Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Z-1/PZ-1 mirror locked up ...

After searching around, found this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/40105-pz-1-mirror-locked-up.html

But I can't reply under the above thread 'cause it's over a year old. Have to start a new thread and see if there is anyone who has found a cure for this.

My Z1 camera has exactly the same problem as the one in above thread. Mirror stuck at UP position after the first shot, now the shutter is stuck because of this. Played it for a while, seems the flash and AF are still working fine. But I can't get the mirror down

I know that many MZ series cameras have this stuck mirror problem, but didn't know Z1 would have the same problem. Anyone here got any idea how to get the mirror down w/o going to a repair shop?

Thanks and Cheers!

05-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have read somewhere that it does this because of low battery charge (?), I'm not really sure. Try to Google and not only on this forums. I think that is where I read something about it on the net.
I guess, I think you have to remove the battery and install a fresh one (?)..just trying to recall what I have read.
05-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I have read somewhere that it does this because of low battery charge (?), I'm not really sure. Try to Google and not only on this forums. I think that is where I read something about it on the net.
I guess, I think you have to remove the battery and install a fresh one (?)..just trying to recall what I have read.
Thanks for the suggestion. Hope it's the case. I'd get a new battery and give it a try

Cheers!
05-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Olympus OM-10's were prone to this as well due to failing batteries. In my case, new batteries fixed it. I checked the batteries afterwards (2x Eveready A76's if my memory serves me correct). Unusually, at the time of manufacture, the polarity of one battery was reversed. I guess the other had enough juice for limited operation tho the bulb exposure on Comet Halley finished it off. Not sure if this is relevant to your problem. Hope you get it solved.

Last edited by pixelsaurus; 05-30-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: clarification of statement
05-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestion. I bought a new battery yesterday for the camera, but still the same The mirror stuck at the up position, and I can't even pull it down now. But with the old battery, I can still pull the mirror down (it'd bounce back right after I let it go).

I guess I'll have to pay our Pentax Service Center a visit...
05-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Try this: make sure the battery is good and the camera is turned on. While gently lifting the mirror up, push the shutter release button.

I "fixed" a Super A that way.
05-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Try this: make sure the battery is good and the camera is turned on. While gently lifting the mirror up, push the shutter release button.

I "fixed" a Super A that way.
You mean pull down the mirror? The mirror is already up (blocking the viewfinder) ...

Super A is easier, I've fixed a few of them (stuck mirror) already. But this Z1 is an auto camera, don't know if it's an easy fix ...

05-31-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

ME supers behave in same manner after awhile and they've accumulated some
gunk in linkage on shutter that release's mirror from up position at end of shutter
stroke.Not sure about PZ's,but a little pressure on bell crank that (ME's)shutter leaves
are attached to,using something like the edge of a plastic ID card as a tool to
gently press down on that linkage will complete cycle and release mirror.
Odds are that it will hang up again on next cycling Frank,could be some mechanical
repairs required, in addition to a (C)lean,(L)ube,(A)djustment
06-01-2011, 01:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
You mean pull down the mirror? The mirror is already up (blocking the viewfinder) ...
No, I really meant "up," just a little bit.

It's a shot in the dark and may not do anything.
06-01-2011, 06:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
ME supers behave in same manner after awhile and they've accumulated some
gunk in linkage on shutter that release's mirror from up position at end of shutter
stroke.Not sure about PZ's,but a little pressure on bell crank that (ME's)shutter leaves
are attached to,using something like the edge of a plastic ID card as a tool to
gently press down on that linkage will complete cycle and release mirror.
Odds are that it will hang up again on next cycling Frank,could be some mechanical
repairs required, in addition to a (C)lean,(L)ube,(A)djustment
The lens looks very clean inside out, mirror bumper foam looks very new too. Don't know if it's something sticky inside.

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
No, I really meant "up," just a little bit.

It's a shot in the dark and may not do anything.

Tried but didn't work. When I press the shutter button, the motor is making some funny noise (like trying to wind the film or something), but mirror still stuck in up position

Now this beauty can only serve as a display set:

06-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Don't give up on it.
..but if you do decide to give up, just get another working Z1 and maybe you can just swap the external body to get a working unit that will still look like that.
I haven't actually had too much experience with the PZ-1p and don't know whether turning the film spool would do something if something is just jammed.
Open the film door then slip something (metal) thin onto where the film door lock goes into the body slot. It is the lock that you push down to open film door.
If you do it right, the lock tab will go up and the camera would work with the film door open..so you can see if you can actually move anything that will unjam it (in terms of film spool or the like).
Good luck
06-02-2011, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Z-1 was introduced 5 years earlier than MZ/ZX series. I wouldn't be surprised that drive trains in Z-1 were also made of plastics. The mirror motor runs at high RPM (>10k rpm) and therefore exerts high stress on the first gear. The plastic gear is glued on the motor shaft without any pin or key. The replacement motor for MZ series has a brass gear, but also is glued (or friction fit) on the motor shaft. I tried to drill a hole for installing a pin, but found the motor shaft was hardened steel. So all that I could do was to add a little epoxy at the end of the shaft to enforce it.
06-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Don't give up on it.
..but if you do decide to give up, just get another working Z1 and maybe you can just swap the external body to get a working unit that will still look like that.
I haven't actually had too much experience with the PZ-1p and don't know whether turning the film spool would do something if something is just jammed.
Open the film door then slip something (metal) thin onto where the film door lock goes into the body slot. It is the lock that you push down to open film door.
If you do it right, the lock tab will go up and the camera would work with the film door open..so you can see if you can actually move anything that will unjam it (in terms of film spool or the like).
Good luck
Thanks. Actually I thought about doing that also, but I was trying to push around the shutter from the front when playing the camera, but I don't want to damage that thing, so I didn't put too much force on that. Will try from the back and see how

QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
Z-1 was introduced 5 years earlier than MZ/ZX series. I wouldn't be surprised that drive trains in Z-1 were also made of plastics. The mirror motor runs at high RPM (>10k rpm) and therefore exerts high stress on the first gear. The plastic gear is glued on the motor shaft without any pin or key. The replacement motor for MZ series has a brass gear, but also is glued (or friction fit) on the motor shaft. I tried to drill a hole for installing a pin, but found the motor shaft was hardened steel. So all that I could do was to add a little epoxy at the end of the shaft to enforce it.

Hope that's the case, then it'd be an easier fix (just glue back the cracked gear, that's a lot repair shops do when they can't find spare parts ... Thanks btw for the tips.