Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How to repair Pentax ME Super

Hi, today having nothing to do I disassembled my broken ME Super. Obviously I didn't repair it, but I would like somebody to explain me, based on my pictures, what is wrong with it. It has two very common problems for this type of camera: the film winds but the shutter does not cock, and the frame counter stopped working at 8. Another attempt of repairing it had already been made by an incompetent repairman, so I don't know exactly how things should look inside of it. Sorry for the shaken picture, I will try to post more tomorrow when there will be better light. Basically there is a loose spring that I think shouldn't be like that, but I can't see where it should go. Thanks a lot.

08-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
First off... do you have a repair manual? If not yet...

http://www.robertstech.com/manuals.htm

Common to the ME super would be foam decay in and around the mirror box. One critical area near the auto-aperture lifter is an arm that sticks out to reset the cock mechanism. Gummed up, it will not extend to sort of confirm the cocking cycle is complete. Another area might be below near the power winder socket. A plate in part of the reset for the advance. A metal tab is know to shear off from abuse and without it, the winder will never complete a advance cycle. The counter should be check to see if it is seated properly. The spring that keeps the tension on a ratchet may be in a wrong place or missing...
08-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I should have mentioned: the film winds but the shutter does not ALWAYS cock, now I think I have also positioned something wrong, because it won't wind at all. The link does not work for me, it says "forbidden". Maybe if it works to you, you could share the contents with me. Thanks.
08-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Do try a google for the ME super service manual... it could be due to your country that a copyright restriction is imposed. Try to search it first and if not, I'll work out another method later.
Did you already take apart the mirror box from the chassis/body? If you are not in the correct position in the advance cycle and insert the mirror set wrong... or if someone did this... then the cycle for the advance is out. The cocking of the shutter will need to be done correctly first. The mirror must be cleaned of all "gunk". As they say in the Film Photography Project... "no violence"... so don't force a part if it is not cooperating. As it sounds like one of the arms is behind the other... so they are not aligned. I've repaired MG and MV and an old ME with similar issues. I actually have a ME super coming in the mail to repair so I might do the work along side you and trade notes.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 08-20-2011 at 05:19 PM.
08-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
shutter does not ALWAYS cock
If someone had that open and dis-assembled incorrectly...good luck.

Confirmation mentioned is part of mechanical interlock's employed to ensure
sequential operation of shutter stroke/rewind cycle.Link that was available
which illustated location and operation,no longer active.A small spring is used
with cam follower(not sure if that's what pentax calls,what comes to mind)
Cam looks like small white nylon sleeve on spindle.If it gets dirty,end result is
what you describe.Small spring is attached to follower.Again,not sure what writer
chose to call it,but it "pre-loads" follower to ensure proper mechanical contact
and alignment.To access requires removal of shutter assembly.
08-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope is not late for you to do this, but if you or a friend have a compact digital camera (prefferably a Pentax) I hope that you have 1) set the compact digital camera to close-up / macro mode and 2) taken lots of photos of each step of disassembly. Additionally, there may be 2 small springs directly under the up and down shutter speed buttoms that you don't want to lose. I have worked with a Pentax MEF (similar construction) and if you lose those any of those springs, you may be able to use the camera only at 1/125th second mechanical shutter speed and no electronic exposure meter.
08-21-2011, 12:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

There was a great site for this, mypentax.com, but it appears to be expired now.

However, lots of info online about this popular cam. including repair.
The reason this happens is some rubber buffer that gets old. Need to separate the mirror cage from the chassis.Don't continue if you are not sure what you are doing. It's a rather simple repair.

Octav

08-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
Giveaway winner!

My new...old broken ME super has arrived!
Oh... Favorite Classics > Pentax ME Super Ramblings > Three Common Failure Problems
...interesting info.

My camera surgery on the ME Super will possibly start Monday Aug. 22nd night or Wednesday Aug 24th night if I'm still up late... I'll try to list and document as I go.

UPDATE:
So... this camera has the following symptoms that I've found so far.
Advance is not stopping, it just keeps going for quite a few cranks and then it might stop and I can fire the shutter in 125X
Shutter does not complete cycle. It will fire off curtain 1 and curtain 2 will run 97% of the way and stop, requires a finger on one of the leaf arms to coax it down all the way.
Diagnosis? Foam gumming up the portion near the part that lifts up the auto-aperture lever or next to the timer lever.

Below are the first crumbs removed from next to the mirror box just under the location of the selector buttons.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 08-22-2011 at 03:33 PM.
08-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
Giveaway winner!

Top to Bottom...
Rewinder knob - wedge tool in the spindle prongs that turns the cassette, knob unscrews counter-clockwise
ASA/ISO selector - sorry I put is out of sequence... next
Retainer slotted nut - A two prong tool must grip well to get it spinning... I use a modified jewelry priers to open it... I have a spanner tool that is too big for this one.
Screw located on deck side next to ISO/ASA selector - easy enough...
Screw located the side of PENTAX - easy enough...
That is it for that side.
08-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
Giveaway winner!

Top to Bottom:
Advance Lever Cap - Tricky one... you spin it off the other way. Clockwise to remove. Try adding friction with finger cot or gripping with thin rubber pad.
Slotted Nut Lever Retainer - Also tricky... Clockwise to remove. A tiny spanner or prior mentioned DIY tool.
Lever - lift up and out
Spring - note direction and lift up and out
Screw Upper Deck - easy enough...
Screw located to the side of the PENTAX - easy enough...
08-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #11
Giveaway winner!

also remove the screws to each side of the viewfinder and...
Carefully lift the shell up and out...why?

Because...

this little pin/post may be stuck to the release arm. Note the stain where it was stuck.
08-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey, can you please post another picture from the same angle as mine? I'd like to see where that loose spring has to go. Thanks.
(Oh, and maybe show us how to repair the winding problem, I think it may be related to the black wind lock which is under the bottom cover.)
08-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #13
Giveaway winner!

Sure... coming up....

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 08-22-2011 at 04:21 PM.
08-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #14
Giveaway winner!

Next up is the Mirror Box and to try and pry off with fewest wires to de-solder.

I'm a little tired so I'll see how far I get...
08-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #15
Giveaway winner!

OK... I'm starting to fade in concentration... I will review procedures and take notes for the next steps.... 8:15p.m. I may need to continue on a different site? Don't want to upset someone with all these pics. Still have to release the face plate.

Here is where I am right now and I still have another broken ME Super coming in a few days.