Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2010, 05:34 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
ZX-7 Film removal w/o batteries

Hi,
I have been selling off my film systems. I have a ZX-7 that has film in it but the batteries are dead. Really don't want to buy new batteries as I won't get much for the camera anyway.

Can I remove the film, in a dark room environment, without the motordrive operational?

Open the film door, pull the film off the winder and rewind the film back into the film canister. Or will I damage the winder by doing this?

I'd appreciate your insight on this.

Thanks---Larry

12-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need to get the camera in the dark to remove the film without exposing it. Unfortunately a dark room won't quite cut it because of the speed of modern film. If you do not have a changing bag, put your camera into a black garbage bag and have your roomie tape the bag closed around both your arms, then go into the dark room and pull the film as you described. The trick is to not touch the shutter curtains while you do this. The reason you need the dark room as well as the black garbage bag is that garbage bags actually pass some light, even it they are black.

Good luck! I hope the pictures are worth the effort!
12-25-2010, 05:04 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. Looks like the safest is to buy the batteries and not take the chance of damaging the camera and the film. In which case I end up with nothing out of both.
12-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

CR2 battery only costs $1 each at dollar store. You cannot pull the film out because the spool will not rotate in that direction (only rotate in film advance direction). Btw, how much are you selling ZX-7 for?

12-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do not try that, you'll break the infamous plastic gear and render the camera kaput!

The ZX7 is a great camera, the guy that gets it will be quite happy!
12-27-2010, 12:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
CR2 battery only costs $1 each at dollar store. You cannot pull the film out because the spool will not rotate in that direction (only rotate in film advance direction). Btw, how much are you selling ZX-7 for?
Violini,
Looks like I'll find a Dollar Store. Was at the grocery store the other day and they were $9 a pair for the CR2 batteries.

The ZX-7 has a Sigma 28-80 Macro zoom. Would sell for $50. Replied to your private message.

Thanks---Larry
12-27-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That's a very reasonable price. A friend of mine was looking for one. I have a ZX-7 with broken mirror motor gear.

To re-wind at the mid-roll of film, use a tooth-pick to push the switch right below the button for opening the back door and will start the motor inside the spool. The power is transmitted through a series of gears on the bottom plate to the film canister.