Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
MarieDJ

Pentax MX with M42 Adapter - Cannot fit 21mm lens

Hello everyone!

I have an MX fitted with a genuine pentax M42 adapter to use those great takumar lenses. However, I just acquired a Mamiya Sekor 21mm lens that will not screw in all the way...and I am unsure as to why. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

08-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw your photo on flickr.
If you have a screw mount camera test the lens there; maybe the threads were damaged at some point.
Otherwise, some Mamiya lenses used to sit at an angle compared to takumars.
08-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

There may be a small pin sticking out of the back of the lens that is fouling the mount. I recall a customer of mine having this problem with a Mamiya lens.
08-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
MarieDJ

I will test it out - my Spotmatics are currently in Eric Hendrickson's hands getting a much needed overhaul. As soon as I get them back I will see.

08-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

What series Mamiya Sekor lens is it? The SX series M42 lenses had extra coupling hardware that may be the source of the problem.

Steve
08-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
MarieDJ

The lens does say SX - I am attaching some pics...
Attached Images

08-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

looks very good!!
However the rear element seems to be quite large and may touch the mirror and thus prevent it from screwing in
just a hunch... can you try it in the adaptor out of the camera

08-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarieDJ Quote
The lens does say SX - I am attaching some pics...
See the pin on the left? That is probably your problem. As suggested above, you might try putting the adapter on the lens off-camera as a test.

You might also try Google since this is a known compatability issue with the SX lenses on non-SX compatible bodies. Here is a link to a page that details the surgery to make your lens usable with other than SX cameras:

Mamiya Sx lens auto diaphragm pin modification and adapting.

Steve
08-27-2011, 05:32 AM   #9
MarieDJ

Thank you for the link. I had no idea what I was getting myself into when purchasing this lens! I am not too much of a handy person when it comes to DIY, but do you think Eric Hendrickson might be able to mod it for me? I will ask him, but just wondering if he does that normally?

Thank you so much for resolving this issue. At least I know what was causing the issue.
08-27-2011, 06:13 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Given the quirkiness of the SX series lenses, they are still excellent performers. As far as Eric modifying it for you, email him along with the above pic. I suspect he would. He also needs to deal with the aperture pin in addition to the other pin because it doesn't have an A-M switch which means it is in Auto all the time. It will need to be in manual to use on K-mount film and digital bodies. That over hang the aperture ring does has given me problems before on The Sekor 28mm SX.