Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Help - pricing?

I work for a local no-kill animal shelter and they received some vintage Pentax cameras (K1000 and KM) as donations. They look amazingly clean inside and appear to work perfectly.

I was hoping someone could give me a general range of realistic pricing.
I tried looking on eBay but find it hard to believe the ones listed at $300 would sell.
Then again, I see some as low as $15.
That's quite a range.

I didn't find much in the for sale section on this site either.

Anyone have suggestions for possible realistic pricing where these might actually sell?

Thanks!!

01-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If you provide some photos to be able to see the cosmetic also it would help as this would define the pricing.
ARe the proceed of the sale going to the shelter?

Cheers,

Luc
01-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks! Yeah, all proceeds go to the shelter. Its a non-profit, but the people that run the re-sale side of things know nothing about this sort of stuff. I know just slightly more when the stuff gets to be more than 10-20 years old.

The images are a bit large so hopefully you can zoom in. I hope it shows enough detail to make a general assessment. The cameras are in pretty good shape, but have some wear... e.g. the KM has a spot on the top where the silver was worn off. The insides are immaculate, and as far as I can tell everything works.
The leather is not peeling.

KM & K1000
http://moringello-east.no-ip.com/public/cameras/cameras_large.jpg

50mm f2.0 lens
http://moringello-east.no-ip.com/public/cameras/lens_50_2.0_large.jpg

55mm 1.8 lens
http://moringello-east.no-ip.com/public/cameras/lens_55_1.8_large.jpg
01-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well they look good. I would say that $100 for each camera mentioning that the proceeds go to a shelter. I would say $50~70 for the K-55/1.8 based on the state of the glass, the body looks good.
The 50/2, I do not know as there are so many better lenses in 50mm, I would maybe throw it in with one of the body.
If I did not have too many camera already I would have taken the K1000 but Iam selling more than buying my 35mm stuff.

Cheers,

Luc

01-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Nice acquisition! If I didn't already have a complete filter kit I'd be tempted to make you an offer. If you're going to include the Ilford filters, make sure potential buyers know those are for enlargers, not cameras.

Check the foam lights seals around the back of the cam (where the edges of the door fit into the camera, on the hinge side of the body and the outside corners of the door itself) as well as the foam mirror damper. If those are missing, sticky or crumbling (which most original seals will be) that'll cost $10 (for the eBay interslice kits) to fix. Easy repair, I've done a bunch.

Locally (NW Florida) these cameras with a stock 50mm lens have been going for about $80. The 50mm lenses themselves, possibly $30-$50. But of course different cities have different markets. If you're in a more upscale neighborhood, $100-$150 for the cameras might sell.

In my local Goodwill and charity thrift stores I've seen many of these cameras go for $15-$30 without a lens...location, location, location!

Good luck!

Last edited by kerne; 01-30-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Clarified last price point.
02-01-2011, 01:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

They look quite good condition.
02-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Well they look good. I would say that $100 for each camera mentioning that the proceeds go to a shelter. I would say $50~70 for the K-55/1.8 based on the state of the glass, the body looks good.
The 50/2, I do not know as there are so many better lenses in 50mm, I would maybe throw it in with one of the body.
If I did not have too many camera already I would have taken the K1000 but Iam selling more than buying my 35mm stuff.

Cheers,

Luc
I would estimate a little lower than Luc.

Pricing depends a lot on what part of the country and what country you are in. It being a benefit sale affects the prices if sold at a local thrift shop or charity auction, but won't help much on eBay. Here in the Portland area a clean K1000 with Pentax-A 50/2 will sell for about $130 high retail with new seals and 30-day warranty. Yours appears to be the earlier metal body model and should fetch a price at that higher end. The KM, body only, would sell for about $45-$65 high retail with new seals with some discount being taken for the wear I see on your copy with $40 being what I would offer. The Pentax-K 55/1.8 can go anywhere from $35 to $75 based on condition. It is an excellent lens (I own one) but is generally a little under-valued in my opinion. I would ask $100 for the KM + 55/1.8 if sold together.

Add the filters for each camera to the deal for another $15.

Do either of the cameras have their cases? If in reasonable condition, those sell separately for about $15 and can make a camera more salable if bundled at no additional cost.

All of the above assumes that the cameras are in full working condition with the possible exception of needing new seals.

Steve

02-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the comments. It is all very helpful.