Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
Forum Member

Is my (new) Zenit Auto broken?

Hey everyone

Just got a Zenit Auto (for the helios 44k(, from ebay and it arrived today.

I'm a complete film newbie.

I was messing around with the camera today, with no film, pulled the film advance lever and it got stuck... pulled it a bit more then it went forward forcefully.

Now my mirror seems to be stuck up...

Any suggestions to fix it?

It would be great to fix it so I can try out shooting film... though I was just after the lens that came with it really

many thanks,

vince

03-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like your mechanism locked up - google 'locked up zenit' or similar and there may be advice on the net about how to reset. Usually this is caused by some part of the gear train getting in its own way.
03-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks I'll have a look later tonight - need to run a few errands for now.

I did have a look at the camera with the lens off - seems to b a spring and metal bit which looks like it shd b attached to something else to bring the mirrow down, if i pull the metal bit it does bring the mirror down... think I bust the film advance lever too though.

Looks like I might b after another film body, tho not a zenit as it looks as though mirror problems are common
03-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I had your problem too with my Zenit TTL, it's easily fixable by a pro. I had it repaired just because it was my father's, I don't use it anymore because Pentax cameras are so much better.

03-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
I had your problem too with my Zenit TTL, it's easily fixable by a pro. I had it repaired just because it was my father's, I don't use it anymore because Pentax cameras are so much better.
sounds like mine needs a fix from what I've seen on the web. If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for the fix? I didnt pay much for the camera and the helios 44k lens which was what I was really after - £40gbp roughly 60usd, so i guess a fix would b more than likely more than wt i paid?
03-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Where did you buy that camera from? I payed less for my MX with 50mm 1.7 lens.
Anyway, there were two guys in town that could do the job, one wanted $20 and the other $30. Don't ask my why I payed 30, I really don't know. That repairman is a crazy old crook that only knows how to repair Soviet stuff, and he didn't even CLA it for that price, just fixed the shutter. I gave him my ME Super to clean it and he broke it! So admittedly fixing Russian cameras is easy, since even that guy did it. You just need the proper screwdrivers and a good manual.
03-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I got it from ebay - I wanted the helios 44k lens badly ;-) You got a great deal for the mx + 50mm, I'm keepin my eye out for one now :-) I guess you went for the $30 one because we all perceive quality with high price, though its not always true.

Think I've given up tryin to get the Zenit Auto to work for now - R I P