Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by webkrawler Quote
I thought I saw the K1000 on a list somewhere....the 50 best 35mm SLR cameras of all time...I even thought about trying to find one..
I don't see how anybody would put a dumbed-down and less refined spotmatic (with a different lens mount) on a list of the 50 best 35mm cameras. Most popular, maybe.

Paul

12-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Not everybody thinks the K mount is vastly superior to the M42 mount. I don't. I like both just fine and I don't care which I am using really. Simple can be good for some people. I personally like the K-x etc but the one thing I don't like about them is that I have to have video and all that on there just to get a new Pentax camera with a new warranty. I don't use it, never will. It's just an unnecessary feature for me.

The Spotmatic was actually an advanced camera in it's day. It still holds it own in terms of the quality of pictures it can take with many of it's later descendants. Ditto in so far as ease of use. If there is one downside to new technology coming along it's that along with the new tech you inevitably have manuals to read that are a couple of inches thick. My first VCR unit the manual ran about 10 pages I think. The new VCR/DVD unit we have 20 some years later? You practically need a week to read the manual and an engineering degree to be able to set it to simply record a TV episode!

There's good reasons the Spotties and K1000's remain popular. They're good cameras but they don't have a lot of bells and whistles and some people just like that when they are learning. It's hard enough to learn on a camera with just the basics. Learning on one with a lot of technology can make things too hard for some people. I actually wouldn't have an *ist if some guy hadn't bought it and decided that it was just too much camera for him.

I know a guy who has a top of the line Canon that in 2 years of ownership has yet to learn to use it properly just from the tech angle. The guy doesn't even know how to adjust his own white balance or when to switch lenses. He's just running around with what amounts to a $1500 point and shoot. Fact is he would do just as much good shooting with a pocket camera as he does with his Canon but he's the type who just has to think he's a real live pro when it comes to his hobby.

He probably would actually end up being a better photographer if he had to make do with a Spottie for a while, seriously. Maybe the simplicity of it would teach him something real?

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I don't see how anybody would put a dumbed-down and less refined spotmatic (with a different lens mount) on a list of the 50 best 35mm cameras. Most popular, maybe.

Paul
12-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

If you can afford it, why not consider the MX--it's got the small size like the ME super, but more manual control. But the ME Super should really be fine.
12-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nah, it's not "fine" for me. It's got features and a size I like, but buttons that I honestly find hard to use. Hence the fact that I just listed that ME, two other Pentax bodies I had and my Tamron on CL this morning. I still think a K1000 might suit me better, but I'm definitely not into this ME as much as everyone here seems to like it. Sorry guys, might end up with a K1000 SE someday, but not the ME. It's history as soon as I can unload it. Hopefully it will sell off with the rest of my gear in this next week and I'll be able to put some $$$ away in Hello Kitty. The ME is wasted on me, clearly.

12-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

No need to apologize for finding what works for you! Keep the MX in mind, much like the ME in size, but with a normal analog dial interface and none of those buttons (more features than the K1000 SE, but of course pricier). The KX and K2 also come to mind as models you might want to look into that have slightly more features.
12-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Not everybody thinks the K mount is vastly superior to the M42 mount. I don't. I like both just fine and I don't care which I am using really. Simple can be good for some people. I personally like the K-x etc but the one thing I don't like about them is that I have to have video and all that on there just to get a new Pentax camera with a new warranty. I don't use it, never will. It's just an unnecessary feature for me.

The Spotmatic was actually an advanced camera in it's day. It still holds it own in terms of the quality of pictures it can take with many of it's later descendants. Ditto in so far as ease of use. If there is one downside to new technology coming along it's that along with the new tech you inevitably have manuals to read that are a couple of inches thick. My first VCR unit the manual ran about 10 pages I think. The new VCR/DVD unit we have 20 some years later? You practically need a week to read the manual and an engineering degree to be able to set it to simply record a TV episode!

There's good reasons the Spotties and K1000's remain popular. They're good cameras but they don't have a lot of bells and whistles and some people just like that when they are learning. It's hard enough to learn on a camera with just the basics. Learning on one with a lot of technology can make things too hard for some people. I actually wouldn't have an *ist if some guy hadn't bought it and decided that it was just too much camera for him.

I know a guy who has a top of the line Canon that in 2 years of ownership has yet to learn to use it properly just from the tech angle. The guy doesn't even know how to adjust his own white balance or when to switch lenses. He's just running around with what amounts to a $1500 point and shoot. Fact is he would do just as much good shooting with a pocket camera as he does with his Canon but he's the type who just has to think he's a real live pro when it comes to his hobby.

He probably would actually end up being a better photographer if he had to make do with a Spottie for a while, seriously. Maybe the simplicity of it would teach him something real?
I'm not sure you can make a list of "best", but perhaps you could make a list of "most significant", and I think some flavor of spotmatic might make that list. But not the K1000.

Paul
12-06-2010, 05:58 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More than 3 million Pentax K1000 cameras were sold in 20+ years of production.
During that time it was by far the most popular model for students learning 35mm photography.
Many of these cameras continue to serve the original buyers and others to whom they've been passed today.
Of course it is among the most significant cameras ever produced, even if it's not one of your favorites.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 12-06-2010 at 08:35 AM.
12-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
More then 3 million Pentax K1000 cameras were sold in 20+ years of production.
During that time it was by far the most popular model for students learning 35mm photography.
Many of these cameras continue to serve the original buyers and others to whom they've been passed today.
Of course it is among the most significant cameras ever produced, even if it's not one of your favorites.

Chris
True, neither a Toyota Corolla nor a VW beetle excites me, but it would be a stretch to say they are insignificant.
12-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Chris
I guess you're right. Besides, 50 is a big number, and I'm not sure I could select fifty more significant cameras. It just seems that there aren't a lot of other "most significant" products that were specifically designed as a less refined, mostly less capable version of a product that had already been around for a generation.

Paul
12-06-2010, 07:51 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2.2 million Zorki 4 rangefinder cameras were produced by KMZ in Russia over 22 years of production. Fortunately, a serviceable K1000 is a lot easier to find that a good working Zorki.

Did Zorki break into the top 50 list?
12-07-2010, 05:21 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
2.2 million Zorki 4 rangefinder cameras were produced by KMZ in Russia over 22 years of production. Fortunately, a serviceable K1000 is a lot easier to find that a good working Zorki.

Did Zorki break into the top 50 list?
At least you can find out about it for cheap.
12-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
At least you can find out about it for cheap.
Sort of...a Zorki that looks decent enough on the auction listing will set you back the price of the camera plus another $35 for shipping from Russia or Ukraine (total price generally about $75). On this side of the world, Yuri at Fedka gets $119 for a serviced and warrantied Zorki 4K with Jupiter-8 50/2. Yuri provides great customer service and shipping time/cost if there is an issue is much less than if you were dealing with even the best seller in Moscow. Camera shows/swap meets would be another option, but FSU rangefinders are scarce here in the Northwest. As a result, the term "cheap Russian rangefinder" is only true in relative terms in my region.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-07-2010 at 08:21 AM.
12-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sort of...a Zorki that looks decent enough on the auction listing will set you back the price of the camera plus another $35 for shipping from Russia or Ukraine (total price generally about $75). On this side of the world, Yuri at Fedka gets $119 for a serviced and warrantied Zorki 4K with Jupiter-8 50/2. Yuri provides great customer service and shipping time/cost if there is an issue is much less than if you were dealing with even the best seller in Moscow. Camera shows/swap meets would be another option, but FSU rangefinders are scarce here in the Northwest. As a result, the term "cheap Russian rangefinder" is only true in relative terms in my region.

Steve
I was mainly referring to the Ebay prices, which are under $50, sometimes under $30. Who knows what you are getting, but that is true to some extent with the older K bodies that, after paying a good deal more, end up needing new seals and the like. From what I have read, there appear to be all kinds of unique ways a Zorki can get fouled up.
12-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I wish I hadn't known about fedka. Now I'm lamenting my recent KX purchase. (it's got an erratic meter, I paid 2x the cost of a contax copy, I have no K lenses, etc..)
12-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
I wish I hadn't known about fedka. Now I'm lamenting my recent KX purchase. (it's got an erratic meter, I paid 2x the cost of a contax copy, I have no K lenses, etc..)
I have both the KX and the Kiev 4A. I like them both, but the KX is a much more capable camera. What is addictive about the Kiev is the shutter sound, or lack thereof, to be more precise. The shutter is vertical and moves at a fairly slow speed such that the sound is a soft swoosh at faster speeds and a gentle buzz at the slow speeds. There is a price, however. The flash syncs at 1/25s

Steve