Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I came across this while getting things for an Archive thread I'm starting.

[IMGtall]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/Tests/Ricoh08106.jpg[/IMGtall]
Do you have the rest of the article? (Modern Photography, I believe...I bought that issue of the magazine way back then.)

Steve

02-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I loved my XR-7, it was like the best of both the ME Super and the MX. Av mode worked well, DOF preview, aperture setting window... all very nice. Plus it was just a little spongy in hand, which sounds bad but was actually delightful. The only downside for me was the difficulty in reading the shutter speed in off light. Still not sure why I sold it in a fit off camera clean-out, but found an XR-1 to take its place which I also enjoy.
02-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Do you have the rest of the article? (Modern Photography, I believe...I bought that issue of the magazine way back then.)

Steve
I've posted the rest with the first page up the thread.
02-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
I loved my XR-7, it was like the best of both the ME Super and the MX. Av mode worked well, DOF preview, aperture setting window... all very nice. Plus it was just a little spongy in hand, which sounds bad but was actually delightful. The only downside for me was the difficulty in reading the shutter speed in off light. Still not sure why I sold it in a fit off camera clean-out, but found an XR-1 to take its place which I also enjoy.
Sounds great, Hope I get a good one! I will post pictures if I do, also looking at a KX but I heard thats giant also...not so sure haha..

02-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
also looking at a KX but I heard thats giant also
I have both...like both...will sell neither...
02-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Well its on its way, came with a official M42 adapter(been meaning to pick that up anyways) and a Mamiya-Sekor 1:1.8 f=55mm for 37+13 shipping, Hope its good :-).

How is this lens, never heard of the brand honestly...
02-05-2011, 05:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

The XR-7 reminds me of my Minolta X-700's. I'm going to watch for one to use with my K 28mm/3.5. Thanks for the info Steve et al.

02-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Abstract, I have a Mamiya-Sekor 58mm f/1.7 m42 lens that is just dynamite. I can get pictures from it as good as those with any lens I've tried, and I have tried a lot. I hope your 55 mm will give you similar results!

Ron Heron (I think that is the name) has a nice Mamiya-Sekor 35mm page.
02-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
Well its on its way, came with a official M42 adapter(been meaning to pick that up anyways) and a Mamiya-Sekor 1:1.8 f=55mm for 37+13 shipping, Hope its good :-).

How is this lens, never heard of the brand honestly...

Never heard of Mamiya-Sekor?

They're bigger in the Medium Format world, but made some very fine 35mm equipment. There MF lenses are supposed to be quite good, and the 55 1.4 has a laundry list of good reviews. If I'm correct the 1.8 is the same optically, just designed to be a bit lighter and more compact, as well as cheaper. I'm sure you'll find it to be a fine lens, although it may be single coated, and so may not perform as well as SMC Pentax glass in some respects it should be a fine piece of Japanese glass from the golden age of manual 35mm SLRs.
02-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #25

Out of curiosity how does the XR-7 compare to XR-P? I have the latter and quite like it, but I don't think I've used it enough to justify a strong opinion. Seems like Ricoh made quite a strong lineup of manual SLRs back in the days.
02-06-2011, 12:11 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Wow so I also scored a great lens, nice, guy said it was in perfect condition, nice, thanks a lot! I looked it up, its one of the Thorium lenses(Radioactive), always wondered about those, might bring it to my college and test it just out of curiosity. I am sure I can find a teacher that would also be interested haha.
02-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SquintyEyes Quote
Out of curiosity how does the XR-7 compare to XR-P? I have the latter and quite like it, but I don't think I've used it enough to justify a strong opinion. Seems like Ricoh made quite a strong lineup of manual SLRs back in the days.
The XR7 came out a couple of years before the XR-P. Construction, size, and weight is similar, but your XR-P is MUCH more feature-rich. It was one of the more advanced cameras of the day.

Steve
02-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #28
Veteran Member

One factor to consider is whether you have any interest in shutter-priority or Program AE modes--these cameras don't take advantage of Pentax-A lenses, instead they have an alternate incompatible Ricoh-P variation on the K-mount.
02-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
One factor to consider is whether you have any interest in shutter-priority or Program AE modes--these cameras don't take advantage of Pentax-A lenses, instead they have an alternate incompatible Ricoh-P variation on the K-mount.
That is so true for the XR-P. It supports multiple exposure modes, but only with the proprietary Ricoh-P variant of the K-mount. Some third-party manufacturers made a hybrid Ricoh/Pentax mount that has both Ricoh-P and Pentax-A contacts and those are cross compatible between the brands. The main issue with Ricoh-P mount lenses is the presence of a pin that on some versions may lodge into the AF drive on Pentax AF bodies. That is the infamous Ricoh "Pin".

The XR7 and its clones only support Av and manual and work fine with all K-mount lenses that have an aperture ring. Likewise the XR Rikenon lenses made for that camera are also compatible with all K-mount bodies.

Steve
02-07-2011, 12:57 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Hmm I did not know of the XR-P, that one seems to go for just as cheap...damn :-/ haha....

Am I missing much? Besides auto modes, everything else is just as good?

Last edited by Abstract; 02-07-2011 at 01:49 AM.