Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Ilford Black & White Film Newbee...

I'm currently looking for an ME Super or K1000... Film is new to me and just wanted to check somethings out...

They may not come in a sensible order and I apologize for that now

Ilford do 120 roll film... I don't want this do I?
Stick to something like HP5 36exposure right?
What is 120 roll film?

Have a friend who develops his own film... has said he'll show me how to develop negatives... Can I then just scan negatives and enlarge and process on lightroom3 with the stuff from my K-x dslr or is there other software I should think about getting?

01-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
  • Both the K1000 and ME Super are 35mm cameras
  • 35mm cameras take 35mm film. Ilford makes film in this size.
  • HP5 is a traditional high speed (ISO 400) film that is good for low light work
  • Ilford also makes 120 size film
  • 120 size film is used in medium format cameras such as the Pentax 645 and 6x7
  • Yes, you can scan negatives you process yourself. Lightroom can be used with those digitized images and is a great tool for that job.

Steve
01-20-2011, 05:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like Steve said
120 film is not for the camera you have. This film is made for Medium Format (6cm wide) cameras.

You need 35mm film, like HP5 36exp or FP4 36exp. Developing yourself is oodles of fun and will give you lotsof control over your results.
Scanning is doable, and any image processing software is good for this.
Just in case Lightroom is not good enough for you check this:
32 Freeware tools for photographers
01-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you want to try b&w film, but don't want to develop the traditional way, you can get 'chromogenic' film that any minilab that does color film will develop - and scan - for you.
Ilford's version is XP2 Super, ISO 400 - Kodak's is BW400CN, also ISO 400

Welcome to ILFORD PHOTO

As mentioned above, you want the 35mm and not the 120

01-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ilford, while good, is quite expensive. For something that has the same level of quality control and consistency, at a lower price, which will allow you to shoot (and thus learn) more I would recommend Kentmere. The only reason I say so is because of all the errors I made on my first few rolls of film. Of course, I was completely new to photography, so I had a much steeper learning curve than someone who is going from digital to film. I just thought I might recommend a less pricey but equally consistent film.
01-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cheers for all the replies

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
If you want to try b&w film, but don't want to develop the traditional way, you can get 'chromogenic' film that any minilab that does color film will develop - and scan - for you. Ilford's version is XP2 Super, ISO 400
I picked up a couple of rolls of this today along with an ME-super with 50 1.7 M-lens

Shot about 20 today will shoot some more tomorrow if I get chance... Local camera shop can develop the xp2 in-house and scan to disk for £5... So will do that to start with...

Cheers for the feedback and support... Much obliged

Dave
01-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Cheers for all the replies

I picked up a couple of rolls of this today along with an ME-super with 50 1.7 M-lens

Shot about 20 today will shoot some more tomorrow if I get chance... Local camera shop can develop the xp2 in-house and scan to disk for £5... So will do that to start with...

Cheers for the feedback and support... Much obliged

Dave
20 ROLLS? I wish I could afford to blow through that much Ilford nonchalantly. That M 50mm is good, congratulations on the new equipment. I'd love to see some shots, as I've never used Xp-2.

01-21-2011, 04:42 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
20 ROLLS? I wish I could afford to blow through that much Ilford nonchalantly.
Dave's in Yorkshire.

And the f1.4 50mm is an amazing lens.
01-21-2011, 05:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
20 ROLLS? I wish I could afford to blow through that much Ilford nonchalantly. That M 50mm is good, congratulations on the new equipment. I'd love to see some shots, as I've never used Xp-2.
HA! 20 shots!! Bought 2 Rolls... I'm a mature student, money is tight so this was a big treat for me!! (although I am watching an mg, coupled with a 40mm f2 pancake...)

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Dave's in Yorkshire. And the f1.4 50mm is an amazing lens.
Yep I am... Its the 1.7 though unfortuatly... Still lovely though...

Don't see many pentax dslr's around at big events but now that I'm looking and talking to people there seem to be a lot of 35mm pentax cameras about... Everyone seems to have one that they can't bear to part with... Even if they don't use it!
01-22-2011, 07:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
HA! 20 shots!! Bought 2 Rolls... I'm a mature student, money is tight so this was a big treat for me!! (although I am watching an mg, coupled with a 40mm f2 pancake...)

Yep I am... Its the 1.7 though unfortuatly... Still lovely though...

Don't see many pentax dslr's around at big events but now that I'm looking and talking to people there seem to be a lot of 35mm pentax cameras about... Everyone seems to have one that they can't bear to part with... Even if they don't use it!
The 50mm 1.7 is a fine lens--sharp and compact with a bright finder that gives you to positives of the film experience. You have a great rig for learning film. enjoy, and decide you like moving to 30 year old film equipment before investing in more.

You mention the 40mm pancake, and I am also currently addicted to the 40mm FL on film. For me, it is the closest thing to my natural field of view. Lately, I find myself walking the streets and trails (and my home and yard) as much as I can with my tiny minimalist rig of an MX and Voigtländer Ultron 2.0. Not only are the M and A series film bodies tiny, the viewfinders are so bright that composing through it is a joy, though I could compose a 40mm shot almost without it. Perhaps in the UK the prices are different, but I found the used prices for immediate purchase on Ebay and other widely available sources to be too high for the 70-80s era Pentax pancake, given its features and performance, and kicked a bit more for the faster, sharper, shutter priority-capable Ultron while they were still available. Sadly, they are no longer made in PK mount.

Last edited by GeneV; 01-22-2011 at 07:54 AM.
01-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
You have a great rig for learning film. enjoy, and decide you like moving to 30 year old film equipment before investing in more.
Oh... I definitely like it.... It has a very different 'working speed' to it... On my K-x I kinda just try things out and review on screen til I get what works... The ME-Super makes me slow down a lot... Really work on good angles, composition and dof...

May have also accidentally ebay'd a k1000, MG and a second MEsuper (first one was all black) really just because they look so sexy!!!

Student loan has taken a kicking!!

Ilford, while good, is quite expensive. For something that has the same level of quality control and consistency, at a lower price, which will allow you to shoot (and thus learn) more I would recommend Kentmere.
Cheers... I'll deffo look into that...

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
You mention the 40mm pancake, and I am also currently addicted to the 40mm FL on film. For me, it is the closest thing to my natural field of view.
Yeah, I've got a 28mm f2.8 and a couple 50's (1x f1.7 and 1x f2 which I find nowhere near as sharp!)... The 28mm is often too wide and the 50mm... Just not quite wide enough... Just missed one (40mm) there are a few more in the next few days I'm watching tho...

Cheers again all for the replies and support

Dave
01-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
  • HP5 is a traditional high speed (ISO 400) film that is good for low light work

Steve
Had to giggle at this... imagine the 'I must have usable 51200ISO' brigade dealing with this!
01-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
Had to giggle at this... imagine the 'I must have usable 51200ISO' brigade dealing with this!
I've only started to take an interest in the technicalities for the last 10 minutes (you know what I mean) but that's brought a smile to my face (but I do confess that if I had the money, I'd be buying the latest gadget with the 'best' specifications every other day!)
01-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'd check out the 35mm f2.8....its cheaper and has a shorter minimum focus distance and larger focus ring. Its also a slightly better fit between 28 and 50 in my opinion (midway would be 1.33*28=37mm).

Check out 7dayshop for your next film purchases. Ilford is expensive but very good for pushing to 1600 in my experience. But something like Neopan 400 is about half the price. Agphotographic in Brum are great for chemicals.