Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2011, 07:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Asahi Pentax Manual Winder on MX

Is it me, or does the manual winder that comes with the MX (not the add-on motor driven winder) seem a little bit lightweight. It feels nothing like the winder on my K2 and KM--especially when it is loaded with film.

I am wondering if my MX winder needs lubricated cause it sure feels lightweight and rough with film loaded in it.

05-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, the winding action on the MX is very different from that of the K-series.

Early MX's sometimes have a slightly uneven or ragged action, which was compensated in later models into a winding very similar to that of the K-series, except that K bodies are heavier and therefore may seem more generally sturdy than the MX if you are used to heft.

I had read about this, but I only understood it fully when I obtained a KM, and compared it to my two MX's.

I believe the fix requires some sort of spring adjustment rather than lubrication, but I invite correction if I am wrong.