Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-04-2011, 02:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Where to get the genuine m42 to pk adapter from?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi

Does anyone know where I could buy the Pentax adapter for my m42 lenses? Pentax webstore doesn't have it, ebay only has one seller and it's quite expensive. I'm located in EU.

Pasi

10-04-2011, 02:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found it in the FOKA store in Netherlands.
Send the Pentax Store an email, they are pretty good in answerign and normally ship the parts they have or estimate when they will be available
10-04-2011, 02:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Not a clue, but there are a lot of perfectly good knockoffs on ebay. Just look for one of the infinity focus capable ones that has large enough notches to get your nails into to remove it from the mount.

Here is the one I got, and it works perfectly. I have no trouble removing it without the tool.
10-04-2011, 02:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Pentax-America did carry,the real deal.
KEH also,but used
Not always in stock,6 month warranty when they are.

10-04-2011, 03:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you have a shop where you can buy some Pentax gear, you might be able to command one. I guess.

Or email Pentax, they aswer seriously to the question we are asking.
10-04-2011, 03:43 AM   #6
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had an order placed with Pentax USA, but after six months, they sent me an email cancelling my order due to lack of inventory.

Fortunately I was in Tokyo on business last week and bought three off the shelf.
10-04-2011, 04:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't understand the fascination with overpaying for something like this, just to have a brand name printed on it.

10-04-2011, 05:35 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I don't understand the fascination with overpaying for something like this, just to have a brand name printed on it.
if you ask anyone who uses m42 lenses often, they will all I guarantee agree that there is a very real difference between the quality of the Pentax adapter and the cheap ones you can get from ebay, etc. all of us recommend the pentax brand adapter and for good reason. you won’t find anyone here who would recommend against it, despite the higher price and limited availability. there are a couple of really high quality japanese brand adapters (one of which I know is available from japan exposures.com) that could be considered better quality but they are also very expensive. the pentax adapter is what you should use, and thats pretty much all there is to it. you will save yourself headaches down the road. don’t be cheap when it comes to these things as you and your lens may end up paying for it later on. suffice to say, its not about the pentax name, its about the quality of the adapter compared to others. at least thats why all of use here recommend it, every time such a topic comes up.
10-04-2011, 06:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Could you take a look at the link I posted above, and tell me objectively why it's inferior? Not trying to be a dick, I honestly want to understand this, but you used a lot of words to say "it's better because it's better, everyone knows that" and it doesn't tell me *why.*

I'm trying to imagine one better than the one I got. It goes on easily, comes off easily, and holds the lens solidly in the mount. The retaining spring is accessible in the notch, which is big enough for me to securely hold back the spring while turning the adapter (so I'm not worried about it getting stuck, it can't). The ring itself is very solid metal, the threads are perfect. What more could I want? Especially to justify $30 more than I paid.
10-04-2011, 06:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Initially I bought a knock-off from a local auction site for ~10 € or so. This is probably the same as the generic ebay flangeless knock-off. Works, but, compared to the genuine Pentax, is a pain to remove from the camera: the knock-off is a bit of a tight fit and needs some sort of a tool to press the lock spring while the genuine item is easy to unlock by the tip of one's fingernail and unscrews effortlessly. Also, manufacturing tolerances have apparently not been too tight: lenses end up quite a bit off from the 12 o'clock position. I found the genuine adapter used from ebay for US$25 (or so); certainly worth that price for the convenience in use alone .
10-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I had to remove the spring clip from an eBay knock-off as it got jammed in the camera. Then when I tried to focus the lens it would just unscrew... Bad idea!
10-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As a person who almost had to cut a brand-x adapter (Bower) off a camera, I think it is important to qualify the notion of "perfectly good". There are a few high quality non-Pentax adapters out there, but they cost even more than the Pentax unit. (I am thinking of the Japanese and British ones with the ridge to depress the auto-aperture pin.) For the most part the brand-x adapters are only good if you remove the retension spring. Even then, there are issues of the quality of finish and poor fit (many will over-rotate in the mount with potential damage to most film bodies).

For those who insist on taking the risk, I suggest they buy a Dremel as insurance.

Steve

(...has mental image of a mirror box full of metal filings...)
10-05-2011, 03:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

often, the knock off adapter wont give you focus in infinity.

and its hard for us to remove it from the mount after we finish using it.

10-05-2011, 05:57 AM   #14
Banned

Could you take a look at the link I posted above, and tell me objectively why it's inferior? Not trying to be a dick, I honestly want to understand this, but you used a lot of words to say "it's better because it's better, everyone knows that" and it doesn't tell me *why.*

I'm trying to imagine one better than the one I got. It goes on easily, comes off easily, and holds the lens solidly in the mount. The retaining spring is accessible in the notch, which is big enough for me to securely hold back the spring while turning the adapter (so I'm not worried about it getting stuck, it can't). The ring itself is very solid metal, the threads are perfect. What more could I want? Especially to justify $30 more than I paid.
I could take the time t give you a list of examples, and I can understand your point of view seeing as you don’t know any better, but I think ill let the comments from the other thread contributors do the speaking. or you can take the time and search the forums for other threads on m42 to K adapters, and you will see all the examples you need to show that I speak the truth. I don’t need to prove the Pentax adapter is worth the price, thats already been done. you need to prove why you think most of us are shelling out money only for the name on the metal rings, as that seems to be why you think everybody wants the pentax version over cheaper offerings. and you need to prove why you somehow think the pentax offering isn’t worth the price, as that also seems to be a frustration for you. lets look at it this way, you can buy the adapter from the same company who invented the Kmount, and pretty much singlehandedly made the m42 mount ‘universal’, and has been making this adapter since 1975, or you can buy a cheaper one. the choice is yours.
10-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

So you don't want to offer a single objective reason why the one I linked is inferior, when I've explained that it works just fine in all respects. I can understand that, it sounds hard to do.

You, and others in this thread made a claim: The Pentax adapter is superior, and you're telling me I have to prove why it isn't? That isn't how these things work. If you make a claim, you back it up, and if instead of backing it up, you say "well prove me wrong" you invalidate any credibility of your original claim. I'm so used to this, when debating theists. "Well prove God doesn't exist!"

Bottom line is, I really don't care anymore. The product I have is fine, and if you or anyone else doesn't want to believe it, by all means shell out to Pentax for something virtually identical. At least the money goes to a company I support. I do think you're spreading misinformation though, unless you can give me an objective reason why the particular ring I linked to is inferior. I don't doubt people have had trouble with some knockoffs, but that's irrelevant to my original query. I'm talking about a specific product that I've had nothing but a good experience with.