Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-12-2011, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is Nesster's (Jussi's) Fault...

Not a Pentax and definitely not 35mm and definitely the most impractical camera purchase I have EVER made...

No, not this one (belongs to Jussi), but another very much like it on its way from KEH. I had promised myself, "No More Cameras" (Well, maybe a Weltur...another story...) and was holding to it. But something triggered the memory of Jussi's Yashica 44 and also a very cute baby blue model that I handled some time back at Knight Camera here in town (blame, therefore, must be shared by Mike Knight).
I should be punished!
Falling for a "cute" camera! And expensive to shoot with too! 127 film is almost $10 a roll at Blue Moon (Efke 100 B&W, Murano 160 C-41, or Rollei Crossfire 200 (E-6!!)) for 12 exposures. Damn, I'm dumb. Will somebody please slap me?

I think I will check into rehab...

Steve

04-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have come to my senses a little bit and put things in perspective:
  • The price was under $100 in Exc condition
  • People pay $50-$100 for a plastic Holga or Blackbird TLR
  • I have heard of a 35mm conversion for 127 cameras (LINK to how it is done)
There now, it all sounds quite rational now, eh? A perfectly justifiable purchase!

Steve

()

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-12-2011 at 09:38 PM.
04-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I love mine... I loved it so much I bought two Hassel's 500's.... loved those so much I bought a 4x5... have not even set that up and I am considering an 8x10...

Film is an addiction.... see there is LBA... addicting, but not dangerous... than there is film... always bigger, badder. better! If you are going to shoot film and process it, why not sheets and why not BIG sheets...

But it does look like a great little unit... and <$100 that good...
04-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey Steve, you want to compare the damages of your week-end purchases to mine's
Oh yes and it was Steve's fault this time...

Hope that the conversion does not cost what converting a Medalist to 120 does

Cheers,

Luc

04-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
why not sheets and why not BIG sheets...
I do that too...I am sick, I tell you...sick!

Steve
04-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I should have also included this other picture of Jussi's camera showing why it is so cute...

As you can see, it is a fraction the size of a standard 120 TLR and very "toy-like".

Steve
04-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Oh yes and it was Steve's fault this time...
Can I help it if I suggested that your Berlebach would like very handsome mated to a matching view camera?

Steve

04-13-2011, 12:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

We all inspire each other I reckon.
If it wasn't for the community here online I think it would be highly unlikely that I would have gotten into film, have multiple 35mm bodies and lenses and a Pentax 67.

Steve... I have been quietly desiring a nice TLR for a while now, and this does not help the situation!! The only thing that's kept me in check personally is an imminent holiday that I have had to budget for and other distractions...

Anyway, just find someone else that is worse than yourself and I'm sure the regret will fade away quickly. And even quicker when you use the new camera! Have fun!

And Luc, I have noticed what you have been up to also I'm sure Steve's right on with the tripod combination.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I blame all of you equally for my recent large purchase of film and dev gear! The shipping almost killed me but I couldn't resist!
04-13-2011, 03:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

So wait, you got one in BLUE??? Congratulations, may I be the godfather since I'm partly to blame

That will be so cute! Maybe when they grow up the two of ours will marry and have kids... and we'll be in-laws

You know B&H sells Efke R100 for only $8.49 ... I have 2 rolls ready to go for when spring finally arrives in NY, figure this should be a good street camera - you know, the cuteness factor is important in street shooting for fashion.

Meanwhile, my Autocord returned from the repair/cla, and is BUTTER! Stormy here so I can't take it out yet (plus it's half naked: I'm waiting... for cameraleather.com to send the new covering) ... Oh, and as I seem to be on a Minolta kick I got a 35-70 3.5 lens, it's the same that Leitz sold as a Leica. But the damn SRT needs a CLA (and LBJ took the IRT to see the youth of America on LSD...)

Anyhow, Congratulations, and it's not hopeless collecting if you actually use them. At least once. Or so I tell myself
04-13-2011, 06:15 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
So wait, you got one in BLUE???
Blue would have been nice, but this one is gray like all the others. The blue one was at a local shop when I saw it. Pretty camera.

I suspect that the Yashica 44 will work well for the occasional street shot since it looks a little like a diecast toy and nobody will take me seriously. I am just afraid that at over $1.00 a shot with processing, I will be too cheap to really do any shooting!

Steve

(...am a little concerned about condition...hope the picture for the KEH listing was not the camera they are sending...picture was missing all the leatherette from the front...)
04-13-2011, 06:19 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
ou know B&H sells Efke R100 for only $8.49 ...
I will remember that the next time I place an order. I can get it from macodirect.de for about $7.50 USD, but they have a $60 USD minimum order. 2 x 5 pack should fit the bill.

$75 USD for 120 exposures on Croatian film!

Steve
04-13-2011, 06:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I looked at that conversion, it seems slick and entirely doable (and reversible). I'd also considered re-rolling 35mm film into a used 127 backing paper, it should be easy-ish, as you can start the process in daylight by taping a blunt end of film onto the paper where the real 127 started. About the hardest thing likely is keeping the film straight within the paper.

Compared to the Holga bunch, or even to taking a chance a couple of old cameras that turn out to be broken/unusable, this is a brilliant buy, I think.

And, I bought mine because I'd bought the damn roll of film (only $5.50 AFAIR at the time) for a Kodak Starflex that turned out to have a bum shutter. So I actually needed a 127 camera...
04-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I suspect that the Yashica 44 will work well for the occasional street shot since it looks a little like a diecast toy and nobody will take me seriously.
Just put in on key chain or a lapel pin
04-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
And, I bought mine because I'd bought the damn roll of film
And what do you shoot and where do you buy it. (Assuming, of course that you do take the 44 out for exercise )

Steve
04-13-2011, 07:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Welll, I've only shot the one roll of Efke so far

Let's see, out of 12 possible shots I think I had at least two unintended double exposures and one skipped frame. I don't think I was paying proper attention to what I was doing. The crank does not, unfortunately, arm the shutter.