Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #1

Pentax ME Super with M42 Adapter Question

Hello all,

I bought an M42 adapter to use with my ME Super. The adapter mounts without any problems and metering is spot on.

However, when I press the shutter release button, it seems like there is a 1 second lag before I hear the shutter fires. When I mount a regular K-mount lens on it, the shutter fires immediately after I press the shutter release button.

Is this common or have I missed something?

05-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #2

Original Poster
Ok, I suppose this is not normal !

Any idea how to fix it? Why does it only behave this way with the M42 adapter installed?
05-20-2011, 10:14 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
That is weird, I wonder if it has to do with the adapter stopping the lens down, but 1 second is a long time. Does it do it at every fstop and shutter combination?
05-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did Pentax manufacture your adapter ring, or was it a third-party?

05-21-2011, 01:45 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asaru Quote
Did Pentax manufacture your adapter ring, or was it a third-party?
I tried with both 3rd party and pentax authentic M42 adapter. Same thing happens.
QuoteOriginally posted by Dangerous Lee Quote
That is weird, I wonder if it has to do with the adapter stopping the lens down, but 1 second is a long time. Does it do it at every fstop and shutter combination?
Changing fstop and shutter speed did not matter. As long as the M42 adapter ring is used, the same thing happens. When the M42 ring is used, I see the flange turns, as the adapter ring is installed, as it should, which I believe set the camera into stop-down metering mode. The flange also turns when I turn aperture ring to widest setting on a k-mount lens, correct?

I've had no problems taking pictures with k-mount lenses. If the stop-down mechanism is broken, I would not be able to take pictures with K-mount lenses, but everything works just fine (including exposure and metering). It feels like the delay is timed. Should I run the self-timer once to see if it clears up anything ?

what exactly is different to the camera when an M42 adapter is mounted as opposed to using a k-mount lens?

thanks.
05-21-2011, 03:27 AM   #6
Forum Member

I've no experience with this particular problem, but from the replies it seems that the behaviour isn't normal. Sorry if the questions below are a bit silly, but answers may help a 'diagnosis' from one of the good guys guys and gals here with experience of taking these things to bits (and succesfully reassembling!)

Are you test-firing the shutter with the adapter ring only attached, or with an M42 lens?

If you're test firing with a lens - How many different M42 lenses have you tried with the MES?

If you haven't test-fired with the adaptor only, can you try it like that to see if there's any change?

Again, sorry if these are silly questions, but they're the logical steps I'd be taking with this type of thing - just trying out what's different - one thing at a time.
05-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks, it definitely isn't normal. I tried it with a similar film SLR, there was no delay after pushing shutter release button.

QuoteOriginally posted by garythesnail Quote
I've no experience with this particular problem, but from the replies it seems that the behaviour isn't normal. Sorry if the questions below are a bit silly, but answers may help a 'diagnosis' from one of the good guys guys and gals here with experience of taking these things to bits (and succesfully reassembling!)

Are you test-firing the shutter with the adapter ring only attached, or with an M42 lens?
with M42 lens attached.

QuoteQuote:
If you're test firing with a lens - How many different M42 lenses have you tried with the MES?
tried with a couple. wont matter what lens is attached. the M42 lenses all meter correctly (in stop-down metering mode).

QuoteQuote:
If you haven't test-fired with the adaptor only, can you try it like that to see if there's any change?
no change. as far as i know there is no contact between the M42 lens and the MES camera. M42 adapter is the only part that has contact with the camera, which is the point of using the adapter, correct?

QuoteQuote:
Again, sorry if these are silly questions, but they're the logical steps I'd be taking with this type of thing - just trying out what's different - one thing at a time.
thank you for helping anyways. i hope the answers are helpful to diagnose what is wrong.

05-21-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello Jack,
Are you moving the self timer lever when the adaptor goes on?
I don't have a ME Super but I have the book and a Ricoh KR-5 which is similar.
I can replicate what you describe by moving the self timer lever half way down then firing the shuuter.
There is a delay.
05-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Hello Jack,
Are you moving the self timer lever when the adaptor goes on?
I don't have a ME Super but I have the book and a Ricoh KR-5 which is similar.
I can replicate what you describe by moving the self timer lever half way down then firing the shuuter.
There is a delay.
No, the self timer lever was not activated or moved when I use M42 adapter. The timer lever itself works properly when I tested it.

It still doesn't explain why the camera fires normally when fitted with a k-mount lens. i think the flange is working properly, because the meter works flawlessly when I change aperture on k-mount lens, meaning the MES camera knows when I turn the aperture ring.

When M42 adapter is fitted, I can see the flange gets pushed all the way, so the camera assume lens is using the widest aperture. Metering is also working properly when I do this, by "stop-down" metering.

Is there anything on a k-mount lens beside the 'flange' that communicate with the MES camera ?
05-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jackseh Quote
Is there anything on a k-mount lens beside the 'flange' that communicate with the MES camera ?
Flange? There is an inset lever that communicates the aperture and that is all. The various adapters will couple with this lever, placing it at the "full-open" position as you have noted.

Regardless, what you describe is highly unusual. To have a 1 second shutter DELAY based on the type of lens mounted makes little sense in conventional terms. Out of curiosity, what happens when you slide the lever by hand to the "full-open" position (no lens on camera) and depress the shutter? How about just firing with no lens at all attached?

The reason I ask is that the shutter mechanism has interlocks to both the mirror swing and the aperture actuator lever. Normally, the actuator lever is displaced when mounting a K-mount lens. With the adapter, the lever is disengaged and is just "hanging" there. I would inspect that lever to confirm that it moves freely throughout its range Edit: Don't do this...in retrospect, I am not sure whether this is safe to do on the ME Super.. I would also confirm that the mirror bumper is intact and not sticky (test with toothpick).

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-21-2011 at 05:35 PM.
05-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks Steve,

Is the actuator lever the same as the inset lever that communicates the aperture? If not, where do I locate this actuator lever?

The inset lever to communicate aperture turns all the way without any problems, as the M42 adapter is mounted. Wouldn't it also move when I turn the aperture ring on a k-mount lense?

I'm not sure if I understand how this works. Say, if I have a F1.7 lens, when I set the k-mount lens to F1.7, this inset lever should be in the same position as if I were to install a M42 adapter? because with M42 adapter the camera assume the lens is always metering at widest aperture?

The mirror bumper is intact and non-sticky.

I thought the shutter mechanism treats any lens mounted thru M42 adapter the same as if it were to a K-mount lens using widest aperture? but apparently mine doesnt.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Flange? There is an inset lever that communicates the aperture and that is all. The various adapters will couple with this lever, placing it at the "full-open" position as you have noted.

Regardless, what you describe is highly unusual. To have a 1 second shutter DELAY based on the type of lens mounted makes little sense in conventional terms. Out of curiosity, what happens when you slide the lever by hand to the "full-open" position (no lens on camera) and depress the shutter? How about just firing with no lens at all attached?

The reason I ask is that the shutter mechanism has interlocks to both the mirror swing and the aperture actuator lever. Normally, the actuator lever is displaced when mounting a K-mount lens. With the adapter, the lever is disengaged and is just "hanging" there. I would inspect that lever to confirm that it moves freely throughout its range. I would also confirm that the mirror bumper is intact and not sticky (test with toothpick).

Steve
05-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks Steve,

Is the actuator lever the same as the inset lever that communicates the aperture? If not, where do I locate this actuator lever?
It is not really a lever, but is the piece that the lens aperture actuator engages. In retrospect, I would not suggest fiddling with it. On some cameras it is a spring loaded device. On others it is linked directly to the mirror mechanism.

The inset lever to communicate aperture turns all the way without any problems, as the M42 adapter is mounted. Wouldn't it also move when I turn the aperture ring on a k-mount lense?

I'm not sure if I understand how this works. Say, if I have a F1.7 lens, when I set the k-mount lens to F1.7, this inset lever should be in the same position as if I were to install a M42 adapter? because with M42 adapter the camera assume the lens is always metering at widest aperture?
Yes, that is how it works.

The mirror bumper is intact and non-sticky.

I thought the shutter mechanism treats any lens mounted thru M42 adapter the same as if it were to a K-mount lens using widest aperture? but apparently mine doesnt.
Perhaps I misread your original post. I understood you as saying that your camera delays releasing the shutter for several seconds after the button is pushed (sort of like a self-timer). This type is issue would have nothing to do with the aperture coupling or metering. Unless, of course, you were really saying that with an adapted M42 lens mounted, the camera always does an unrealistically long exposure regardless of the metered value.

So, the question is...What exposure setting does the meter indicate and does the camera actually expose to that setting?

And...I may have missed it, but what does your camera do when no lens or adapter is mounted?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-21-2011 at 05:40 PM.
05-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by garythesnail Quote
Should not make any difference. M42 lenses, when adapted, have no coupling to the camera.

Steve
05-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Perhaps I misread your original post. I understood you as saying that your camera delays releasing the shutter for several seconds after the button is pushed (sort of like a self-timer). This type is issue would have nothing to do with the aperture coupling or metering. Unless, of course, you were really saying that with an adapted M42 lens mounted, the camera always does an unrealistically long exposure regardless of the metered value.
The delay after I press shutter release button only happens when I have an M42 adapter and M42 lens installed. When I have a K-mount lens installed, obviously without the adapter, everything works correctly (no delay after I press shutter button).

It is consistent in this regard. I have tested countless times with different k-mount lens and M42 lens.

The meter works normally with both k-mount, and M42 lenses.

I just had a roll of film developed. The photos that were taken with M42 lenses came out fine, which means beside the delayed shutter release, the camera works fine with M42 lenses installed?

QuoteQuote:
So, the question is...What exposure setting does the meter indicate and does the camera actually expose to that setting?
The meter works fine with both. The exposures were fine, even with the delay.

I have tried both Auto, Manual, and 125X modes on the MES. It doesn't matter what shutter speed I set the camera to in manual mode. As long as an M42 lens adapter is installed, I get a delay after I press shutter release button, before I hear the mirror and shutter firing.

The camera is not taking long exposures, but rather the shutter delays firing after I press the button, only when it has M42 adapter installed. The delay does not occur when k-mount lenses are installed.

QuoteQuote:
And...I may have missed it, but what does your camera do when no lens or adapter is mounted?
the shutter works fine. no delay.

Last edited by jackseh; 05-21-2011 at 10:19 PM.
05-22-2011, 08:06 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, you got me. I have seen a lot of messages regarding camera issues over the last several years, but never a problem like yours. As you have noted, the M42 adapter is pretty simple. The only way it engages the body is to move the aperture follower to full travel and that lever is not related to the self-timer.

The self-timer on the ME Super is mechanical, so that rules out electronic issues which leaves the single possibility that there is an issue with the mechanical interlocks in and around the mirror box (goo?) that only becomes a problem when a K-mount lens is not mounted. Since your shutter fires normally with no lens mounted, that is ruled out.

Eric or another repair tech may be able to manage a diagnosis and a fix, though the price (at least $75) may exceed the value of the camera. In the short run, you can get another body or resign yourself to not shooting M42 with the camera. In any case, I can't see how I can be any more help here. Sorry I was not able to point you to an easy or quick diagnosis.

Good luck.

Steve