Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 11:05 AM   #1

ME super wind lever problem

Hi all,

I've just brought a bundle of Pentax stuff (mainly as there were some lovely lenses and a teleconverter) and included was a ME super. Apparently it should all work well but it doesn't and I promised my sister I'd try get it sorted for her so she can have her own slr. Basically the wind lever moves easily and isn't stuck but the film does not wind on. Everything else seems to be fine but I don't really know all that much about cameras really. Any help would be great thanks.

08-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Please explain further about not winding on... in meaning you did observe the take-up not moving but the shutter seems to cause that advance cycle to stop as if ready to take a picture.
OR
The lever seems to keep on winding and the shutter never seems to be cocked and ready.
OR
The lever will move and no other signs of the advance and cocking cycle seems to be observable.
08-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
How did you load the film if it won't wind on?
08-15-2011, 11:23 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Please explain further about not winding on... in meaning you did observe the take-up not moving but the shutter seems to cause that advance cycle to stop as if ready to take a picture.
OR
The lever seems to keep on winding and the shutter never seems to be cocked and ready.
OR
The lever will move and no other signs of the advance and cocking cycle seems to be observable.
Ugh, the last I believe. TBH I'm posting on my sisters behalf so I'll have to check myself. Basically the wind lever moves easily with absolutely no tension but the windy bit inside that the film goes on (technical term I know!) doesn't move even when the lever does. I hope that is a bit more clear now.

08-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
Giveaway winner!

It doe sounds as the if the spindle is broken... or for now... or that the cycle is not resetting due to the usual gunk from decayed foam inside. Q... can you hear mechanical bits trying to move around or does it sound like a metal Cuisinart inside (grinding bits of metal)?
08-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #6

Original Poster
When I move the lever it doesn't make any noise. It just feels like it isn't connected to anything. I think its basically broken but my sister has now got the photography bug so shes annoying me to get it fixed.
08-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
Giveaway winner!

If you don't feel the slightest connection, then it sounds like the broken spindle...

If you would like a look at a manual... http://www.robertstech.com/stuff/me-s_sm.pdf

...and I think part A314 or the portion it fits to has snapped.

Pity you're not in the neighborhood of New England I might give it a look.

08-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #8

Original Poster
Oh damn. Is it repairable or would the cost of repairing it be more than the camera itself is worth?
08-16-2011, 02:07 AM   #9
Giveaway winner!

If the part is available, then is depending on repair shop. It is a bit of digging inside to fix so they will charge quite a bit. I would say that if you can ask around the forum for reasonable repair shops in your area. The cost would certainly be equal to getting another body. Please convey my apologies to you sister that I could not be of more help.
08-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #10

Original Poster
Yeah I thought it wouldn't really be worth it if as we will be able to find another body cheaply enough. Thank you for all the help anyway. My sister knew already it was a long shot so she won't be disappointed.
07-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #11
Inactive Account

hi i had the same problem but managed to fix it

what i did was removed the bottem of the camra untill i got to a coil of some wire this was not on corectly i have never fixed a camra in my life but after i re coiled this (took me like almost a hour ) them put all back to gether it worked fine but in the prcess of fixing it i manged to lose my A510 Release plate restitution spring 1 23900-A510 i dono if i cann buy one eny were
07-14-2015, 06:28 PM   #12

It's funny that this thread was brought back from the dead right now, because I just bought an ME Super from an antique shop, shot a roll of film with it that turned out great, and 5 minutes ago I went to load another roll of film in it and the film advance lever did this exact thing.

There must be a connection or pin broken because it'll click in and out of it's "totally shut / slightly unshut" positions, but open it past those two clickable positions and it swings freely. Clearly there is no connection, no grinding or broken gears, it's like spinning an office chair.

Bummed me out because it's $40 down the drain and it was in really good condition too. Now I've got a dead ME Super, dead K1000, and working ME with no light seals.
07-14-2021, 08:48 AM   #13

Just shot my fourth roll on a pentax me super that I was gifted after shooting a disposable and loving it. Same issue just occurred when I tried to load a new roll. Hoping to get a fix 🤞. It’s my first manual film camera