Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
It is unfortunate that Pentax pioneered the spot meter but didn't implement it after.
Do you mean the Pentax handheld spotmeters, or the Spotmatic? The Spotmatic does indeed derive its name from a Spot Meter, as it was originally developed to have one, but at the last moment they decided to give it center-weighted metering, just like the LX has. Right now, I really want Pentax spot meter, because it would be so useful for Large Format.

I do agree though, an LX with Center Weighted or Spot at the flip of a switch would be rockin'. The LX would be perfect with that, Auto-aperture capability, and AE-lock. I'd consider it perfect with all that.

10-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
That Pentax pioneered spot metering and never incorporated into their SLR until the modern autofocus cameras was too bad. However, from all that I have used, it's as close to perfection as any!
10-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
decided to give it center-weighted metering, just like the LX has
That would have been nice, but the Spotmatic has plain averaging metering. At least that is how I remember it from back-in-the-day.

Steve
10-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That would have been nice, but the Spotmatic has plain averaging metering. At least that is how I remember it from back-in-the-day.

Steve
On the Pentaxforums.com camera review and information pages, the Spotmatic is listed as having center-weighted metering.

Pentax Spotmatic - M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Database and Reviews - DSLR, Digital, and Legacy Cameras

10-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
On the Pentaxforums.com camera review and information pages, the Spotmatic is listed as having center-weighted metering.

Pentax Spotmatic - M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Database and Reviews - DSLR, Digital, and Legacy Cameras
I noticed that, though I don't believe it to be true. The first I remember regarding center-weighted metering on any camera was in the mid-1970s. Before then, they were either average or spot or both. Never mind, though, that the averaging meters all sufferered from uneven sensitivity in the corners and edges.

Steve
10-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Judicious use of an averaging or center-weighted meter can be as effective most of the time.
Billions of well-exposed photos have been taken with Pentax cameras despite the lack of spot metering.
I'm not surprised Pentax left it out. It would have been an unnecessary complication for most users.
Its exclusion certainly didn't seem to hurt sales of Spotmatic and later Pentax models.
And with the advent of advanced autoexposure SLRs matrix metering just made more sense.

Chris
10-29-2011, 06:47 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Judicious use of an averaging or center-weighted meter can be as effective most of the time.
Billions of well-exposed photos have been taken with Pentax cameras despite the lack of spot metering.
I'm not surprised Pentax left it out. It would have been an unnecessary complication for most users.
Its exclusion certainly didn't seem to hurt sales of Spotmatic and later Pentax models.
And with the advent of advanced autoexposure SLRs matrix metering just made more sense.

Chris
I'd agree - any of the metering patterns can work well if you understand it and have worked with it enough to predict the results. Pentax kept the center-weighted design through most of their manual cameras, and it was the best choice for general use at the time. I preferred the Leicaflex SL "large spot" meter, but you have to judge which part of the scene to meter. I'm not comfortable with the matrix metering, as I don't always know what it will do, so I still prefer a central spot to meter, then shift the frame.

11-01-2011, 05:40 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just found the link again to this 1985 booklet of the Pentax LX -> Google Translate

Click on "Suite" to next page
12-31-2011, 11:22 PM   #39

Thanks for the memories, LesDMess (sniff, sniff).
01-01-2012, 06:27 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You're welcome.

Of course it's unmatched capabilities still make it quite pertinent to use today.
01-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the review, which had the added bonus of tests of the K50/1.2, M28/2, and M85/2.

By the way, on the lack of the spot meter, if you really wanted to use spot metering back then, I can think of a certain company that made spot meters....
01-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Besides the Alpha and the Omega, there were some other good cameras made too .
Courtesy of members here I can now duplicate that photo
01-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Did the magazine review seal the deal, or was it the elegant beauty or maybe the superior build or technical specs . . .
01-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did the magazine review seal the deal, or was it the elegant beauty or maybe the superior build or technical specs . . .
I love reading these old articles and seeing the old ads. The article was timely because I had just gotten an LX.

The 60's and early 70's weren't all bad, though many would have us believe they were. I'd call them the heyday of over-engineering and pride of workmanship held by my father's generation contrasted by the raw cynicism of mine. The article itself reflects those higher values . . .

My graduation present was the KX and K50/1.4 in my sig. I had the Sightseeing Screwmount twice. I got a K here, then an SV from the same seller, and just recently here I finally got the LX I've lusted after for 35 years.

IMHO the SV is the most seductive camera ever produced and the engineering in the LX is sublime.
01-11-2012, 03:53 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Those were the days when reviews seemed to be written with the prospective consumer at heart - and investigating the critical operational and life-cycle issues to a consumer about to part with a substantial chunk of their hard earned.
Now, the electronics industry in partiuclar, treats its products as feature laden disposables. And the reviews of many products, whether cars or sound systems or cameras, are written in terms of which features are included, and whether they work as claimed, but the question of long-term durability and product lifecycle and legacy compatibility is not addressed.
I think that the magazines publish puerile reviews because the ads for the products pay for the magazine, and so the magazines cannot afford to put the manufacturers offside - particularly as in most industries there are very few manufacturers left - or at least genuinely independent makers - after all the takeovers and alliances. This also reduces the genuine differentiation of products.
I talked to the CEO of a large company in a niche manufacturing area who once told me - the top company in each industry makes good money, second and third make some money and the rest are almost wasting their time - unless their real business is something other than their headline activity.
I remember a good review in 1981 of the LX in Australian Photography - made me really want one, but at over double what I had paid for an MX earlier that year I could not get one. But one of my classmates did get one. Nice!
Today I got two more STak lenses delivered, and I went to the local camera shop to get filters for them. The assistant asked what camera I used - Pentax - and then he asked if I was using old lenses. I said mainly STaks - he seemed envious.