Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2011, 03:37 AM   #1
Inactive Account

SP F or SP II?

SP II doesn't support wide open metering but seems the meter is more sensitive, so should I try SP II also?

05-24-2011, 04:39 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
The meter circuits in both the SPII and SPF are basically the same. The SPF has an extra photo diode which activates the meter when the lens cap is removed. With the SPII, the meter will be completely "off" when the switch is off but there will be a very, very smal residual current drain on the SPF with the lens cap on. For long term storage , it is best to remove the battery in any case but even more so in the case of the SPF.

Within the limits of an inbuilt reflected light metering system, I doubt you would note much difference between the two.

Kim
05-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SPII and SPF are basically the same; however, the SPF allows for open metering but it keeps the meter running all the time. [ I think there is an on-off switch at the top]

I have used the SPII and was very happy with it with the hot shoe.
05-25-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
SPII and SPF are basically the same; however, the SPF allows for open metering but it keeps the meter running all the time. [ I think there is an on-off switch at the top]

I have used the SPII and was very happy with it with the hot shoe.
No there is no on/off switch.

The only switch is (thanks Kim for information) the lens cap. The meter will go off after the lens cap is on.

05-27-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
Site Supporter

If you have supported lenses, the open aperture metering is a nice improvement. There are 2 or 3 late super taks that work, most S-M-C and SMC Taks and there are some of the Tamron Adaptamatics that will if they have the correct adapamatic m2 mount.

The Meter will cut-off but you have to remember to put the lens cap on!.
05-28-2011, 04:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

What about an ES11?
Cheers, Pickles.
05-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #7

ESII only has manual speeds from 1/60 to 1/1000. The meter only works in Auto mode. Unless you want a camera for aperture priority shooting the SPF is a far better bet

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
What about an ES11?
Cheers, Pickles.

05-29-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I heard from expert in Pentax that most ES and ES II have their Av mode died by the way...
05-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #9

Almost all of the rare Electro Spotties have their pcb fried. Same as the early ES's (same board). The later ES's and ESII's are not too bad. My Electro is gone but the rest work well still.

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by leoyblam Quote
I heard from expert in Pentax that most ES and ES II have their Av mode died by the way...
05-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kim C Quote
Almost all of the rare Electro Spotties have their pcb fried. Same as the early ES's (same board). The later ES's and ESII's are not too bad. My Electro is gone but the rest work well still.

Kim
Actually, the Electro Spotmatic and ES do not have the same board. The Electro Spotmatics were basically prototypes sold to the public mostly in Japan each one of them had a "one-off" circuit board. That is why Eric Hendrickson can't fix them. However, he does repair the ES.
05-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kim C Quote
ESII only has manual speeds from 1/60 to 1/1000. The meter only works in Auto mode. Unless you want a camera for aperture priority shooting the SPF is a far better bet

Kim
The ES and ES II have stepless cloth shutters in the Auto mode.
06-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The SPF meter does shut off when the lens cap is put on, but also shuts off at light levels where you'd still want to take a picture. As I recall the meter needle remains centered when off, so you think you have the correct exposure, when in fact the exposure may be completely off.

Paul
06-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
The SPF meter does shut off when the lens cap is put on, but also shuts off at light levels where you'd still want to take a picture. As I recall the meter needle remains centered when off, so you think you have the correct exposure, when in fact the exposure may be completely off.

Paul
I have never really had that problem. It has been my experience that these meters (including the ones in the k1000) aren't the greatest in very low light anyway.