Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2011, 07:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Newb question for a first time film user

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I just bought some lenses off craigslist and included is a Pentax ME Super. I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointer. I have only used dSLR's. Sorry for the simple question. But, if I want to change lenses, do I have to do that in a dark room to avoid overexposing the film? Any recomendations on color or B/W film? Many thanks.

08-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Unless there is something wrong with it, you don't have to change lenses in a dark room.

Film choices are personal but I would not hesitate to use the following color films:
Kodak Gold 100, Ektar 100, Portra 400, E100G, E100VS
Fuji Velvia 50, Provia 100/400, Sensia 100/400, Pro160 C/S, Pro400H

I don't currently process my own b&w film so I use Kodak BW400CN which is b&w film that can be processed at the corner drug store as color print film.

Generally, negatives have much more latitude then slide film while slides are finer grained.

Good luck and share some results!
08-06-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
I just bought some lenses off craigslist and included is a Pentax ME Super. I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointer. I have only used dSLR's. Sorry for the simple question. But, if I want to change lenses, do I have to do that in a dark room to avoid overexposing the film? Any recomendations on color or B/W film? Many thanks.
No, you don't have to change lenses in a darkroom.

Get a manual here.

Pentax Manuals

Old Pentax literature.

Pentax Manuals
08-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Changing lenses on film cameras is just like your DSLR. Just do it. the film is safe behind the shutter curtain. Film choices depend on what you want to be doing (develop your own, have a lab do it). I'd suggest that you find some 400ISO film (color or b&w) and shoot a few rolls.

Kodak makes a 400 BW film that works in the local drug store color film processing lab. Give this a try too.
KODAK PROFESSIONAL BW400CN Film

I've been enjoying my rediscovery of film. Have fun.

08-06-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
be sure, when you load a film that you set the body for the same ISO/ASA.

that's the main thing i guess. Except that, enjoy shooting
08-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another thing to take into consideration is that given the age of the ME Super the light seals have probably deteriorated. If they have gone sticky they will need to be replaced.

Pentax Camera Service - Eric Hendrickson
08-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Mirror foam not hard to apply yourself either.
Can buy pre-cut kits on ebay for around $10.
Did both my Me spr's some years back,with material bought here in town.

08-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Can buy pre-cut kits on ebay for around $10.
Jon Goodman makes an excellent (best?) kit. He is interslice on eBay. (eBay My World - interslice) Unfortunately, Jon is taking a break from selling for several weeks, but I am sure that he will have is goods available again in the near future.

Steve
08-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I think if you get ahold of him directly by email you can get what you need. I did that and was able to get the seal kit for my Program Plus recently.
08-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #10

Ilford HP5+ ("real" silver based B&W) ISO400 - if you can find a processor, Ilford XP2 ISO400 (C41 "color" chromogenic B&W), Fuji Pro400H ISO400 (color negative)
08-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #11
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for the kind advice. I just got a roll back and have to say I was underwhelmed by the quality of the images. Exposure seemed good. Focus looks good but the image is not very sharp. I was using my 43 and 77 mm for most of the shots. It just seems that the contrast and color seemed to be poor. Is it that I just choose a low cost cheap film Kodak gold 200 mm or is it a problem with the developer CVS drug store? My wife dropped it off and it was ready in ~30 minutes so I thought that might have something to do with it. Some have mentioned replacing the seals. How can I tell if this is an issue? Do the images become markedly overexposed or do they lose contrast? Sorry about all the questions. This seems the place to come though. I thought by shooting Pentax I was in the minority but shooting Pentax and Film takes it to the HNL (hole 'nother level ~ sic)
08-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Post a scan and we can analyze it. Poor colour, contrast and sharpness could all be scanning issues. Kodak Gold 200 is a pretty decent consumer film and it is capable of producing very good images.

There is nothing wrong with using a 1 hour photo lab if is set up properly. Even when you order multi-day development it will still run through the same processing machine in the same way.
08-10-2011, 07:08 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Poor colour, contrast and sharpness could all be scanning issues.
+1...Drug store scans are often a source of discouragement. There is also the possibility that the processing was off too. I had periodic problems with poor processing from my local Costco (yes, they still do film there) and finally switched to a local pro lab. The price is the same and the pro lab gives me my film back sleeved and uncut...ready for me to scan.

Steve
08-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #14
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are a couple of the images that came on the CD provided with the negatives and the actual photos. I don't know if it shows but the photos seem flat to me perhaps loss of contrast and washed out colors. I can't remember the lens in the first shot (? k 55 mm) but the second shot was with a 77 mm Limited. The second image reminds me of the cross-processing/PP people are doing to get a vintage look. I don't particularly like the look, however. I think I could probably get better results with a disposable film camera which is why I am wondering if this is a processing, film , camera/user error. Thanks for everyone's help.

Name:  009_9.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  93.9 KB

Name:  024_24.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  161.3 KB