Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #16

Original Poster
Thanks anyways, Steve.

It appears to be an oddity as I cannot find any similar problem posted on the web. Probably not worth the repair bill, but I really like this little camera, so was hoping to get it to work with M42 lenses.

I downloaded an ME Super service manual but I'm not inclined to take it apart as long as it's working fine with k-mount lenses. Despite the delayed firing of shutter, I could still use it with my M42 lenses as long as I can remember to hold my camera still for that extra 1 second after I press release button. However, I wont use M42 adapter on it in fear of something else breaking lose. For good measures, I got another film camera that can use M42 lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, you got me. I have seen a lot of messages regarding camera issues over the last several years, but never a problem like yours. As you have noted, the M42 adapter is pretty simple. The only way it engages the body is to move the aperture follower to full travel and that lever is not related to the self-timer.

The self-timer on the ME Super is mechanical, so that rules out electronic issues which leaves the single possibility that there is an issue with the mechanical interlocks in and around the mirror box (goo?) that only becomes a problem when a K-mount lens is not mounted. Since your shutter fires normally with no lens mounted, that is ruled out.

Eric or another repair tech may be able to manage a diagnosis and a fix, though the price (at least $75) may exceed the value of the camera. In the short run, you can get another body or resign yourself to not shooting M42 with the camera. In any case, I can't see how I can be any more help here. Sorry I was not able to point you to an easy or quick diagnosis.

Good luck.

Steve

05-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jackseh Quote
I got another film camera that can use M42 lenses.
Yes! The ultimate answer! More cameras!!!

Steve
05-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Hello all,

I bought an M42 adapter to use with my ME Super. The adapter mounts without any problems and metering is spot on.

However, when I press the shutter release button, it seems like there is a 1 second lag before I hear the shutter fires. When I mount a regular K-mount lens on it, the shutter fires immediately after I press the shutter release button.

Is this common or have I missed something?
I have the ME Super, and will power it up as soon as I can get batteries and try my adapter and an m42 lens...

I was going to post a question whether this was at all possible when I came across this thread, and by the looks of the replies, the m42 lens should work on the ME Super. It's a sweet little camera, will post back with results in a day or so...
05-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
I have the ME Super, and will power it up as soon as I can get batteries and try my adapter and an m42 lens...

I was going to post a question whether this was at all possible when I came across this thread, and by the looks of the replies, the m42 lens should work on the ME Super. It's a sweet little camera, will post back with results in a day or so...
Indeed, backward compatibility with M42 lenses was a feature of the ME Super. Metering and exposure is done with the lens stopped down in either M or Av mode. There are instructions in the manual which is available for free (donation suggested) at:
Pentax ME Super instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

Steve

05-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Hello all,

I bought an M42 adapter to use with my ME Super. The adapter mounts without any problems and metering is spot on.

However, when I press the shutter release button, it seems like there is a 1 second lag before I hear the shutter fires. When I mount a regular K-mount lens on it, the shutter fires immediately after I press the shutter release button.

Is this common or have I missed something?
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Indeed, backward compatibility with M42 lenses was a feature of the ME Super. Metering and exposure is done with the lens stopped down in either M or Av mode. There are instructions in the manual which is available for free (donation suggested) at:
Pentax ME Super instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

Steve
Following up, I got the ME Super powered up and running, used an m42 adapter and Super-Tak 50/1.4, works like a charm, no delay at all, meters, etc... my adapter is a Pentax brand.

Steve, thanks for the info, I'll probably give the camera a spin this week...