Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K1000 for free...

My neighbor has a K1000 sitting in his drawer. He offered it to me to use / keep last night and, even though I know its a good camera, I told him to hang onto it. He also gave me his Telesor 75-300 which was lying unboxed in the drawer, not in great shape. I figured I'd try it out.
I already have one good film SLR, a Canon Rebel 650 that takes incredible pictures. And it sits in it's case because I can't afford film AND developing. Food and rent are priorities.

Question is, and I am tempted, do I take the K1000 anyway because I know it takes great pictures? I hate to see it get thrown out or ruined ( it was sitting open in the drawer along with the lens..).

Everything I've read says this is one great SLR. I'm guessing everyone here will tell me it's worth having in my collection, correct??

03-08-2011, 02:00 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Once people know you take care of orphaned cameras they do start accummulating - take it - it probably has a reasonable fast 50 lens on it as well that you can experiment with...
03-08-2011, 02:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Heck yeah. Even if you really feel you can't use it then take it and pass it along to someone else who can. The K1000 is a great camera and it's a real shame to let one sit in a drawer, IMHO. I wouldn't pass that one up. Do it.
03-08-2011, 04:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Ditto the above. Accept it, and express great gratitude. Hey, I had to *pay* for my K1000! Throw some 135 carts into it and WAIL!

03-08-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just one cloud here--how long has it been sitting in the drawer, and how do you know it still takes great photos? If you don't know, then is it worth $70 to you for a CLA, or would someone else who really wants it be a better recipient?
03-08-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As it has been said:
Take it and if you are sure ,or realize after some time, that you won't use it pass it on
I got my film camera that way..and it's the same for film and devellopment with me...sooo i just buy B&W kodak films and devellop them myself (if you do that you'll see it's pretty affordable).
03-09-2011, 12:23 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
K1000

thanks...appreciate the replies. I'd love to see how well it takes pictures if nothing else. And if I do 'keep' it as offered, I will certainly pass it on to a deserving person if the right moment arrives.

As much as I appreciate my K-x, I really prefer the old SLR cameras and if I had the money would probably do most of my photographs with film (as long as film exists). But it is hard to beat the instant 'develop' of pictures as well as the ease of posting that digital offers.

It's also a pleasure to have cameras like a K1000 available to use and compare. I may even try to set up a comparison between the two - could be interesting.

Grateful for all the responses..
Gene