Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which autofocus pentax to keep?

I think I need to scale back my collection somewhat and I wonder about the price/utility tradeoff if I have to keep only one or two of my autofocus pentax bodies. Here is the line-up to choose from. I know which one is the concensus "best" but what is the trade off for price vs value? Anything I might not have considered? I plan to use them and not leave them on the shelf.

1.MZ-S - mint in box - no battery grip

2.MZ-5n - CLA and new improved gears and flash updated - minty

3.SF-1n - mint

4.PZ-1 - mint (not the PZ-1p)

All of them work. Fire away!

12-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What matters is what features do you need/prefer. I'm in similar position, and keeping the Z-1 (p in my case). Most powerful of them all, and does not require lens with aperture ring for full operation.
12-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From the user point of view, I would keep MZ-5N for the following reasons: 1. it's smaller and lighter, 2. has user selectable metering modes, 3. it is durable after the mirror motor gear is replaced, 4. much easier to operate with retro-dials. (8000th of a second is useless on film). Sell the other 3 and invest the money on forthcoming Pentax FF camera. Some one in my area offered me a MZ-S at very reasonable price, but I decided not to buy any more film body as I was planning to go 100% digital.

Last edited by violini; 12-15-2011 at 10:02 PM.
12-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would probably hang onto the MZ-5n for its good mix of features and the ability to use AA batteries seeing as you have already taken care of the two common problems with the body. The MZ-S shares the MZ-5n's program mode only limitations when using lenses without aperture rings and it is worth a whole lot more.

If you are willing to deal with the more obscure batteries the PZ-1 would probably be my second choice.

12-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #5

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is ergonomics and personal taste. Which ones do you "like" to shoot the most and feel the best as far as handling. It may have all the features in the world but if it's not fun to shoot then what's the point. I own some of the bodies on your list and they run the spectrum of size and features. If I had to pick two, I'd pick one with features and the second one would be one that is fun to shoot that I'd be prone to carry with me often. Hope this helps.