Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asaru Quote
OK. Thanks. So just to recap.

1. I have shot metered manual, with an MX, since the mid-eighties.

2. Intentionally crippling the MX by pulling the batteries out is artificial and for me, anyway, doesn't really work.

3. I have an unmetered SL. Shooting with it does work.

4. I'm not in the market for more cameras.

5. My question has been, can the MX lenses be mounted on the SL.

6. There seems to be no really good solution.

7. The one possible way without losing focusing range nor changing the effective focal lengths, and that is with a modified one-stop losing teleconverter at the back and a one-stop (presumably) losing wide-angle front-end, is not good optically nor recommended.

8. I guess I'll just need to explore the limits of 55mm:1.8 for when I want to shoot unmetered. And save up for more good M42 lenses, perhaps.

Thanks, guys.
I guess the issue is, why is there such a fascination with shooting unmetered?

If you have an MX, it is a fine camera (not my favourite due to size, but that is a personal choise) why not just use it.

I just don't get where you are heading with this, especially considering youo only have one screw mount lens it appears at present. Just use an adaptor ring on that lens with the MX and you will be much better off.

Although upon reflection, it does seem to be a great justification for LBA

03-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I guess the issue is, why is there such a fascination with shooting unmetered?
Strange as it may seem, I also sort of enjoy shooting without a built-in meter. I actually tend to get better results since I tend to be more aware of the light.

Steve