Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Focusing matt screen for MZ-5?

Hello,

I'm new here since I just bought an MZ-5 and dug up old P30n equipment and I'm looking forward to seek and find wisdom in this forum.

As I said I just bought an MZ-5 but yet have to get an autofocus lens. I was wondering whether I could change the matt screen to one with manual focus support like in the P30n for example so I can use my manual lenses.

Is it a big deal to change them on the MZ-5? Does every Pentax have its unique matt screen or are they interchangeable?

Thanks in advance!

05-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vandelay Quote
Hello,

I'm new here since I just bought an MZ-5 and dug up old P30n equipment and I'm looking forward to seek and find wisdom in this forum.

As I said I just bought an MZ-5 but yet have to get an autofocus lens. I was wondering whether I could change the matt screen to one with manual focus support like in the P30n for example so I can use my manual lenses.

Is it a big deal to change them on the MZ-5? Does every Pentax have its unique matt screen or are they interchangeable?

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forum!

I don't believe that your MZ-5 supports interchangeable screens. Sorry

Steve
05-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Vandelay Quote
Hello,

Thanks in advance!
With the possible exception of the MZ-S, all of the MZ / ZX cameras use the same size / thickness screen. The best option would be to get the screen from a MZ-M / ZX-M. The screens have a flip down retaining ring, similar to the digital models, but it is tricker to release. I suggest picking up a dead **-M body and removing the screen from it first, that way you can find out how it works before torturing the MZ-5.
05-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks!

If I get my hands on a MZ-M I'll try and post the outcome here.
Besides I have the beep, it's not the same but better than nothing.

Thanks again.

05-29-2011, 03:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Contact Pentax parts department and ask for the split image screen for the MZ-M/ZX-M. The screen of the MZ-5 is user removable. There is a metal clip that you can pull with a small screwdriver upward then pull toward yourself with the camera mount facing up. But you better do this only after you got the MZ-M screen.

05-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Contact Pentax parts department and ask for the split image screen for the MZ-M/ZX-M. The screen of the MZ-5 is user removable. There is a metal clip that you can pull with a small screwdriver upward then pull toward yourself with the camera mount facing up. But you better do this only after you got the MZ-M screen.

Looks like you've done it with your MZ-5. Is there any disparity in metering after focus screen is changed? Would this also work for an MZ-S ?

Thanks.
05-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am not sure if the MZ-S screens have the same dimension. With split image screen, the spot meter will be unpredictable but centre weight will be fine.

05-30-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the forum!

I don't believe that your MZ-5 supports interchangeable screens. Sorry

Steve
Well! I looks like this is an undocumented feature! Thanks to everyone else for providing the constructive solution!

Steve
01-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To wlachan: thank you, thank you, thank you for the pics and brief explanation for removing the focus screen.

I have a ZX-M that had a fair bit of annoying dust in the view finder, then I was blowing the camera out and even more annoying dust found its way in the VF. I started googling stuff and found a good video for removing the screen, but I wasn't getting a good view of what to do from the video. I came back to the Forum as I knew there would be something to help out. These pics got me going but I had to make a curved tool (similar to one in the video) to help remove the screen. I tried using a straight tool, but the curved one does the trick. I found a small blade screw driver in my garage and bent a curve to it. If you do the same, be careful of the chrome bits that shed from bending it.
Attached Images