Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
Inactive Account

need lens advice

Let me start by saying I know very little to nothing about SLRs.

I've been playing with my P3 for a few months now and take some so-so photos. I'm usually just snapping friends and family. Teaching myself wasn't working out too great so I enrolled in a b&w film class at my college this semester.

I currently have a Pentax-A 50mm F2 lense, but I'm looking for a some-what inexpensive lens that will allow me more depth. I want to be able to take photos of landscape and architecture. Any suggestions?

01-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 50mm is under-appreciated for landscape work - the fashion is to go wide angle. Your pocketbook and eye will tell you how wide - 35mm or 28mm are easy to handle and still cheap. Or try a manual focus zoom that goes to at least 28mm at the wide end. For depth of focus you'll want to stop the lens down some, which makes the differences between lenses far less than if you shot wide open.

The Pentaxes of course, and some of the better third party suppliers are good bets - Vivitar is usually dependably good, sometimes better than good. Tamron adaptalls as well, though unless you already have the adapter, getting an adapter can be a hurdle.

ps. if you have a Pentax digital + kit lens, mount the kit on your film cam, and zoom with it. See what focal length does it for you - or even use the kit lens - you can get pretty wide indeed before it starts to vignette. And it is fun!
01-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brightside Quote
Let me start by saying I know very little to nothing about SLRs.

I've been playing with my P3 for a few months now and take some so-so photos. I'm usually just snapping friends and family. Teaching myself wasn't working out too great so I enrolled in a b&w film class at my college this semester.

I currently have a Pentax-A 50mm F2 lense, but I'm looking for a some-what inexpensive lens that will allow me more depth. I want to be able to take photos of landscape and architecture. Any suggestions?

A-24/2.8, A-50/1.7 if you want to keep with A lenses in case you want to use them on digital. If not the K are the nicest lenses and a K35/3.5 or a K28/3.5 would more than fit the bill.

Cheers,

Luc
01-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks all! I was looking at used lenses in a local camera store and came across a 28mm F3.5, so I'll just go with that one.

01-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks all! I was looking at used lenses in a local camera store and came across a 28mm F3.5, so I'll just go with that one.
yep, that'll work too, landscape rarely require fast lens as you'll be stopping down to f6-8 (some people even stop down more if they can).

the only problem is night shooting with an f3.5 BUT then again you never want to carry expensive running around at night, so it's a moot point, haha, although you can always do long exposure at night (which is kindda fun IMO). again long exposure you won't need fast lens.
01-16-2011, 04:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check out the review for this lens (M Primes M28 3.5) in the Lens review section. I think you made a good decision. I've shot some great landscapes with this lens.
01-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So I just read the listing for the 28mm f/3.5 lens more closely and it says M42 mount. I looked up M42 and everything says that DSLR Pentax cameras are compatible. What about for film cameras?

01-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The Takumar version of the 28/3.5 is a very good lens as well. You'll need a M42 to K adapter - the genuine Pentax is the best, Pentax USA should have them for sale online... Other adapters are cheaper and do work, they just have some annoyances - sometimes they turn too far and you have a moment of 'can I get this off?!!' or they are loose and come off with the lens. But they work! Just don't buy one that has a flange as you will lose infinity focus with those.

I use my screw mount lenses on film cameras all the time - if anything, with film latitude and the (simpler) metering, the results are better with film than with dSLRs.
01-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Nesster! My camera came with a ring and I wasn't sure what to do with it, but now I'm sure it's an adapter. Like I've said before, I know nothing about this stuff.