Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2006, 04:55 AM   #1

need a review of Z-20p (PZ-20p), Z-50p (PZ-50p) etc..

...or just an opinion!

thank you in advanse!

11-16-2006, 01:50 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbyfuego Quote
...or just an opinion!

thank you in advanse!
Well, the Z-20P was the first camera I really used at all properlly, I find it very ergonomic with a good grip and sensible controls. I've generally got decent exposures from it with negative film, never tried with slides... I occassionaly printed my own 8x10s, but generally just got bog-standard local lab prints. For most of the time I used it, the differences between different metering patterns never particularly occurred to me, and I tended to expose fairly intuitively depending on the amount of sky etc... I don't honestly know what sort of metering it uses, but it seems moderately center-weighted with no option to change that. Anyway, it didn't cause me any trouble with my fairly non-critical use.

I generally used it in an aperture-priority type way, with it on manual mode and metering with the +/- button. Similar to what I do now with non-A lenses on the GX-1S, but the old film camera doesn't have to stop down to meter as it doesn't have a crippled mount. I slightly prefer the view in it's viewfinder to my current DSLR, as the meter offset is shown graphically rather than as a number.

Never had any problems with AF or anything else in the last 8 years or so (apart from batteries running out, like one time after taking a single shot at the beginning of a hiking / camping holiday... always carry a spare) and in general, I didn't find it ever got in the way of taking the pictures I wanted. I only had a Japanese manual, but that didn't matter much, as it's role was generally a fairly simple one and the controls were intuitive.

Hope that's some use to you...
11-17-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought the PZ50 on ebay several years ago, relegating my Oly OM2s and lenses to occasional use only. I've been happy with it, it does what it does reliably and without fuss (well, apart from spotty auto focus in lower light).

I do get bothered every now and again when I forget what doohicky to move to get what action, but overall it's a simple interface and gives enough control - even with the 16-45 DA lens I bought in anticipation of a dslr body. It's just not compatible with non 'A' lenses -ie. the aperture ring if there is one has to have the 'A' setting for things to work.

It is light weight and comfortable to hold. Batteries last a long time. The viewfinder's bright. And I have timed shutter speeds down to 30 seconds!

(It won't meter with my body-cap pinhole however, but works wonderfully with a lensbaby)

Hope this helps
01-10-2007, 07:37 AM   #4

Original Poster
Well, thanx for sharing your opinions. Actually I was considering a Z20p purchase but, took the PZ-1p several months ago I'm veryy happy with it. It's really really great camera, and i love the hyper program option! It's a verry useful thing.

01-12-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pz20

I loved the grip on this camera but didn't like the digital viewfinder, I thought it was too dark.