Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cwebsterlusk Quote
Same camera and lens that I have. You definitely won't be disappointed.
Is the viewfinder in yours dark-this one is, even with a f/2 lens.

11-04-2011, 04:02 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LightMeter Quote
Is the viewfinder in yours dark
Not really. Its not as bright as my Super Program by any means, but its a while lot brighter than my K20D. Although I will say that in low-light situations (especially indoors) it tends to become a little dark. I rarely shoot it except for being outside on a nice sunny day though.
11-04-2011, 05:34 AM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
What did a poor innocent little K1000 ever do to you?

[/me glances at K1000+M50/2 staring down at me...]
nothing, just don’t like them. not my type, at all. I had a pretty one, and still couldn’t find anything lovely about them. (see photo) I did see a custom black paint one on ebay not too long ago that looked really nice. they lack character though. nothing wrong with that in general operation of course. the old saying certainly applies “everything you need, nothing you don't.” but, in all honesty, none of the K series has ever really appealed to me.
Attached Images

11-04-2011, 06:26 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
I love it partly because of the size and weight. I'm a big guy (6'4" 255lbs) and I have quite large hands. Some of the smaller cameras (like my super Program) can be a little difficult to use for me at times. Not my K1000.

11-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
but, in all honesty, none of the K series has ever really appealed to me.
Just for curiosity, what do you prefer? (Not meant as an attack, just a curiosity)
11-04-2011, 06:47 AM   #21

Original Poster
Which battery does it use? I looked for a LR44 and didn't find one. Is there an equivilant or replacement for LR44?
11-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I believe they're also called A76 or AG13. You can find them on Amazon under any of those designations.

11-04-2011, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #23
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by GhoSStrider Quote
Just for curiosity, what do you prefer? (Not meant as an attack, just a curiosity)
its funny so many people have asked me that recently, especially when I boldly make it clear what I prefer every time I post. see signature. of course, I understand most won’t get that, especially with no built in meter, but its all good. sometimes a camera just speaks to you, you just know its right. a tool is a tool, but there is always a certain degree of personal attachment and fondness for a quality tool, and so when it comes to my choice, that trumps anything else. I have several really nice cameras including Leica, but nothing I have ever held feels more right than my SV. I gave one away as a gift to my ex-fiancé, and though I had no regrets about it, I felt something missing and eventually sold a lot of nice equipment to get my hands on a black body SV. couldn’t be happier. I may be poetic in my ideals, but I think the SV is the best camera Asahi Opt. ever produced. and Ive owned and/or used just about every great pentax (and pre-pentax) camera they ever manufactured.
11-04-2011, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I largely agree with Seamuis. My first good camera was the Honeywell cheaper version - the H1a. It set the standard for what a camera should feel like in your hands. One of my college friends had a couple of Leica M2 at the time (1964), and he wished his Leica lenses felt as good as that Super Takumar 55 f2. Then when we started doing 16x20 enlargements he was also amazed at how sharp it was. After 40 years with other cameras I found a near mint H1a and had Eric do a CLA, and it is just as good as I remembered. So I found another as a backup. Yes, I still like the Spotmatic, MX, and LX (my last film model Pentax), but working with that un-metered H1a is special, and I seem to get shots with it I miss with the others - possibly because I'm not worried about tweeking exposure. I also have Leicas and the major "classic" film SLRs - but the H1a always has that special feel to it.
11-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Interesting...I've never tried any Pentaxes previous to the Spotty. I may have to do some investigating.

Thanks for the info séamuis and TomB_tx!
11-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #26
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by GhoSStrider Quote
Interesting...I've never tried any Pentaxes previous to the Spotty. I may have to do some investigating.

Thanks for the info séamuis and TomB_tx!
you won’t be disappointed. some people here say there is little difference between a spotmatic and its older siblings as there was never a huge change in the overall design and layout of controls for Pentax cameras, but I have and still disagree. especially when you are using pre-super-takumar lenses i.e. auto-takumar and takumar presets. its a completely different feel in your hands and subsequently a different experience in use. I also agree with Tom about the lack of a built in meter. its great to have, and it can be limiting in a host of situations when you haven’t one, but once you adapt yourself to working without it, it frees you up from worrying about getting things ‘just right’ and can better concentrate on just capturing moments. many a great spontaneous portrait I have nabbed because I just quickly grabbed it and didn’t even worry that the exposure was perfect or not. film has great latitude anyway, so it doesn’t need perfection. the simplistic nature of these pre-spotmatic cameras creates a very unique experience that can indeed radically change your entire experience with photography. I have two K-7s that are strictly tools for work, but my SV is far more than that. its a life capturing and preserving best friend that is with me everywhere, and will remain as such so long as film exists.

Last edited by séamuis; 11-04-2011 at 08:04 AM.
11-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No Meter

I find the direction this thread traveled to be quite intriguing. I do love my K1000, but I have never tried any pre-Spottie Pentax cameras. I don't know why I never thought to try out the older Pentax/Honeywell cameras but I might look around and see what I can find to try it out.

I do enjoy using my older Ansco rangefinders and I find that film is usually pretty forgiving when you base most of your exposure decisions on the Sunny F16 Rule. I had never considered that being without a light meter would make me a better photographer. I am willing to give it a try though I am pretty sure it will take a lot more than that to make me a better photographer

Great ideas.
11-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #28
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I am willing to give it a try though I am pretty sure it will take a lot more than that to make me a better photographer
learning to see, is what will make you a better photographer. nothing else is more important than that. as for meters vs non-meter in cameras, i would certainly argue in favor of restricting yourself can be freeing in other ways, which can be very beneficial to learning photography, more importantly, be beneficial to learning to see. but I think it may not be for everyone. I would however urge anyone and everyone trying take photography seriously, to pick up a camera like this. because forcing yourself to think in new ways, and to see in new ways will be far more beneficial in learning what needs to be learned. a quote I always go to is by the late garry winogrand: "You have a lifetime to learn technique. But I can teach you what is more important than technique, how to see; learn that and all you have to do afterwards is press the shutter.”

you don’t need a complicated camera to learn to see. in fact I would argue in most cases that the more complicated your equipment, the more difficult it is to learn. there is little difference in basic idea between a spotmatic and a pre-spotmatic camera in truth, because besides a subtle change in body design the only real difference in paper is the built in meter, so you could use a spotmatic with no batteries and get the same thing. but there is something special indeed about the pre-spotmatic Pentax cameras, and anyone who used one will likely agree.
11-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I find the direction this thread traveled to be quite intriguing. I do love my K1000, but I have never tried any pre-Spottie Pentax cameras. I don't know why I never thought to try out the older Pentax/Honeywell cameras but I might look around and see what I can find to try it out.
I don't know what the status of the "Sightseer" is, but taking a turn with that camera totally biased my attitude of what constitutes nice handling and balance. Simply put, the SV rocks!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/45892-sightseeing-screwmount.html
You might want to consider joining the club.

Steve
11-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I bought a new K1000 + M50/2 combo for college back in the mid-'80s and used it until last year, and I probably shot 30 rolls of film with it in an average year. It's a wonderfully functional device but it's pretty devoid of character. Maybe if it had a little more heft or the sounds made by the shutter had a more mechanical nature, I don't know. I can't say that I miss the camera but I do miss the very simple and basic process of taking a photograph. A person could shoot with a K1000 only and be very happy but I think the next logical step for a Pentax shooter would be an LX, an early M42 Asahi/Pentax as mentioned above, or a Leica/Contax/Nikon rangefinder style camera. I've also used older Nikon SLR gear and found the same lack of character with the cameras. Not that you must have it but the ergonomic and sensory inputs from an excellent camera do help a person to focus on the image.

About the M50/2, it's compact and light weight but it gives obvious patterns in out of focus areas letting you know how many aperture blades it has unless used wide open. I found the M50/1.7 to be a wise upgrade and an older SMC-Takumar 50/1.4 to be down right wonderful.