Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I hope I don't regret this

I just bought a Super Program, -A 50mm 1.7 lens and field case all NIB. Although I don't really know how you could describe something 20 years old as new. Supposedly it still has the original battery with it (I'm sure that one's dead). Anyway, hope I don't regret it but I had to take a chance.

CW

06-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #2

Congrats. So long as it works, you are going to be a very happy camper.
06-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
how exciting getting something brand new yet very old! i had that experience last year when i bought a brand new in box olympus 35 RC never opened. the camera was still sealed in a plastic bag with the original mercury battery (corroded). the leatherette case had somewhat degraded as were the light seals which i replaced myself. exciting as in being the first person to take picture number one. unlike my old pentax cameras which i like to hold and wonder ... who owned it before me, what was his or her connection with the camera, what memories were created and so on....
06-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Super Program is a great camera. I took mine out for a spin a few months ago with excellent results.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/127597-other-long-live-f...-out-spin.html

Thanks!

Last edited by ismaelg; 06-14-2011 at 05:16 AM.
06-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ismael, link is a little wonky - you have two http:// and you only need one. I cleaned up the link in my browser address window and got to see your shots from Christmas and they're a real treat. I'm pretty fond of the SuperProgram, too.

Best,
Kevin

Last edited by KJon; 06-13-2011 at 09:02 PM. Reason: clarify post
06-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
Ismael, link is a little wonky - you have two http:// and you only need one...

Best,
Kevin
The forum has been doing that with some regularity. I have had two dead links in the last week or so with that issue.

Steve
06-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
...I don't regret it but I had to take a chance...
The film door light seals and mirror bumper will have to be replaced. You will probably want to check the mirror bumper before you even attempt a shutter actuation. The foam becomes gummy with age, sticks to the mirror, and the tarry bits get flung onto the focus screen where they require special care to remove. For replacement foam/seals see interslice (Jon Goodman) on eBay. His kits are $10 including shipping and are simply the best.

Steve

06-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

super program is very underrated camera.. you wont regret that..
06-14-2011, 03:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Total excellence, and it should be a very reliable and flexible camera to use.
06-14-2011, 05:12 AM   #10

Look at my signature as proof to how much I like this camera, got its younger brother (Program Plus) for free when I purchased a 35-105mm f3.5 lens. Since then added a Super Program and Super A to the stable. Very fun to use.
06-14-2011, 05:51 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grux Quote
how exciting getting something brand new yet very old! i had that experience last year when i bought a brand new in box olympus 35 RC never opened. the camera was still sealed in a plastic bag with the original mercury battery (corroded).
That's the way this one shows in the pic on the bay. Camera, lens, field case, even the user manual all still wrapped in plastic.

Thanks for the encouraging comments everyone. I already have a Super Program, or rather my wife does. Since she's not a "photographer" as such but does like to take pictures, the Super Program is set on Auto for her along with the lens set on A. That way all she has to do is focus and shoot. When I said hope I don't regret it, I was talking about hoping the camera wasn't one that had been taken out, used and then put back in the box.

I had a Program Plus also until the electronics went for a walk one day and never came back.

CW
06-14-2011, 07:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have two of these bodies. I like them, but they have a couple of issues. On one, the more pristine example, the exposure mode button lock is jammed. On the other, readings from plastic mount DA lenses can be erratic. I'm not a huge fan of the LCD info in the finder, which disappears in certain light conditions. Still, the advantages hugely outweigh the gripes.
06-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Congrats on the 'new' camera.

Well, it's nearly 30 years old camera, I'm sure the light seal and mirror bumper foam need to be changed. Good thing is they are pretty easy to change for this camera (not like MX or LX), can be easily done by yourself.

It's a pretty reliable camera (one of the more reliable ones from that era), and looks very nice too.

Cheers and happy shooting.
06-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Now you need a A 28/2, A 50/1.2, and an A* 85/1.4 and you can act like a rock star journalist! I am kidding in part but this body rocks with good A series lenses.
06-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The film door light seals and mirror bumper will have to be replaced. You will probably want to check the mirror bumper before you even attempt a shutter actuation. The foam becomes gummy with age, sticks to the mirror, and the tarry bits get flung onto the focus screen where they require special care to remove. For replacement foam/seals see interslice (Jon Goodman) on eBay. His kits are $10 including shipping and are simply the best.

Steve
I second that recommendation. A significant number of my Ebay buys of late '70s-to early '90s all needed new seals, though advertised as "Mint" (one NIB/demo had corroded batteries that leaked, etc). Things that were meant to work gum up when not in use for 20+ years.