Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2014, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #3196
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sprockets Hole Photography

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
How did you load the 135 film in the camera? I've seen some special kits to do this but they're rare and hence expensive.
The low-tech way is to put a regular 35mm canister in the camera at the usual place, center it with a bit of foam rubber top and bottom and attach the end of the film to the 120 take-up spool with a piece of tape. Some cut the leader to have a square end, but I don't bother with that. The red window at the back should be closed and also taped over with some black electrical tape.

The high tech way is to purchase ready-made spacers or a sprocket kit, but they are expensive for what you get.

My way was to cut the ends off a spare 120 spool so that I could use these as spacers to center the canister in the camera (in relation to the frame equidistant from top and bottom). The top spacer must be shorter than the bottom one in order to center the canister correctly. In addition, I glued two small hardwood pegs to the spacers that fit inside the 35mm spool. These keep the whole assembly together.

I have taken some photos that explain it all much better. This is what my spacers look like:

Pull the leader across to the take-up spool and attach with a piece of tape:

There is no frame counter on an old folder camera, and you obviously cannot use the window on the back, as the film does not have any backing paper with numbers. I marked the rewind wheel with a felt-top pen and count the revolutions. I advanced the film two full turns for each frame, but obviously this will gradually advance the film more as take-up spool holds more film. I have since found a 35mm Film Advance Guide for Sprocket Hole Photography that tells me the number of turns to use starting with just under two turns and ending with just one turn as the take-up spool is filled up. With this method it should be possible to get 24 frames on a 35 mm film in a 6x6 camera.

I got only 13 frames on my first try:

I can see that a modern canister fits better than an old Ilford one, so light leaks and hopefully also scratches should not be a problem next time.

---------- Post added 09-03-2014 at 03:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Certainly a distinctive look, and somehow especially striking with the cattle!
Yes, it's a gimmick, I know. But sometimes it fuels the imagination to try something new.
On the one with the cattle I used a harder grade filter during printing (Multigrade RC paper - filter grade 4). Most of the others are grade 3 or in some cases grade 2. Grade 4 gives a more punchy result.

Last edited by LaHo; 09-03-2014 at 03:33 AM. Reason: spelling
09-03-2014, 05:15 AM   #3197
Veteran Member

Last week I was in Utah getting my son moved in for his first year of college. All I took was the Fuji GF670 and several rolls of film.

1. Bridal Veil Falls; Provo Canyon (HP5+)

2. Deer Creek Reservoir (Neopan 100 Acros)

3. Deer Creek Reservoir (Neopan 100 Acros)

4. Old Railroad Cars in Vivian, UT (Tri-X)

09-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #3198
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by revdocjim Quote
Last week I was in Utah getting my son moved in for his first year of college. All I took was the Fuji GF670 and several rolls of film.

1. Bridal Veil Falls; Provo Canyon (HP5+)
2. Deer Creek Reservoir (Neopan 100 Acros)
3. Deer Creek Reservoir (Neopan 100 Acros)
4. Old Railroad Cars in Vivian, UT (Tri-X)
Lovely images, great clarity.

[IMG]
For Sale par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity[/IMG]

Pentax MX, Kodak BW400CN film, somewhere in France... and possibly by K30/2.8 lens.

K.
09-05-2014, 04:59 AM - 2 Likes   #3199

wow, a lot of nice new shots here.

Here some 6x4.5 Images from my new Great Wall Camera. Film was a Ilford FP4 (ISO 125).

09-05-2014, 05:41 AM   #3200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nild Quote

Here some 6x4.5 Images from my new Great Wall Camera. Film was a Ilford FP4 (ISO 125).
Now these are interesting and enchanting results... looks like a fun camera
09-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #3201
Veteran Member

All on XP2

K85 f1.8

FA20-35

09-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #3202
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nild Quote

nild, post more often!

09-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #3203

Photos: Albums
AS350-B3
Spotmatic II 105mm FP4+
After some practice with the old camera it gets easier to hit moving targets.

09-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #3204
IHS

^^^ Great shot!!! I love how it's got just a touch of blade blur to give you a feel for the motion. It makes me want to hold my hat on!
09-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #3205

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IHS Quote
^^^ Great shot!!! I love how it's got just a touch of blade blur to give you a feel for the motion. It makes me want to hold my hat on!
Thanks IHS. Those tail rotors turn around 2000 RPM, so 1/250 gives about one eighth of a turn of blur. It would have been F4 on an cloudy morning.
09-08-2014, 04:50 AM - 2 Likes   #3206
Veteran Member

Painter at work, taken with my old K1000 and K-55mm f2.0
09-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #3207
Pentaxian

The chateau at Leycoussaudie, Dordogne. Pentax MX, Kodak BW400CN film, orange filter.

Leycoussaudie par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
09-11-2014, 04:30 AM   #3208
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote

Painter at work, taken with my old K1000 and K-55mm f2.0
I like-d this photo of yours!

BTW, these kind of scenes are pretty challenging to expose for correctly. May i know if you manually metered or you just trust and gun away with the built-in meter?
09-11-2014, 08:09 AM   #3209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
I like-d this photo of yours!

BTW, these kind of scenes are pretty challenging to expose for correctly. May i know if you manually metered or you just trust and gun away with the built-in meter?
To be fair...I don't even think I was checking the lightmeter when I shot this, I was all focused on the following things:

1) Get the scene framed correctly
2) Get a shallow but not too shallow DOF that would have allowed me to have the painter and paint of focus but separated by the background
3) Not to get noticed by the guy or anybody around!!!

As far as I remember I achieved a decent result setting at f2.8 and increasing the shutter speed at 1/1000s (it was a sunny day) and then I preyed the pic was coming well because I did all of that in 5 seconds or so, I am sort of happy with the result also because the K1000 doesn't have DOF preview, and you can't see the opening and shutter speeds in the viewfinder.

Take into account that usually my rangefinders don't have lightmeter at all so for B&W at least I don't care much, if the lightmeter gives me what I consider an incorrect exposure I just ignore it and I find had held lightmeters unbelievably unconfortable, however that film came out pretty well, here there's another shoot:

And in the critique section there's what I consider my best shot, the bike, but the only person who commented it say it's not so good...
09-11-2014, 08:44 AM   #3210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
To be fair...I don't even think I was checking the lightmeter when I shot this, I was all focused on the following things:

1) Get the scene framed correctly
2) Get a shallow but not too shallow DOF that would have allowed me to have the painter and paint of focus but separated by the background
3) Not to get noticed by the guy or anybody around!!!

As far as I remember I achieved a decent result setting at f2.8 and increasing the shutter speed at 1/1000s (it was a sunny day) and then I preyed the pic was coming well because I did all of that in 5 seconds or so, I am sort of happy with the result also because the K1000 doesn't have DOF preview, and you can't see the opening and shutter speeds in the viewfinder.

Take into account that usually my rangefinders don't have lightmeter at all so for B&W at least I don't care much, if the lightmeter gives me what I consider an incorrect exposure I just ignore it and I find had held lightmeters unbelievably unconfortable, however that film came out pretty well, here there's another shoot:

And in the critique section there's what I consider my best shot, the bike, but the only person who commented it say it's not so good...
Ah.... I see... Thanks for the share! I guess one man's meat is another man's poison; i still like the shot of the painter better... ;P