Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K2 ASA Dial Theory

OK - so much is written about the quirky ASA dial on the K2. I don't intend to take one apart - ever - but I have an interesting take on my K2 and the film speed dial. Generally, to adjust the film speed on the K2 the exposure adjust dial must be at "1" and then you depress the ASA lever and move the dial. When you adjust the exposure setting dial the ASA dial moves in unison, i.e. adjust one exposure and the film speed dial moves one. So the whole purpose of the exposure adjustment ring is to move the ASA dial - so I think.

Well, my K2 does not have the ASA lever - I don't know if it was broken off or what - but I have a theory that maybe it was removed on purpose! The film speed dial moves easily all the time but does not move in sync with the exposure adjustment. So I am thinking all the exposure adjust does anyway is to move the film speed setting to get the adjustment effect. So on my K2 if you use the exposure adjustment lever you have to move the ASA dial also - or just move the ASA dial in the first place for exposure adjustment and ignore the exposure adjustment dial completely - of course you have to remember to put the film speed back again. I know this is a way to adjust exposure on other cameras with the adjustment feature.

So while some may say I have a "broken" K2 - I think I might have an improved K2?

Any thoughts?

12-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does it Work?

If this is true, does your exposure compensation actually work? If it was originally designed to work by changing the ISO how does yours work now? There are only three things that change exposure, Lens Opening, Shutter Speed and ISO setting. So every camera that provides exposure compensation has to be adjusting one of those three settings. I would suspect that your exposure compensation is not actually working.
12-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am going to shoot a roll of film testing my theory - but to answer your question I think the answer is "no" - moving the exposure compensation now is does nothing because it is not linked to the ISO - but since on a properly fitted K2 moving the exposure compensation dial move the ISO it is just a short-hand way of adjusting the film speed - so my point was, rather that move the exposure comp on my K2 just move the ISO - should be the same result. Without the film speed lever/lock, adjusting the film speed is much easier than push this and turn that.
12-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I assume that all K2s should have the same mechanism excepting of course that it could be broken as seems to be your case, and time, age, handling, and weather has affected each camera differently.
On my K2, the ISO ring and E.C. (exposure compensation) ring are coupled (two separate rings linked together) and there is a mark on the E.C. ring for ASA aka ISO. There is also a mark on the lens mount itself used for setting E.C.
When adjusting E.C., both ring being still coupled, turn together and you can set E.C. to 1/4, 1/2, 1x, 2, and 4. Which is a total of 5 stops of adjustment.
Now, to set ISO (on my camera) there is a button (not a lever) on the bottom of the lens mount that when pressed, uncouples the the ASA ring from the E.C. ring and allows the ASA ring to turn freely of the E.C. ring. Now assuming I have the E.C. ring set at 1x, I then have 11 stops of adjustment on the ASA ring, plus 2 more stops on the E.C. ring which gives me 13 stops of adjustment.
It seems to me that if your ASA button is broken/missing, and you use the E.C. as a workaround, while it will work, it will be very limiting as to what ISO you can use.

Edit: Just though I would add that on my K2, since it is easier for me to adjust ISO than E.C., I use the ISO ring for compensation which since the K2s shutter is stepless in Auto mode, it has the added benefit of getting 1/3 stop exposure compensation.

Last edited by Swift1; 12-12-2011 at 12:42 PM.
12-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes your last comment Swift is where I am at. I have full range of ISO movement and can use it to set film speed and E.C. The camera is in great shape otherwise and at this time don't see any reason at all to pay to have the ISO locking lever replaced. I don't use the E.C. ring at all since they aren't coupled any longer at all. I have a second k2 with the ISO button (lever) and I can see how they work - it just seems clear that all the E.C. ring does is move the ISO anyway.
12-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing.
Sounds like you're good to go, as long as you get the full ASA range. When I first got my K2, I tried the E.C. to make sure it worked and then set it to 1x and haven't moved it since. I personally love the K2s ASA ring, it's one of my favorite things about the camera.
12-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Things are improved a little with the K2DMD. With the addition of a "Judas" window you get a warning if the EC is set to anything other than 1x. (The aperture number changes to orange.) As for the broken ASA ring/button, Eric fixed mine after a local repair shop broke the button off on one of my K2s.

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 12-12-2011 at 02:07 PM.