Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2011, 06:34 AM   #1

Eye cup for ME Super

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi all ... Can anyone recommend a rubber eye cup for the ME Super ... any specific model/supplier? ... Do they make it easier to see the shutter speed LEDs in the viewfinder?
Thanks
Greg

08-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
Inactive Account

The viewfinder frame on the ME Super seems to be a bit different, I have a Seagull eyecup and other accessories and had to modify one of the adapters to fit my ME Super.. The viewfinder sits so close to the door that interference is possible when you open the camera If the door hits any viewfinder accessory when it's being opened it could bend. The Seagull brand accessories are good quality and work fine and come with an assortment of adapters.
08-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Bob ... Yes the Seagull eyecups look good ... I'm just wondering how that shape would work for vertical shots? ... And can you still get your eye close enough to see the entire image and the LEDs?
Cheers
Greg
08-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gregmacc Quote
Hi all ... Can anyone recommend a rubber eye cup for the ME Super ... any specific model/supplier? ... Do they make it easier to see the shutter speed LEDs in the viewfinder?
Thanks
Greg
Pentax made a specific eye-cup "M" for the M series bodies.

Here is an ebay link for a new one for sale:

Pentax Caps Eye-cup M ....NEW | eBay

There is a similar looking Pentax eye-cup II, it will be too small and is for the M42 & K series film bodies.

Phil.

Attached Images

08-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Thanks Bob ... Yes the Seagull eyecups look good ... I'm just wondering how that shape would work for vertical shots? ... And can you still get your eye close enough to see the entire image and the LEDs?
Cheers
Greg
The rubber cup will rotate on the base for vertical shots. With the adapters I can use the same eyepiece accessories on all my cameras, Pentax, Minolta and Sony. My old eyes aren't very good now, I need all the help I can get. With the cup you can see full screen, with the magnifying eyepiece you have to flip it up. The Seagull products are based on old Minolta designs, they bought the rights from Minolta. I have the cup, a magnifying eyepiece and the right angle viewer.
I did need to modify an adapter to fit the ME super.

Last edited by bobh; 08-28-2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: error
08-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks Phil ... They look good ... but a bit expensive ... and the shipping cost to Australia ... ouch ...
08-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Bob .. Can you explain the modification required?
Greg

08-29-2011, 03:33 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I had to widen the rail opening slightly and mill off a bit at the bottom so it wouldn't block the film door. Wet or dry sandpaper and a little block of wood was all it took. I leave the adapter on all the time, it isn't very noticeable.
Paying 50 dollars is absolutely out of the question for me.

Last edited by bobh; 08-29-2011 at 03:36 AM. Reason: error
08-29-2011, 06:10 AM   #9

Original Poster
No worries Bob ... I've transfered some funds into my PayPal account today and will purchase the Seagull version later in the week ... Thanks for the info ... much appreciated
Greg
08-29-2011, 06:36 AM   #10
Inactive Account

The Seagull products may not be up to the old cast iron standards but it's decent and functional stuff.
08-29-2011, 06:52 AM   #11

Original Poster
Bob ... I'm actually a "lefty" when it comes to looking into the viewfinder ... Is that going to be a problem? Will the cup rotate through 180Deg.?
Thanks again
Greg
08-29-2011, 07:46 AM   #12
Inactive Account

It rotates 360 degrees, no problem.
08-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Phil ... They look good ... but a bit expensive ... and the shipping cost to Australia ... ouch ...
You can find used Pentax eye-cups on ebay for a couple dollars.
I have found that the original Pentax ones fit better and since they are round work in horizontal or vertical shooting without having to adjust them.
I had an eye-cup similar to the Seagull one and ended up tossing it as it was a pain to use.

Phil

Last edited by gofour3; 08-29-2011 at 02:47 PM.
08-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #14
Inactive Account

If you get lucky and find one with rubber which hasn't exceeded it's life span that's fine. Most of the originals I see around here have cracks in the rubber cup. Way up there in the North country rubber probably lasts a lot longer than it does in the Florida sun..