Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I am assuming you are referring to my first posts, yeah I did bid on that it actually went to 160, I got a much better deal on the one I posted right before your post I think.

01-31-2011, 01:01 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If that one works as good as it looks you got yourself a bargain!

Chris
01-31-2011, 02:05 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I sure hope so :-)

Thanks!
01-31-2011, 02:31 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't forget, if it needs seals and foam, CLA or any repair Eric is the best...

Chris

01-31-2011, 03:11 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well I will keep that in mind but I sure hope everything is in good condition.
01-31-2011, 05:59 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We live in hope, but remember it is a 30 year-old camera.
If serviced it will be a reliable tool for another 20+ years...

Chris
02-01-2011, 12:48 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well I hope I have as much luck as I did with my Minolta SRT 201 I bought a couple years ago, that things still perfectly fine.

Thanks! Sounds good.

02-01-2011, 01:22 AM   #23
Veteran Member

If it does not affect use and cheap enough, yes I would.
02-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I can't believe this, so I got the Camera right, first thing I notice when I look through the view finder is tons of black particles, I mean a lot, not just one or two that nag me, I think its breaking off from the top from what I can tell(MIRROR FOAM VERY BRITTLE, Breaks apart unlike my Minolta and Nikon EM which are soft). I try blowing them off and there are just to many, next I check out the lens and it is starting to form fungus on the rear end....Also the back seems to click a bit when pushed in, might mean its loose? I am not sure.

Dammit. I guess I have to return this? Looks brand new on the outside, this is a huge shame! :-/

Viewfinder:

Name:  P1070433.jpg
Views: 2790
Size:  100.3 KB

Lens:

Name:  P1070435.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  94.6 KB

Now this lens when I opened up the package it had mosture on both ends and the Aperture ring was super stiff until I played with it and it became more normalized.

Also the case it came in looked old in a way where you can kinda tell its been effected by waterlog or moisture :-( . Haha to top it off the Legacy Pro 100 film I order from Freestyle was just canceled becuase it is now gone forever lmao.

Last edited by Abstract; 02-02-2011 at 04:20 PM.
02-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unless recently serviced mirror bumper foam and film door light seals replacement are to be expected for a 30 year-old camera.
You aren't likely to find a Pentax MX in better cosmetic condition. Instead of returning it consider investing in a CLA, about $80.
Eric Hendickson does marvelous work. He can clean up that focusing screen and can often save fungused lenses.

Chris
02-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Unless recently serviced mirror bumper foam and film door light seals replacement are to be expected for a 30 year-old camera.
You aren't likely to find a Pentax MX in better cosmetic condition. Instead of returning it consider investing in a CLA, about $80.
Eric Hendickson does marvelous work. He can clean up that focusing screen and can often save fungused lenses.

Chris
What he said. ^^ It's worth the money if you are going to use the camera. Hell, it's worth it even if you are just going to put the thing on display, IMO.

Also, don't try to clean the focusing screen yourself, unless you really know what you are doing. People ruin them all the time trying to clean them. Solvents are damaging, even contact from a finger or cloth can be counterproductive.
02-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
yeah I got out bid anyways, he did have 7 days return. Thanks though, I am keeping my eye out, lost by 15 dollars, shame really, oh well, maybe next time. Probably should save some cash first anyways.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.
you were outbid by the max i would have paid

my MX needs the rewinder replaced but it came as part of a larger bundle so i would have valued it at $25 out of the bundle with the 50 f1.7
02-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm late!
I have a K2 with a horrible dent right over the prism. It's a very beat up camera and cost me $26 bucks. It takes good photos and the only thing that doesn't work is the self timer. It winds and goes but doesn't trip the shutter.

I have a K1000 that I once dropped out of a helicopter. No dents, just scratches. It sustained a pretty good hit and took a new mirror box and shutter recalibration +CLA to repair. You'd never know it took such a beating from the way it looks.

I guess my point is that it's a pig in a poke.
02-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I have quite a few M-series (MX, ME, ME-super) cameras, and there are lots of pentaprism hump dents, but I haven't particularly attributed this to any camera performance issues. It seems obvious to me that Pentax used thinner-than-usual materials here. If I was looking for a pristine body, I'd of course be looking at and worrying about that...but if you're going to use it a lot, maybe it's not worth paying top dollar to find a 'perfect' example.

One of my MX's has an above-average amount of viewfinder crud, similar to the one you show. Note that while annoying, shouldn't affect photographs.