Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Wow! I am not sure why, but I am really anticipating the arrival of this little camera. KEH, in their usual style waited a couple of days to ship, so it will about a week from now before I take delivery...found myself looking for Bay-1 accessories today...

Steve

04-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Welll, I've only shot the one roll of Efke so far

Let's see, out of 12 possible shots I think I had at least two unintended double exposures and one skipped frame. I don't think I was paying proper attention to what I was doing. The crank does not, unfortunately, arm the shutter.
I forgot to ask how you scanned these. Did you a DIY insert for a 120 negative holder or something else?

Steve
04-17-2011, 09:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I used the 120 holder; thought about putting tape or a second bit of film or something for the free border, but the film did OK without it.
04-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I used the 120 holder; thought about putting tape or a second bit of film or something for the free border, but the film did OK without it.
Oh, I get it...one edge in the track and the other hanging in space!

I found an aftermarket adapter for $75 USD. I think I will pass on that one for now.

Steve

04-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, I got the camera today and was able to do a couple of product shots this evening...

From the right

From the left

It is difficult to provide a sense of scale in photos to show just how small the Y-44 is compared to a standard 120 TLR. You will just have to take my word for it that it is tiny and cute as a bug. Click through for notes and more details about the camera. Both shots with my K10D and FA 35/2.

BTW...It came with a gray leather case, also in incredibly good condition and the original hinged metal Bay-1 lens cap. Very cool!

Steve
04-22-2011, 11:34 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Congrats on you new camera, it is beautiful!!

David
04-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote
Congrats on you new camera, it is beautiful!!

David
Thank you David. It is pretty handsome. Now all I need is to get some film!

Steve

04-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Great shots of a beautiful camera Steve.
It looks like it's in superb condition.
Your not helping my urge to get a TLR.
04-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
One question at this point...does anybody have any suggestions any knowledge as to the fine points of film loading? The manual on the Butkus site says that the film feeds UNDER the last roller. Someone has crossed out "under" and hand-written OVER. The illustration in the manual is a photo that has obviously been doctored to show the film under the roller. Jussi? Anybody else?

Steve

(...strap lug suggestions might also be appreciated...)
04-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Ok, let me open up mine... I ran the film OVER every roller, and I count 3 of them. The illustrations for both 44 and 44 LM have it going OVER the one in the film chamber, and the LM manual says OVER. I think OVER is the smart bet.

does this mean you have film?
04-23-2011, 03:58 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok, let me open up mine... I ran the film OVER every roller, and I count 3 of them. The illustrations for both 44 and 44 LM have it going OVER the one in the film chamber, and the LM manual says OVER. I think OVER is the smart bet.

does this mean you have film?
Well then, OVER it will be! At least I think so. The confusing manual I was referring to is found HERE. The 44A and 44LM have a different film transport with one less roller (two total). The 44 (at least my copy) has a third, larger diameter roller just above the take-up spool in the lower film chamber. The instructions state that the third roller is to avoid film feed issues. I should probably try it both ways.

As for the film, I will be dropping by Blue Moon on Monday. They have Efke, Murano, and CrossBird (Oh! My!). (Efke IR and Rollei Nightbird (ISO 800) too.) I am tempted to get a roll of each.

Steve
04-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I always console (or should that be "justify?") myself for my indiscretions with the thought that money is only a physical manifestation of energy. You put energy into the making of that $100, Steve, so you really deserve to use it to give yourself joy. That joy is itself a form of energy and will therefore eventually manifest as more money.
For your next indiscretion.
04-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
I always console (or should that be "justify?") myself for my indiscretions with the thought that money is only a physical manifestation of energy. You put energy into the making of that $100, Steve, so you really deserve to use it to give yourself joy. That joy is itself a form of energy and will therefore eventually manifest as more money.
For your next indiscretion.
I believe as wombat.

And add the perspective that I am merely keeping the camera temporarily until the next guy has it - for it will be here after I am gone.
04-27-2011, 06:28 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just to show just how small the camera is...a self-portrait with camera:

Steve
04-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #30
Site Supporter

I have been curious about these 127 TLR bodies for a few years now. I wonder what it would look like next to my C30 Mamiya. I have to admit I like the 127 format but good bodies are hard to come by because it used by so many cheap tourist cameras. This is one of the exceptions.