Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2011, 04:13 AM   #1

What Have I Got Here?

Hi all,

I've come to these forums seeking some advice, I apologise in advance if I've selected the wrong area of the forums!

I've recently come into a couple of film SLRs from a relative along with a few lenses and cases. My knowledge of film SLRs isn't by any means extensive, I already own a standard K1000 that got me through my University course and does the job for me when I fancy taking some photos.

However, the two cameras I've now got extra I know very little about and was wondering if you fine people might be able to give some idea of value and reputation based on the photos linked below?

Thanks in advance for any comments!

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

07-08-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those are a couple of good SLRs.

The MX is among the most compact and capable manual-focus Pentaxes, mechanically similar to the K1000 but with a bigger and more informative viewfinder, split prism, self timer and depth of field preview. It has many users and admirers on these forums.

The P30n is less highly regarded, but in my opinion it's generally underrated; I have one that gives me consistently good results and is a pleasure to use. It has aperture-priority autoexposure (which both the K1000 and MX lack) but can still be used in manual mode. Some shortcomings are that it won't work at all without batteries, and it is not possible to set ISO arbitrarily - you're locked at whatever speed is encoded on the film canister.

MX reviews
P30n reviews

The lens looks to me like an older off-brand zoom, probably not of significant value. I won't comment on the dollar value of the camera bodies other than to say those vary a lot based on condition, salesmanship, and luck.

Last edited by Sluggo; 07-08-2011 at 07:31 AM.
07-08-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Clean them up see if they work; take care cleaning the lens properly though.