Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #1

Flare or bad light seals or...

I've noticed that a number of the frames I shoot with my Pentax ME Super have these streaked/fogged looking areas as evidenced in the photos I'm attaching. It appears to happen no matter the lens. Is this flare or does it appear to be a camera problem? I had the camera serviced by Eric Hendricks this summer but the problem persists. I've noticed that on the reels with the fogging problem there are usually issues with negative spacing as well. Certain reels come out fine, others have this fogging and overlapping negs. Does anyone have a diagnosis?

thanks,
davide

Attached Images

01-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice cats - it's a light leak, probably something with the shutter. Send back to Eric.
01-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ME Super has a vertical travel shutter so the pattern on #1 doesn't quite fit.

My vote goes for light leak due to bad seals or (more likely) worn out re-usable film cassette or exposure of the film to light at some point other than at exposure time. Does the fog extend past the margin of the frame?

As for the frame spacing issue, make sure that the rewind shaft is turning freely and lubricate if needed. Beyond that, there is a tension adjustment that can help and Eric might be your best resource. Another possibility, again related to re-usable cassettes, is that your film was not loaded evenly onto the reel (skewed to one side) and is not feeding evenly across the frame causing drag.

Steve
01-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hi,

I've contacted Eric and will be sending the camera back to him. I shot using Arista Premium, TMAX, Tri-X and Efke rolls, no hand-loads.

01-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the question of if the fogging goes past the edges of the frame might be relevant, ....from what I see it looks like it's possible the back was opened or something. How that could happen multiple times without notice, I dunno, though.
01-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #6

Original Poster
It does go past the edges. Eric says this might be a sign that the back door is bent or that the light seals are bad. I shot a roll of Kodak Ektar and it didn't appear to have any of these issues which is what surprises me.
01-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I had something similar to this with mine, just needed a little TLC.