Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Before it was damaged, my girlfiend had a Canan scanner with slide/ negative scanner and I used it to get some over my oldere colour negs converter into digital form. They came out ok.

I also have a slide copier I was given for christmas. I have done copies slides and slide mounted B&W negs. Unless you have some form of program to colour correct the blue cast created by the orange colour negative base trying to copy this will not work the same as B&W or slides. I well post picture of the slide copier in the next day or so. The only problem I have is the crop factor comes into effect on the D-slr camera.

05-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I used a Pentax Auto Bellows K with a Pentax Slide Copier and K-7 to digitize thousands of slides and negatives. I used an F 35-70mm lens which allowed for copying the full film frame with full extension of the slide copier bellows. It worked very well, although color negatives are are tricky to invert. For black and white negs and slide film, it worked very well.

Not exactly what you asked, but it's a viable alternative to using a scanner and the output was great.
05-02-2011, 06:10 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I used this before I own an Epson V500 for my 645 films...

You can also consider a slide duplicator for 125 €...

Like the Dörr Slide Duplicator. It is fast, realable and you will have a very good IQ...

You use a P-TTL flash deported on a stand and triggered by the internal flash. The exposure is always perfect.

The main advantage is that the light (flash) comes right on the slide and is not reflected by a mirror, so only the big dust is visible.
05-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #19
Pentaxian

It is somewhat a widespread, stubborn myth that one cannot digitize negative film using a digital camera.

After all, the notorious orange mask is only a single, monochrome colour "cast" that can normally be levelled out quite easily in a digital image processing program. It is usually only when you have more difficult negatives such as artificial light scenes on daylight film that one may run into major problems.

May I - quite immodestly - point to the following two small essays on the subject:

Negative Analogue Film Conversion

Dias Duplication with a Digital Camera

As also stated in these texts: You may certainly not get perfect results each and every time - but you can "scan" lots of negatives and slides in a quick work-flow this way.

And yes, a quality scanner will produce better and more reliable results, but it also comes at the cost of a much more time cosuming process. (And perhap's one's precious, old negatives just aren't that good that they deserve a better resolution than, say, 6-12 mega pixels?)

B.R. / Steen G. B.

05-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
And yes, a quality scanner will produce better and more reliable results, but it also comes at the cost of a much more time cosuming process.
Depending on the scanner and how you use it. My Nikon has a strip loader that does up to 6 frames at a time for negatives. My Epson V700 can do a full roll of negatives/slides in a single, unattended pass. Mind you, those two approaches are most suitable for proofing. The Epson is particularly handy for that task. I generally do my proofing when sitting at the computer doing e-mail and forum posts.

Steve
05-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #21

Here is a picture of my slide copier. I have a number detail pictures of it on my album page under the title "Steve's slide copier"

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/stevbike-albums-steve-s-slide-cop...cture23885.jpg
05-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
From film to DSLR on SuperTaks

I've had some great results using both the 50mm and 100mm Super Macro Takumars on my 5D dslr to reproduce 35mm and 120 negs. Black and white is straightforward, but colour ends up being a judgement call. Setup is as follows:

- Recycled Durst 609 enlarger, lens assembly removed, body inverted
- Solid tripod with dslr pointing straight down at the neg
- bubble levels added to enlarger body for better alignment

The original shot was done by my father with a 55mm f1.8 Super-Takumar on an early Spotmatic, circa 1976, on Tri-X. Negative was photographed with 50mm Super-Macro-Takumar at f8 on a Canon 5D.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 5D  Photo 
05-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, your father is some photographer! Very nice!