Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #1

MX shutter lock tab missing.

I was playing around with my MX earlier today, trying to figure out how to do the MLU trick. While flicking the shutter release, apparently the little black tab on the shutter lock went flying and got lost. Do you how can I find a replacement part for it? It's a really cosmetic part, but the shutter lock turns from a switch to a little fork with it, makes unlocking the shutter a bit painful. Thanks!

^ that's the black tab I'm talking about

Last edited by PollitowuzHere; 06-09-2011 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Picture added
06-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
One way would be to get a broken-down MX for parts. Another would be to email someone known to do camera repairs (Eric Henderson?) and ask them if they have the part and how much for.
06-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PollitowuzHere Quote
... It's a really cosmetic part, but the shutter lock turns from a switch to a little fork with it, makes unlocking the shutter a bit painful....
I lost mine too. Bought a black parts MX hoping to get that tab off it, but it turns out the black model used a 1-piece lock that didn't have the insert part, and would have looked goofy on a silver body if I'd tried to transplant the whole thing. So I ended up doing something not very elegant; just a little piece of plastic I ground down and glued into place.

It's a bit too tall, and the wrong color, but works just fine.
06-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Wrong colour - bah!

The blue skin's the "wrong colour" too and that looks pretty good

Nice home-made solution IMO - a bit more fiddling, filing and rubbing down would get it looking as though it 'belongs'