Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
ME Super missing mirror damper

Have taken about 10 exposures on my first roll of film in this camera. Along with a couple of other teething issues, I've realised that the mirror damper has almost completely disintegrated...I promptly ordered a kit to replace this myself. In the meantime would it be unwise to finish up my current roll of film before I get the repair kit through? I know there may be a risk of damaging the focus mirror as the central screw protrudes somewhat. Could this affect my exposures?

I've attached a photo to show the extent.

I appreciate that this is a very common problem.

Many thanks

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-LX5  Photo 
08-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would take out the film and develop it as it is without more exposure. It is not worth risking damages, or to risk smear the mirror/focus screen with debris of the old damper, just to get a few more shots out of the film.
08-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Douglas is right. Put that first roll down to experience. If you think you might have a couple of good shots then get it developed, if not keep the roll and use it to practice loading film onto the developing reel when you start doing your own developing I know I meant that slightly tongue in cheek but if you do start doing your own, you will need a "practice roll" to get the feel of winding it on the reel in the dark.

Get all your light seals and foam damper changed and then your ME Super will be in great condition for when you shoot your second roll.
08-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #4

Original Poster
Once again, thanks for the advice guys; I'll just have to be patient and do things properly...or find a 2nd body in the time being!!!

08-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very common problem
rewidn your film, and save it to use again (if you have done this before) otherwise just send it to develop.

Get a set of light seals from Jon Goodman (interslice(; it is quite easy to replace them yourself.
08-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #6

Original Poster
I ordered a set at the weekend from ebay so let's hope it arrives soon!
08-27-2011, 04:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How did the surgey go?

08-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #8

Original Poster
haha it hasn't arrived yet but is getting shipped across the Atlantic! Am getting just a tad impatient but will arrive soon I'm sure.
09-02-2011, 04:10 AM   #9

Original Poster
Part 1 of the surgery is complete. Cutting away the old damper and installing the new one. Only at times like this do I realise how indelicate my hands are - sticking the new mirror damper on was tricky for me to say the least. But after inadvertently sticking it to other components within the camera first, I finally hit the bullseye.

Cutting away the old damper (what was left of it) was also a tad difficult as I was instructed to hold the camera facing downwards to prevent the sticky old foam from falling into the camera.

Still, the finished product looks good. I'll finish shooting the film that is in the camera and then inspect the light seals in the back of the camera! It seems to me that this will be a much tougher task.

I won't deny it was fun though.