Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2011, 12:46 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yes I thought of that route before....but the only thing is that I am not all that good with manual meterings (I am using manual mode on my K-7 most of the time now but a lot of times I am being guided by the green button)....and so I am not sure what will I do without the green button.

Does the LX and MX have any spot/weighted metering and stuff? I can live without AF but without the meterings I am not sure...if the LX and MX have this feature then I think they are good candidates for consideration too.

07-22-2011, 03:12 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
if the LX and MX have this feature then I think they are good candidates for consideration too.
Know the MZ-S to be a fine camera,ability to record exposure data was reason I tried to find one to go with my LX,just wasnt to be.

MX meter is center weighted,outstanding body.Cant say enough good about it.
If it was my choice from the 'get-go',MX is economic winner.Hands down.

LX has metering system in league of its own...(I)ntegrated(D)irect(M)etering
Off the film plane.Only get full benefit in auto or Av(apeture priority)
in manual mode IDM,off film plane is still used,but is center weighted.
Same benefits with flash too.Hard to find better auto-metering system
for long exposures.
Again,outstanding body and system.Down side is...gotta pay to play
Maintenence cost for example,well beyond that of MX,above the point of entry cost.

FWIW...Any meter is a point of reference,relevance of that metering system
can only be gained with shooting experience.Sure you can relate that none of
those things are right all the time.

That being said,fair to include K1000? Just as outstanding as the other 2.
Maybe not as flexible or sophisticated,but can "get it done"
With a little shooting time,no batteries required there either.
What makes all 3 special to me.
07-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #18
Zav
Pentaxian

Keep in mind that old cameras like the MX may (and will probably) need service if you want everything clean and accurate.
07-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bill has given you a great deal of good information there.

If you would like to come along to a local PF meet in Perth sometime, I'd be happy to show you my MX and how it meters etc.

07-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for all the valuable inputs. Very helpful. Greatly appreciated.

Goddo31, thanks for the offer. I will make the PF meetup if possible. Thanks again.
07-23-2011, 11:37 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
Autofocus Film SLRs

Manual Focus Film SLRs
with feautures description and users opinions.

I can live without AF but without the meterings I am not sure...
You can buy an external light meter.
Despite light meter with spot are more expensive and/or you should take a look even at the used marked if you want save some money.

Last edited by alexfoto; 07-23-2011 at 11:45 PM.
07-24-2011, 12:08 AM   #22

I just received my MZ-s and I am in *love*!

It is the first SLR - of any kind, film or digital - that, in terms of handling, has made me question my unholy devotion to my beloved OM4Tis. Tiny, powerful, has everything you need, nothing you don't.

Why can't they make a pro-dSLR this size? I find it hard to believe that 'processing/CPUs/rear screen etc' takes up more room than all the physical stuff that's *missing* from dSLRs (film rails, film transport motors, pressure plate) etc.

The MZ-s has all this and manages to be smaller, lighter and ergonomically superior to my K5. If some manufacturer just had the cojones to make a review screen optional - with that change ALONE how much real estate could be saved? who needs chimping if you have to throw it up on a screen later anyway?

I want my SLRs *portable*. As in 'go everywhere' portable = light, small. My K5 comes with me in the smallest, most discreet bag I've ever used, but it's still weightier than an OM4+lens or this gorgeous piece of engineering (MZ-s)

07-24-2011, 12:46 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by zuikoholic Quote
Why can't they make a pro-dSLR this size? I find it hard to believe that 'processing/CPUs/rear screen etc' takes up more room than all the physical stuff that's *missing* from dSLRs (film rails, film transport motors, pressure plate) etc.
Some times ago i read some articles where was write that a sensor for a full frame camera cost about 10 time more respect an aps-c camera, so i think that is the real reason behind that decision. If you take a look now is the trend of mirrorless camera, full of electronics part, where the producer spend a lot less money while obtain huge margin from the consumer that buy similar product at very high price ...
07-24-2011, 08:03 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

None of the above

If you are interested in learning film photography with a 35mm SLR IMO you'd be far better off with a
classic manual focus Pentax with manual exposure mode. That includes the LX which might be overkill.
My recommendation is one of the manual exposure only Pentax models, in particular KX, KM, MX or K1000.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 07-24-2011 at 09:19 AM.
07-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #25
Veteran Member

The important thing in photography is to find interesting subject and to do proper composition. Exposure and focusing should be relegated to automation. (automation does not mean un-controlled). I started to learn photography using digitals, there is no way I would go back to using stone age cameras.

Last edited by violini; 07-24-2011 at 07:37 PM.
07-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #26

Yes I thought of that route before....but the only thing is that I am not all that good with manual meterings (I am using manual mode on my K-7 most of the time now but a lot of times I am being guided by the green button)....and so I am not sure what will I do without the green button.
Raider,

I think that this is only a matter of practice. I was a lot like you when I started shooting with my K20, however, as I really enjoyed shooting with my manual cameras, I logged a lot of hours of using my guess-o-meter. With the sunny16 rule (Ultimate Exposure Computer), I can usually preset my aperture and shutter speed (compensating for faster/slower speeds depending on my needs for DOF or motion blur) and be within 1 stop now outdoors (my low light judgment still needs a lot of work), then I check my camera meter, quickly correct and fire. All it takes is some practice, but it's not that hard. I think the payoff is using a small chrome camera.

Elliot
07-24-2011, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
The important thing in photography is to find interesting subject and to do proper composition. Exposure and focusing should be relegated to automation. I started to learn photography using digitals, there is no way I would go back to using stone age cameras.

I completely disagree with the latter part of your statement.
Exposure and focusing are important creative tools! What about depth of field??

My 'stone age cameras' can take better pictures than my K-5 - as long as I get the focus, exposure and development right.
07-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
...stone age cameras.

Chris
07-24-2011, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #29

"there is no way I would go back to using stone age cameras."

Not only is *my* best photography consistently better on film cameras, I would challenge ANY digital photographer to shoot the same subject, them using digital, and me using film *with the exception of sports only*, where the automation is really useful - although sports shooters covered plenty well before the invention of the motor drive...) - and I will produce a picture to equal or rival anything captured RAW.

for sharpness, colour etc - I will match any digital image in everything except sheer grain (but that's an aesthetic choice and often enhances a picture anyway).

it's ALL about technique. run and stun is for kids.
07-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zuikoholic Quote
They easily take up this space. Those electronics require distance to keep noise down and for cooling.

A non-K-mount mirrorless FF is what you could see in the MZ-S form factor. SR is an issue, and you'd do away with the OVF.

But I agree, the MZ-S is a dream photographer's camera.