Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best Place for Fast Development?

I'm just now getting into the film side of photography and I'm wondering where is the best place to get film developed and high quality scans taken? I'd like to use a chain type store as I really don't want to ship the film out for development and scanning. I'm a little too impatient for that, used to shooting digital and all .

If I start to like using film, it will probably end up like everything else I do and become a small obsession, so I'll probably end up buying my own scanner and development setup sometime in the future. For now though, I'd like to get some decent scans of my negatives. So far, I've only developed one roll, and the scans were very bad (I watched them scan the whole 24 exposures in about 15 seconds).

Thanks for the help.

01-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I can't say I have ever seen a 1 hour slide processing high quality scanning type chain stores even in the heydays.

Closest I can recommend is using fine negatives so you can use corner drug stores like CVS for less then 1 hour processing. For scanning, I do it myself with a Coolscan 9000.

Here in Atlanta, there is a same day slide developing shop named E-Six but I don't know of any in your neck of the woods.
01-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I would look for a more professional camera shop around you if you want high quality scans and relatively quick service. Unfortunately, just about every drugstore/retail chain photo labs have horrible scans. The best I've come across was actually at Wal Mart, putting out something close to a 5 mp image if I recall correctly. Other than that, I'd say better start shopping for a scanner soon! Best of luck and have lots of fun.
01-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you do choose to mail your film, I can recommend Dwayne's Photo (Kansas). They do a nice job & pretty fast service, but it can get expensive. If you're gonna shoot a lot of film, def. look for a scanner.

Last edited by paulh; 01-06-2012 at 07:38 AM.
01-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In my VERY limited experience shooting film, there is just something about an old metal all manual screwmount that I really like, so I think I'll be shooting a lot of film in the future.

I'll more than likely buy a scanner, but in the meantime, I'd like to get some decent scans.

I might see how well my flatbed scanner, or even my DSLR with a macro lens works. Both would probably be MUCH better than what I got back from Walgreens.
01-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
I might see how well my flatbed scanner, or even my DSLR with a macro lens works. Both would probably be MUCH better than what I got back from Walgreens.
I can guarantee they will. Even the flatbed.
01-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
I'm just now getting into the film side of photography and I'm wondering where is the best place to get film developed and high quality scans taken? I'd like to use a chain type store as I really don't want to ship the film out for development and scanning. I'm a little too impatient for that, used to shooting digital and all .

If I start to like using film, it will probably end up like everything else I do and become a small obsession, so I'll probably end up buying my own scanner and development setup sometime in the future. For now though, I'd like to get some decent scans of my negatives. So far, I've only developed one roll, and the scans were very bad (I watched them scan the whole 24 exposures in about 15 seconds).

Thanks for the help.
Try DR5 Chrome, they are located in Denver.

dr5 CHROME - Black and White slide - transparency process + THE ONLY AGFA SCALA PROCESSING WORLDWIDE

Phil.