Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2011, 03:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What are good buying sites...apart from Ebay?

I've bought most of my Screwmount stuff via Ebay....don't really know any others...apart from the Forum of course.
I suppose I shouldn't expect others to disclose "sites" that they want to keep to thmselves for obvious reasons (fair enough), but if anyone knows any good places to look for screwmount stuff, & they feel like revealing it...that would be good.
Thanks, Pickles.

04-11-2011, 04:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the only place that comes to mind is Craigslist, hardly a secret.
04-11-2011, 05:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not an online source, but screw mount cameras and K1000s seem to turn up a thrift stores a lot as well, and for little money.
04-11-2011, 06:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both Adorama and KEH have pretty good listings for film gear. Before it got all fancy and modern, Adorama was a wonderful place to go and just browse all the wonderful old cameras in the floor to chest level cases and then again up above the sales techs heads. All kinds of old Rollei's and Yashikas, and Mamiya's and great big old Nikons. Now it's all modern and you take a number, and the only thing in the cases is stuff that sells well. There is an occasional oldie on display (like a pentax A 600) but not the cases and cases of old cams like in yesteryear :sigh:
Still, check out the used section at Adorama, it's got lots of good film stuff. And KEH.

NaCl(and if I sound like an old geezer it's because I am an old geezer)H2O

04-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

shopgoodwill.com
04-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try the Leica shop in Veinna.
www.leicashop.com

Also Kevin Cameras has some but he is REALLY expensive.
KevinCameras

Phil
04-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Also Kevin Cameras has some but he is REALLY expensive.
KevinCameras
I've dealt with Kevin Li a number of times. He's an excellent seller and gives great service. One has to take into consideration that he is willing to haggle unless something is rare and sought after. Also with Kevin, you know exactly what you are getting and there's no waiting. I looked for a 85f1.8 S-M-C Takumar on e-Bay for almost two years but I was always outbid or beaten to the punch. Finally, I gave in and bought a mint example from Kevin and had the lens in my hands in two days. (And I didn't pay the listed price.)

Some other good sellers:

Sandy Ritz:
Collectible Cameras

Manfred Schmidt:
Manfred Schmidt Collectible Cameras and Accessories

04-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nando Quote
I've dealt with Kevin Li a number of times. He's an excellent seller and gives great service. One has to take into consideration that he is willing to haggle unless something is rare and sought after. Also with Kevin, you know exactly what you are getting and there's no waiting. I looked for a 85f1.8 S-M-C Takumar on e-Bay for almost two years but I was always outbid or beaten to the punch. Finally, I gave in and bought a mint example from Kevin and had the lens in my hands in two days. (And I didn't pay the listed price.)

Some other good sellers:

Sandy Ritz:
Collectible Cameras

Manfred Schmidt:
Manfred Schmidt Collectible Cameras and Accessories
Agreed no issues with buying from Kevin Cameras. I bought an A15/3.5, K28/3.5 Shift, K35/2 and a K120/2.8 from him. All arrived quickly via EMS and I was able to also get a bit of a discount. All lenses were exactly as described.

Recently I have had better luck with the Leica Shop and a couple other eBay Germany online stores. Same quality, smaller but similar lens selection & quick shipping, but at a more reasonable price.

Phil.
04-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #9
Forum Member

Aside from picking through shops (half the fun) I have had good luck at keh.com and adorama.com (even if they are all hi tech now) - but also B H Photo has some great deals and good selection for used stuff. I will be checking out Kevin right now.
05-02-2011, 05:15 AM   #10
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by thejake Quote
......I have had good luck at ...adorama.com .......
Delighted to hear it!

BTW I'm only ever an email away if you ever need advice or after-sales support with any order from Adorama: Helen@adorama.com
05-02-2011, 07:53 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have also had good luck with Adorama. The prices are somewhat lower than KEH and the service is quite a bit snappier. My most recent purchase from Adorama was a Nikkor-W 210/5.6 for 4x5 for $249. The price for one in similar condition at KEH would have been $339.

Steve
05-02-2011, 08:00 AM   #12
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have also had good luck with Adorama. The prices are somewhat lower than KEH and the service is quite a bit snappier. My most recent purchase from Adorama was a Nikkor-W 210/5.6 for 4x5 for $249. The price for one in similar condition at KEH would have been $339.

Steve
05-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried Pentaxforums.com ? Ita s great site to buy gear as well
05-06-2011, 10:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I got lucky once with a dealer on etsy.com but that was just once.
05-08-2011, 04:38 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Have you tried Pentaxforums.com ? Ita s great site to buy gear as well
I have heard that a bunch of peckerwoods hang out there. Hysterical j/k

In addition to some of the sites already mentioned, Blue Moon Camera and Machine, Knight Camera are some other places. In addition, these people sell various brands including Pentax plus they service them prior to the sale.

Camera Repair dot Com - more information about our professional camera repair services

Of the ones previously listed above, I have dealt with KEH, Collectable Cameras, Adorama and BH as well as the ones I just listed. I also hit the local goodwill etc.