Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Light Seals -where the heck are they?

just received my newly cla'd camera and I can't locate the "new" light seals.
Shouldn't new seals be rather obvious?
Mirror bumper in 2 parts.. i.e. a little foam on the right and a little on the left - nothing in the middle.

10-15-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by EyeSpy Quote
just received my newly cla'd camera and I can't locate the "new" light seals.
Shouldn't new seals be rather obvious?
Mirror bumper in 2 parts.. i.e. a little foam on the right and a little on the left - nothing in the middle.
I have no idea what model of camera you have, but there are two things that come to mind:

1. Some cameras have an adjustment screw that is dead center on the edge of the focus screen, sometimes requiring that the mirror foam be "split".

2. The majority of light seals on 35mm SLRs are located around the film door opening on the body.
10-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Steve.
I just checked a Minolta I had CLA'd etc and can't see the foam seals on it either. If the seals are on the body within the grooves it is placed very deep making it difficult to see and therefore lead one to conclude it's a nonsensical design. The seal is not placed on the groove lip to seal light out when door is closed. This sounds like a moronic statement to some I'm sure...but the lightbulb isn't on. For "frame" of reference: Do you have weather stripping on the door frame of your house door? The frame with stripping equates to the "body" and the door equates to the "film door". Hopefully when the door is closed you have a tight seal trapping air out(if you see light..you have a problem).

p.s. i don't wish to discuss the pentax model until I'm convinced the labor and parts paid for were indeed delivered. I have a tendency to rant and rave on something paid for that I have to take on faith instead of a physical and obvious change/look.
10-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From the nature of what you have said I am guessing we are discussing an older camera, perhaps an M or K series body. On those older models, the foam seals do fit into a very deep recess on the back of the body. The idea is that they seal against the edge of the film door.

10-15-2010, 10:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

EyeSpy,

Go to this page, pick a camera and read the instructions. You'll have a good idea where the lightseals are. Heck, you may even decide to do it yourself in the future.

If you do, search for seller "interslice" on FleaBay.

Mirror bumper - 1 or 2 parts doesn't really matter, as long as the mirror bumps into it.
10-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very well. Yes it's a SV. And yes EricH provided the services. So I'm sure everything is in order. The Minolta CLA was serviced by Garry's.

I ordered from interslice(that's JON right?) a kit for for my Fujica ST605 but it is one of those projects that I keep delaying. The results of first roll proved the necessity of that order.
Thank you everyone for the input/replies. It's time to test the SV with the SuperTak 55 1.8 and other screws on hand.