Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
MZ-M problems, any ideas?

Hi folks,

Isn't it typical that you only register at a forum when you need help? :-)

I've been lurking a while and learning lots from this place (thanks everyone) but couldn't find a solution to this.

I borrowed an MZ-M from a friend to try out film, but have two problems:

1) Camera's not operational, only makes a strange whining noise when I touch any of the controls. Sounds like something's stuck. There are no data visible in the viewfinder either.

I dry fired it first and the shutter stuck, but that was solved by taking out the batteries (which are new). Before that the data in the viewfinder were visible so I don't know if there's a connection. Shutter seems to be in normal position now, and mirror is down.

2) It rewinds the film immediately after threading. Display shows frame 1, then rewinds completely. I've seen others have the same problem for example here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/144800-...m-problem.html, but no solution so far?

The camera's been unused for quite a while so maybe it's just clogged up? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

05-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi pero,mechanism that does apeture coupling could be hung up due to debris
accumulating in mirror box.With the lens off,facing body and looking inside its
on left side about midway,re-install batteries,power up and gently wiggle tab
of armature that moves coupling lever of lens,if its hung up,it should pop loose
and you'll feel it return to proper 'relaxed' or 'shelf' position.Display should return
to normal annunciation,everything good to go if thats the problem
Happened with my zx-m recently,acted in same manner after I used a tamron
PKA adapter on a tamron lens with my zx-m,only body it 'acts up' with,
works fine on all my other bodies.
Hope that takes care of it.
05-31-2011, 12:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks BillM,

I checked but that doesn't seem to be the problem. The lever moves freely and is in relaxed (upper) position.

That whining noise sounds lika a motor trying to move something that's stuck. But it's strange that the noise appears no matter which of the controls I touch (release button, dials, when switching on/off, even when I open the back cover). Perhaps there's some problem with the shutter since that got stuck earlier. Or the mirror or film transport, I don't know.
05-31-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Wish it would of worked out for you Pero.Think your on the right line of thought.
Nowdays,bodies have control interlocks in firmware,even with the age of those
ZX/MZ bodies being fairly 'young', some of those electro/mechanical linkages
are used in them and will gum up and degrade in performance.That tendency seems
to amplify during and after a long period of inactivity.Worst part of it is that the worth
of that thing is probably less than what a repair/cleaning fee might be if done professionally.

05-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #5

Original Poster
Well thanks for trying anyway, much appreciated. I guess you just have to be prepared for such things with these low budget cameras. And you're right about repairs, will hardly be worth the price. Maybe I'll slap it around a bit to see what happens :-)