Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #1

New film user

Hi guys
It so happened that I've been away from film cameras for a few years, but recently I scored an MZ-7 and 3 lenses(28-80, 70-210 and 70-300) and decided to give it a go. Just wondering if there are any MZ-7 users here who would share any advice about camera and what film to use( I purchased some ISO 400 EasyPic at Shoppers - says made in Japan)
Thanks

01-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know much about the MZ-7, but I have lots of experience with the EasyPic film from Shoppers. I used to like to shoot it as it served the purpose, but I now lay out a little bit more for the Fujicolor Superia X-TRA and was much happier. The colours were much more vivid and everything seemed to "pop" just a little bit more.

As for development, I don't know what you're planning to do, but I've been very happy with Shoppers for developing my colour film. I don't have one with a digital centre by me, but they send my film out and by 4-7 days I get my prints back with a CD of my photos. Hey it's not 1/2 hour like the good old days, but hey, it's around the corner from my house. As for B&W, I haven't found a good sol'n yet. I dropped a roll off at shoppers once, but they're expensive and I didn't get a CD back (although I may have lost it). Currently I take it to Bell Arte in Hamilton, and one of there guys takes it home and develops it, also expensive and I get no CD back, but I do get to feel good that I'm putting money back into the local shop and I get to be a regular somewhere (and I suppose that's something). Anyway there's options out there.

Happy Shooting

Elliot
01-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Elliot
I'm in Hamilton too. I found a Fortino's near me has an hour service for 6.99
So I hope they'll do a good job. The only reason I went with easypic - it's on sale.
Where do you buy Fuji? I checked around and it seems that the cheapest would be to order from B&H. What ISO do you prefer? I went with 400, cause there is no anti shake on MZ-7.
Have tried Fuji professional line of films?
Thanks again
Leo
01-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #4

Original Poster
One more question - if I purchase a lens with K mount(not KAF) would I still be able to use MZ-7 ability to find correct exposure? Just by setting aperture and f-stop manually and checking exposure scale in viewfinder?
Thanks

01-17-2011, 08:11 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sahara888 Quote
Thanks Elliot
I'm in Hamilton too. I found a Fortino's near me has an hour service for 6.99
So I hope they'll do a good job. The only reason I went with easypic - it's on sale.
Where do you buy Fuji? I checked around and it seems that the cheapest would be to order from B&H. What ISO do you prefer? I went with 400, cause there is no anti shake on MZ-7.
Have tried Fuji professional line of films?
Thanks again
Leo
Leo,

Coincidentally I picked up the Fuji at Fortinos when I saw it on sale. As for film preferences, I haven't really looked around for different colour films. I started to shoot some colour, but now I generally pickup my K20 (although currently I have half a roll of colour to go and now I'm looking if I can see a difference between use of skylight filter or not). Right now I'm starting to get more curious at looking different B&W films. I tried out Ilford FP4 and I was very pleased and currently, I have a roll of Kodak 400CN (their C-41-colour chemistry B&W film) and Ilford Delta 3200 loaded. Although the 3200 was because I wanted to do some low light shooting without flash.

Like you I started with iso400, mainly due to habit. Although because I had issues with sunny days (I had to stop down way more than I wanted to) I checked out the FP4 (iso 125) where I was going to bulk buy to keep costs down until I found out about Foma which I heard some good things about, so before I pull the trigger on 100' of film I think that I'll experiment a little more.

As for professional films, I haven't used much in my 35 mm cameras, but ironically enough, I tried out Ektar and I've currently got a roll of 400 ISO Portra in my wife's Diana+ (plastic toy camera) and I've been very pleased with the Ektar, we have to see on the Portra.

For buying film, I typically pick up at Bell Arte (mainly because it's close to work), but I've heard that Burlington Camera also has a very good selection. I want to buy from B&W or other places in the States but the shipping to the Great White North is far too expensive, so currently I'm waiting until I have a business trip down there.

I know that my answers to your questions have probably been less than satisfying, but this is very much a learning experience for me.

Take care

Elliot
01-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would recommend trying some rolls of color, and, if you want to work in B&W, some of kodak's C-41 process B&W, and if you like the experience and feel like you're going to stick with film (I hope you will) get set up for home developing of B&W. Then you can mess around with all kinds of films, even some more esoteric European stuff, and maybe a love-hate relationship with Shanghai films.

I shoot on a KX (Film) and a Spotmatic, so I don't know much about your camera (or zooms, for that matter) but I'm sure someone here can help you with that.
01-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
get set up for home developing of B&W.
was just what i was going to say
you don't need much to set up a litle studio..just somewhere that can be made dark, the liquids, and you don't even need an amplifier, just a scanner with a "negative's" light.
I just got into film myself and there are lots of B&W films at a fair price.

01-17-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sahara888 Quote
if I purchase a lens with K mount(not KAF) would I still be able to use MZ-7 ability to find correct exposure? Just by setting aperture and f-stop manually and checking exposure scale in viewfinder?
Sure can.
For "A" type lens you might disregard below as it should meter close in all modes.
For 2 lens types below, Av or Manual modes desired.

Can share what Ive encountered in using "K" and "M" series lens with my ZX-M
and ZX-L's and relate from K20D also.

In using both those series of len's on K20D, have found on average I have to add
-2/3 stop EV compensation( Lets say outdoors, 2 hours after sunrise, 2 hours before
sun set)[-,negative EV = increase shutter speed, ie. from 1/100 to 1/180]

With that experience in hand, have applied in same manner to 2 film bodies mentioned
and its fairly close. A lot of variables there, Im sure it will not be a perfect fit for you.
Might save you a little film though, as you shoot and establish your own baseline.