Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
09-16-2011, 07:15 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Uttering the words of satan... film...

Why does this happen to me?

One day, while trying to compose a shot (last week), a fella must have noticed my camera and I guess was compelled to ask... "excuse me..." I looked up from the viewfinder to find a tall gentlemen that had tapped me on the shoulder while I was trying to focus in on a shot. With a semi curious hard brow look, he ask, "I'm researching for my digital camera purchase and I was wondering which model you have there... it looks very serious" I lost my shot so I decided to try and be helpful and answer, "Oh, it's the Pentax LX. It's a film camera." He stood there surprised or angry, I could not say at first. Then without another word, he turned and went down the street looking back a few times and acting like I had buffed foul sulfuric smoke and uttering the words of satan... film photography. Note... I did check my breath and it seemed fine and no horns or a pointy tail was protruding... at the time.

... I am the weirdo magnet!

My odd world of photography? Anyone have an odd one to share?

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 09-16-2011 at 08:14 AM.
09-16-2011, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #2
Inactive Account

"Satin"?
09-16-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
Thanks bobh... spelling suck this morning
09-16-2011, 08:11 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Carry a 6x9cm folder on a tripod. Wear straw hat and bow tie and suspenders. People will stop and point but will keep their distance. Especially if you have a machete on your belt. This works for me every time.

09-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How old was this tall gentleman? If he was over 30, he should have some clue about film. I admit that when I have the MZ-3 mixed in with my K20d & K200d most folks assume it is digital. They looked very surprised when they find out after they have witnessed me switching lenses between it and one of the dSLR.
09-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Carry a 6x9cm folder on a tripod. Wear straw hat and bow tie and suspenders. People will stop and point but will keep their distance. Especially if you have a machete on your belt. This works for me every time.
I prefer the internal waist band holster.
09-16-2011, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I enjoy making a show of chimping my film cameras, just to play with people

...of course, under the heading the more things change the more they stay the same: with red-window advance medium format cameras, you have to chimp.

09-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I enjoy making a show of chimping my film cameras, just to play with people

...of course, under the heading the more things change the more they stay the same: with red-window advance medium format cameras, you have to chimp.
When I chimp the mz-3, I look around hoping no one saw me.
09-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
Blue, I would say he was about actually about thirties. I just think he thought he could spot his first love dslr or something.
09-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
Banned

I’m really surprised at his stated reaction to be honest, as most people nowadays seem to be very curious and in my own personal opinion, quite happy at the sight of a film camera. I got quite a few comments and questions the other day when I was out with one of mine, and none of them were anything like you described. I guess he’s not much interested in older technology, or those people who use it.
09-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could it be SATAN?!
09-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #12
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
crewl1, if I had the right head of hair and lose the face hair, I think I could pull off a good Church Lady.

séamuis, I wonder if in a "high tech", fast-fast, town like Boston, that attitudes are more impatient. To be fair, I've had very nice 18 to 22 types... maybe art student say that that they "dig film too". I've run across some very nasty comment as well, like this past spring a couple of guys decked out in really big CaNikon dslr say while stand around me while I was setting up my 6x7 shot, "this won't take as long as if we had a film camera and fire rapid for at least twenty shot a piece and then walk away laughing.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 09-16-2011 at 01:10 PM.
09-16-2011, 03:27 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When using my 645N on a tripod, some yob asked my "How many megapixels is that whatever it is?" I told him 30 or 40, he was impressed and wanted to see the screen to see what the shot looked like. When I told him it was a film camera he walked away, mumbling something like "G D smart A**" or something similar.

Oh well.
09-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Hmm. I have a baby Busch 2x3 press camera. With that on a tripod and a focus cloth over my head - and my wife to keep watch for wackos - I should be really able to weird folk out! Bwaaaah!
09-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #15
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
grhazelton, you know that if you run the math based on film type that it could be any number from 30 megapixel to 500 megapixel... or there abouts. You know if you get a smart remark while under the cloth, just remind them that you are creating not chimping.