Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2011, 03:16 AM   #1
Forum Member

ME Super not firing correct shutter speeds

Hi there,
I've just gotten my ME Super out for the first time in a year and it is only firing one shutter speed. The meter is working in the viewfinder and changes when I change the apperture. I've tested the batteries and they read 1.4v.

Any suggestions on what may be wrong? Or does it need a CLA. I've had the camera for about 20 years and can't recall doing this in that time.

Cheers

Michael

07-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikengstrom Quote
Hi there,
I've just gotten my ME Super out for the first time in a year and it is only firing one shutter speed. The meter is working in the viewfinder and changes when I change the apperture. I've tested the batteries and they read 1.4v.

Any suggestions on what may be wrong? Or does it need a CLA. I've had the camera for about 20 years and can't recall doing this in that time.

Cheers

Michael
1.4 V is marginal for 1.5 V rated batteries. If they're reading that way with a voltmeter, they're probably dropping even lower when the load increases, i.e., when the shutter has to be controlled in addition to metering. So even though there is some juice, I'd try fresh ones before moving to the next step.

Last edited by Sluggo; 07-23-2011 at 11:31 AM.
07-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah good point on the batteries. I've tried the batteries that are from my ME, no luck with those. Also tried a new set that I've had a while but they only read 1.39v, so'll get some fresh ones today. Would the ME super require more power than an ME?

The camera is just behaving as if there are no batteries in it. All the contacts in the battery compartment look clean.

Cheers
07-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikengstrom Quote
Yeah good point on the batteries. I've tried the batteries that are from my ME, no luck with those. Also tried a new set that I've had a while but they only read 1.39v, so'll get some fresh ones today. Would the ME super require more power than an ME?

The camera is just behaving as if there are no batteries in it. All the contacts in the battery compartment look clean.

Cheers
I don't know that I would expect one camera to draw more power than the other, unless it's unit-to-unit variation or something. It's true there might be something wrong with the camera; it's just usually worth it to try the fresh batteries before ruling them out.

Anyway, good luck.

07-23-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Mike,Seiko shutter in ME super is mechanically driven at all speeds,electrically timed
in auto and manual with exception of 1/125x.Theres a hybrid mechanical
escarpment that times that movement. Sounds like it could be a number of things,
fouled/broken mode selector being chief in my mind.Flexible printed circut board
that sits on top of prism is kinda vunerable too.(but metering sounds cool)
Still,mode selector can foul out with junk and not know what your "saying"
when its employed at different settings.
Sounds like CLA,little further diagnostic work might be in order.
07-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Problem's doubtless in the electronics. If Pentax had put a regular meter and a dial on ME Supers, they'd be worth gazillions now.