Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-18-2012, 01:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I think you be better off buying a damaged ME S with good shutter and replacing the whole shutter assembly.
It's very hard to calibrate the curtains springs, and it's most likely not worth the effort. Also I see a lot of corrosion on the shutter blades. That paint is a pain.
Edit: I just noticed it's not your photo.

P.S. Adam, a repair forum would be a great idea, with MyPentax.com closed and all.

01-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by octavmandru Quote
I think you be better off buying a damaged ME S with good shutter and replacing the whole shutter assembly.
It's very hard to calibrate the curtains springs, and it's most likely not worth the effort. Also I see a lot of corrosion on the shutter blades. That paint is a pain.
Edit: I just noticed it's not your photo.

P.S. Adam, a repair forum would be a great idea, with MyPentax.com closed and all.
I appreciate your advice but if it is only a question of cleaning the shutter then I first want to try that before I use the camera as a parts camera (where I initially bought it for)
01-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
As the first ME Super is now working, obviously I had to go and buy a broken black one.

I'd hoped this was going to be an easy repair and just needed a little coaxing into action, but this is the second piece of metal I have pulled out of the bottom with a tweezers, and I think it's going to have trouble operating without this part!

I figure options at this point are a) buy a third 'spares or repair' one off ebay and hope this bit isn't broken, b) try to track down a replacement part (I have no idea what this is even called), or c) swap the much nicer black bodywork with my working silver one that's getting me through my photography class.
Apart from having been mangled inside, this one has been loved and even came with the original case. On the other hand that is the second damaged lever I've found under the bottom cover so could there be more horrors to find or is that likely to be it?
Not sure which way to go with this one...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot A1200  Photo 
01-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blacknosugar Quote
As the first ME Super is now working, obviously I had to go and buy a broken black one.

I'd hoped this was going to be an easy repair and just needed a little coaxing into action, but this is the second piece of metal I have pulled out of the bottom with a tweezers, and I think it's going to have trouble operating without this part!

I figure options at this point are a) buy a third 'spares or repair' one off ebay and hope this bit isn't broken, b) try to track down a replacement part (I have no idea what this is even called), or c) swap the much nicer black bodywork with my working silver one that's getting me through my photography class.
Apart from having been mangled inside, this one has been loved and even came with the original case. On the other hand that is the second damaged lever I've found under the bottom cover so could there be more horrors to find or is that likely to be it?
So, what stops you to replace the top and the bottom cover on the silver one with the black ones? It's as easy as it sounds, I think. Parts should be swap-able. Saves you from lots of trouble.

01-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
But that's like harvesting organs!

Yes it should be pretty easy, (there's the bit around the lens mount too), it's just sentiment - this one just feels newer, feels like it's been better taken care of apart from being broken. That and as these are becoming antiques, kind of wanting to keep it as original as possible.
Anyone know if parts like this from the ME or MV or something will fit?
01-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #21

This broken lever should be placed under the bottom of the mirror housing where it is attached to other levers and a very strong spring. I see the same lever risiding in my MG, albeit in a dark color. Since the MG is one of the last types of the M-series I guess this part should be available in every M. Your lever has a broken ring where the screw mounts that attaches the lever to the body.

Btw I know someone in the Netherlands who might have that part, he just sent me some other parts from a parts M-camera

Last edited by Ron (Netherlands); 01-19-2012 at 03:47 PM.
01-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #22

But that's like harvesting organs!

Yes it should be pretty easy, (there's the bit around the lens mount too),
Indeed not easy: one can only change the lensmount part after an almost complete disassemble, at least the mirror housing should come off.

Last edited by Ron (Netherlands); 01-19-2012 at 04:10 PM.
01-22-2012, 05:33 AM   #23
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron (Netherlands) Quote
Since the MG is one of the last types of the M-series I guess this part should be available in every M.
They are related to the ME or in the family line... ME, ME Super, MV, MV1, MEII (AF), MG.

MX of course is not because of the cloth shutter curtain.

it's just sentiment - this one just feels newer, feels like it's been better taken care
The new look or "gently used" condition is not always positive. It could mean the camera had a bad part installed the day of manufacture and broken soon after being unboxed and then spent the rest of its time in a drawer.

My very-very-very first LX back in 1984-ish snapped something inside soon after unboxing and required an entire new body given to me... never told why? However, another new fresh from the box body made it easy to forget.