Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
Forum Member

Replacement Body Caps

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm looking to get some body caps for my Pentax cameras (6 K Mount and 1 M42 Screw Mount). I'm also looking for a battery door for an MX Winder.

Is generic on eBay the best place, or is there some reliable online source for Pentax parts?

04-05-2011, 04:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I bought some 49" front caps, rear lens caps, and body caps from this ebay seller [AMERICAN EAGLE FILTERS ACCESSORIES items - Get great deals on CANON EOS BODY CAPS 10 CAPS items on eBay Stores!]. The body caps were pretty good IMHO.

Tim
04-05-2011, 04:51 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by myfotoguy Quote
I'm looking to get some body caps for my Pentax cameras (6 K Mount and 1 M42 Screw Mount). I'm also looking for a battery door for an MX Winder.

Is generic on eBay the best place, or is there some reliable online source for Pentax parts?
That depends on how much you are willing to pay. KEH has Pentax body caps for $6.00. M42 caps are between $4.00 and $12.00.
04-05-2011, 05:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am a little amazed at the prices these things are selling for. Even the generics are pricey.

Search on Ebay and use the plural, caps. Some Chinese seller is/was selling them in multi-paks. That was the best, total, delivered, price I found for generics.

04-05-2011, 05:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Bought as generic packs on eBay, they're cheap. Some dealers offer PK or M42 body caps and rear lens caps, either as prepacked sets or as your choice -- any 10, mixed as you will. I bought a pile a couple months ago; they were about US$1 per cap for PK, US$2 each for M42.

I find it very useful to have a load of body caps, as lens adapters. Huh? I'm still accumulating enlarger & projector & folder and other oddball nonfocusing lenses. So it's no big deal to take a one-buck body cap, dremel a hole in it, screw in the odd lens, mount on bellows, and GO!

Some of the older Asahi body caps are flexible rubberized plastic, suitable for sealing the camera body and nothing else. The cheap caps in my last purchases are stiff hard plastic, nice and sturdy. I think my lowest-cost source was a dealer in Los Angeles. Quick shipping in USA!
04-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Good info, thanks gang!
04-05-2011, 06:57 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

heavystar on eBay often has bulk deals and his prices are generally pretty fair.

Steve

04-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try this place-
Rear Lens Caps and Body Caps

They're cheap and reliable. All of the M42 caps I've bought from them have been hard plastic, made by an Indian company called Sonia Photographic. They work, and there isn't too much more to be said about rear caps.
04-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks again! I ended up ordering through Camera Filters and heavystar on ebay.

Thanks!

Last edited by myfotoguy; 04-05-2011 at 12:51 PM.
04-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most no brand caps caps fit poorly; sometimes so loose they'll fall off.
The original Pentax caps ones are worth spending the extra money on.
Unless your cameras aren't worth six bucks apiece to you...

Chris
04-07-2011, 03:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Most no brand caps caps fit poorly; sometimes so loose they'll fall off.
The original Pentax caps ones are worth spending the extra money on.
I have never had a cheap 3rd-party body cap even threaten to fall off my 4 PK-mount bodies. Such caps have been more sturdily built than official Pentax caps and are suitable for supporting lenses with odd mounts, as I mentioned above. Rear lens caps are another matter, and sometimes specific caps work with specific lenses best.
04-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
heavystar on eBay often has bulk deals and his prices are generally pretty fair.

Steve
Yeah, and he's actually a fairly nice guy. I'm kind of a regular customer since he carries my default brand of hoods and step rings and such, but he does not suck.
04-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Yeah, and he's actually a fairly nice guy. I'm kind of a regular customer since he carries my default brand of hoods and step rings and such, but he does not suck.
Fast to ship too.

Steve
04-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

good information.

and ..how about source of flash sync socket for old camera like Pentax MX or K2?

any info?