Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2022, 04:43 PM   #511
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Lots of the electronic Minoltas suffer from capacitor failures but I understand they can be quite easily replaced.

Many EOS film cameras eat through batteries even when turned off and I'm lead to believe that's also a capacitor problem, though there's much less information on it online than there is about the Minolta problems. It's a shame as I've bought a few and would love to know which capacitors to replace in order to fix them.

I currently have my eye on an EOS 300X with grip that's not far from where I live but I'm isolating as I have covid so can't get there to check it out.
The X-700 seems to be the most mentioned that I have been aware of and one I own. I saw a few posts on the fix and it looks very straight forward. Curious what other models suffers this failure?

As for eating up batteries faster then it should, the Olympus OM2 and OM4 were most commonly mentioned. As I understand it, this was found out early in the releases cycle and Olympus offered to take them back and replace the a board but it seems they didn't catch all of those as there continues to be reports of this failure.

I would think that battery issues on newer cameras - like the EOS system, can be addressed by newer rechargeable lithiums. But of course that comes with it's own issues due to their explosive power density.

Regarding your current health, wish you quick recovery. I have family members who also contracted it and fortunately they too were on the positive side of the statistics and turned out to only be a minor inconvenience.

01-15-2022, 05:27 AM   #512
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Lots of the electronic Minoltas suffer from capacitor failures but I understand they can be quite easily replaced.

Many EOS film cameras eat through batteries even when turned off and I'm lead to believe that's also a capacitor problem, though there's much less information on it online than there is about the Minolta problems. It's a shame as I've bought a few and would love to know which capacitors to replace in order to fix them.

I currently have my eye on an EOS 300X with grip that's not far from where I live but I'm isolating as I have covid so can't get there to check it out.
In the early 90s, when I worked as the "no, your warranty does not cover dropping your AE1 in a vat of spaghetti sauce" guy at a camera repair shop, we did a lot of "rapid battery drain".
Some cameras could just fix a capacitor, but a lot of them needed a whole new circuit board.

Most of the cameras I remember were Canons (if I remember right, they tended to crack across the main board), but all brands did it to some level.
I expect most of those have been thrown away long since, so the ones we're seeing now are failing for different reasons.

And whether it was their shorter time in the field (at the time), improved reliability, or some other reason, the autofocus cameras had far fewer problems like that.
I suspect it was a combination of shorter time in the field and the manufacturers really getting the hang of making electronic cameras...

-Eric
01-15-2022, 12:36 PM - 2 Likes   #513
Pentaxian

My Minolta XK along with some viewfinders . . .

Was really lucky to find a local CL listing stating free box of camera stuff. Spotted what may have looked like a box for one of these finders so I jumped on it only to find three NIB viewfinders - AE-S, Waist Level & High Magnification finders to go along with my well used battleship AE finder. The owner said he just saw these in his closet and had no idea what they were for.

I like the XK simply because it was Minolta's only manual camera with 1/2000 shutter speed as well as their only one with interchangeable viewfinders. You can read more about this - and others, at Rokkorfiles Minolta XK
01-16-2022, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #514

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
My Minolta XK along with some viewfinders . . .

Was really lucky to find a local CL listing stating free box of camera stuff. Spotted what may have looked like a box for one of these finders so I jumped on it only to find three NIB viewfinders - AE-S, Waist Level & High Magnification finders to go along with my well used battleship AE finder. The owner said he just saw these in his closet and had no idea what they were for.

I like the XK simply because it was Minolta's only manual camera with 1/2000 shutter speed as well as their only one with interchangeable viewfinders. You can read more about this - and others, at Rokkorfiles Minolta XK
That’s a great deal! I would love to add an XK to my collection, but I won’t pay current market price. They are rare and expensive. The last body I saw was well worn and selling for £350. Of all the 70’s pro cameras I think they are the ugliest. Fingers crossed for a deal like yours!

01-16-2022, 02:12 PM - 2 Likes   #515
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by andrewd Quote
That’s a great deal! I would love to add an XK to my collection, but I won’t pay current market price. They are rare and expensive. The last body I saw was well worn and selling for £350. Of all the 70’s pro cameras I think they are the ugliest. Fingers crossed for a deal like yours!
Yeah, the XK doesn't get much more svelte then with the AE-S finder . . . and even then it is still not a looker . . .

You'll just have to be more creative with lighting to hide it's flaws . . .

04-15-2023, 08:40 AM - 3 Likes   #516
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I figured it was time to update my list from a few pages earlier in this thread. Again, I'm probably missing a few in the list.

K1000
K1000 SE (brown)
KM
KX (black)
K2 DMD (x3)
MX (x2: one black, one silver)
ME Super (black)
LX
Super Program
MZ-3 (silver)
MZ-3 Special Edition
MZ-S (x2)
*ist

Used to own SV, S3, K2, PZ-1p, ZX-30, ZX-50, ZX-60

Yashica FR (black)

Minolta XD-11

Canon Elan ii
Canon Rebel
Canon Rebel G

Nikon F3
Nikon N6006
Nikon N65
Nikon F4

Used to own F2 (x2, one silver and one black)

Leica IIIf

Kiev 6C

Hasselblad 500C/M (x2)
Hasselblad 500EL/M
Hasselblad 501C

Mamiya M645
Mamiya RB67

Linhof Technika 4x5
Calumet 4x5
Sinar 4x5
A 5x7 camera

Polaroid 101 Land Camera

Several Kodak cameras from different generations

And now I'm looking for a good deal on an Olympus OM-2 in good condition.
04-17-2023, 06:28 PM   #517

QuoteOriginally posted by Farside Quote
In 35mm, my drawers contain an OM-1n, Pentax SF-7, P50, Praktica LTL, Cosina Hi-Lite, Zorki-4, Ricoh SInglex (Nikon Fit), and a Zeiss Werra.
Two basic fully manual K-mount Cosina and Chinon bodies will be joining them soon, as I like to have something totally manual to back up my P-K D kit if needed, and just for the odd day spent shooting film only.
This way, I'm never stuck for something to shoot with, and when I want to go over to the Nikon Dark Side, I can use the Singlex and the various Tamron Adaptall-2s with it.
Recent additions include a Chinon CE-4 with m/d, Vivitar 2000, an OM-40, and a Winder II for the P50.
Decided I've really got enough 35mm film cameras for now, but a Nikon FM is really pulling at me.
As ever, enough is never enough.
Recent aquisitions include a Nikkormat FTn, a Nikon FE, a Ricoh XR2s (last two with winders) and some assorted PK-fit lenses, as well as more SP Tamrons.
It never ends.
The Nikkormat was a trip down Memory Lane, but I'd have preferred the FT2 as that was my first decent camera back then. I'm impressed with the fit and finish of the FE, though.
Both of the Nikons were really bought to use some legacy AI and pre-AI lenses, and I've even picked up a couple of digi-Nikon bodies that are OK with them (a D600 and a D3200).
I really want a K-1 though. Only reason I bought a FF Canon and then a FF Nikon was because I was getting frustrated with high prices for used K-1s.

04-18-2023, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #518
Pentaxian

Updated list of what I currently have:

35mm cameras:
Sears TLS (M42)
Pentax MZ-S
Kalimar K-90 TTL 1000 (Kmount)

Folding cameras:
Kodak Monitor Six-20 (Kodak Anastigmat Special 101mm f4.5 lens/Kodak No.1 Supermatic shutter)
Kodak Special Six-20 (Kodak Anastigmat Special 100mm f4.5 lens/Compur Rapid shutter)
Kodak Special Six-16 (Kodak Anastigmat Special 127mm f4.5 lens/Compur Rapid shutter)
Kodak 3A Series III (Kodak Anastigmat 170mm f6.3 lens/Kodak No. 2 Kodamatic shutter)

Both of the Kodak Special's cameras I sent out a few months ago to get cla'ed & new bellows installed, already got a stash of 120 film & rerolled some 120 film onto 620 spools to use for when I get them back.
The Kodak Monitor 620 & 3A Series III both need a cla & new bellows, will get those done eventually.
05-22-2023, 08:24 AM   #519
Pentaxian

I just added a third Z1 as my favourite Pentax AF film camera.
05-22-2023, 11:12 AM   #520
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I figured it was time to update my list from a few pages earlier in this thread. Again, I'm probably missing a few in the list.

K1000
K1000 SE (brown)
KM
KX (black)
K2 DMD (x3)
MX (x2: one black, one silver)
ME Super (black)
LX
Super Program
MZ-3 (silver)
MZ-3 Special Edition
MZ-S (x2)
*ist

Used to own SV, S3, K2, PZ-1p, ZX-30, ZX-50, ZX-60

Yashica FR (black)

Minolta XD-11

Canon Elan ii
Canon Rebel
Canon Rebel G

Nikon F3
Nikon N6006
Nikon N65
Nikon F4

Used to own F2 (x2, one silver and one black)

Leica IIIf

Kiev 6C

Hasselblad 500C/M (x2)
Hasselblad 500EL/M
Hasselblad 501C

Mamiya M645
Mamiya RB67

Linhof Technika 4x5
Calumet 4x5
Sinar 4x5
A 5x7 camera

Polaroid 101 Land Camera

Several Kodak cameras from different generations

And now I'm looking for a good deal on an Olympus OM-2 in good condition.
And I thought my closet was too full of cameras

My latest are a Kodak Stereo and a Kodak 127
05-22-2023, 12:02 PM   #521
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote

I just got a Kodak Stereo, and I'm surprised at how good a camera it really is, never mind the stereo part...
It does quite a bit better than most of the zone focusing US-made Kodaks I've used, independent of format (though the Retinettes are still better).

-Eric
05-22-2023, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #522
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote

I enjoy using them, but a few make it into the rotation much more often than others. I just traded my mint Leica IIIf for an M2. I also traded my Canon 7S for a P.
05-22-2023, 03:46 PM   #523
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All I have left are my old faithful and cherished camera bodies. My first SLR, my K1000 and my last film body my Super Program. I am certain neither of them are functional but they hold too much sentimental value to ever part with them. The K1000 I got when I was 13, almost 40 years ago.
05-23-2023, 01:35 PM   #524
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I enjoy using them, but a few make it into the rotation much more often than others. I just traded my mint Leica IIIf for an M2. I also traded my Canon 7S for a P.
My rotation is normally beteeen a 4X5, a Hasselblad 500C\M, a Roleichord Vb and a Nettar 6X6. For 135it is my MX or one of my wife's lomography camerasor my Kellogs snap crackle and pop shown on my avatar. Theviewfinder in that is the clearest of all my cameras as it is just a hole in the body.
05-23-2023, 02:33 PM   #525
Pentaxian

Once upon a time I had over 500 different models of Kodak cameras Wayback Machine (archive.org) plus some Fujica SLRs, some Rapid system cameras and the inevitable miscellaneous odds and ends that one accumulates when things get out of hand … but I've downsized since … there's probably around 50 in the bedroom cupboard these days, still mostly Kodak (Retinas, Retinettes and Bantams), some Zorkis, a couple of Pentax, a small Exa system and a Miranda Fv, … do you really want a list?