Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
By the way, are there any online tutorials on how to replace the light seals (where to get the materials, etc..)? I wan't to start shooting film right away, but the upper and lower light seals are pretty much non existent.

12-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
My $11.00 Fujica 605n arrived! It's in very good condition and everything works. I'll have to replace the light seals and mirror bumper though as they are pretty gummy.

Can't wait to try my Takumars with it!

Beautiful! I have to admit to feeling the CBA bug stirring

Steve
12-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

By the way, are there any online tutorials on how to replace the light seals (where to get the materials, etc..)? I wan't to start shooting film right away, but the upper and lower light seals are pretty much non existent.
Buy the seals as a kit from Jon Goodman (about $10 USD). The kit will come with detailed instructions specific to your camera. He used to sell on eBay, but I am not sure how is is managing his business at present. PM me if you want his e-mail.

Steve
12-29-2011, 05:10 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
He used to have a web page with camera specific instructions - I didn't find it this morning via google, plus Jon's not selling via ebay at the moment. The procedure itself is super easy - the hardest part maybe is the removal of the old gunk from the camera.

If you really have the yen, use electrical tape on the outside to seal the back while waiting for materials. The mirror bumper may be sticky - this is no big problem, with my 605 I just shook the camera a bit after the shot and the mirror would drop back down.

12-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, my Spotmatic and Super Tak 50mm F1.4 came in last night. I'll clean them up and post a few pictures.

The Spotty and Tak are in excellent shape, except for one thing. Someone engraved their name on the side of the prism and on the bottom of the lens . If I'd have known that, I probably would have passed. THe engraving isn't deep at all, so I'll see if I can polish them out.

Other than that, it is in good working order. I like the sound of the Spotmatic's shutter better than the Fujica (quieter and smoother sounding), but I like the Fujica's size better.

I finished replacing the light seals in the Fujica last night and will do the Spotmatics ones tonight. So, I think I'll pick up a few rolls of film today and go shooting over the weekend.

I'll post some of the better photos when I get them developed.
12-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #51

Well, my Spotmatic and Super Tak 50mm F1.4 came in last night. I'll clean them up and post a few pictures.

The Spotty and Tak are in excellent shape, except for one thing. Someone engraved their name on the side of the prism and on the bottom of the lens . If I'd have known that, I probably would have passed.
If that engraving was neither mentioned in the auction listing nor shown in the pictures accompanying the auction, you might have a case there to try to negotiate the seller refunding a bit of what you paid. (Probably not worth hassle of shipping back etc. to completely unwind the sale, for only $46 total.) The engraving would be material to the collectible value of the equipment--not that you care if you just want the kit as a user, but you never know when you might end up reselling. So that was a pretty shady listing if it was omitted. OTOH if it was in the pictures and you just overlooked it, er, slap forehead, chalk it up to buying in the heat of GAS, and move on!
--Dave