Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2007, 07:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
rechargeable 2CR5 batteries for PZ-1

I tried this in the accessories forum and got no response so Ill try here.

Has anyone tried a rechargeable 2CR5 batteri in a PZ-1. There are several 600mA Hour batteries on the market.

Although I have gone mostly digital, I still take out the PZ-1 from time to time, and usually find it with a dead battery. I think a rechargeable is the way to go and would be interested in any one's comments if they have tried one. What kind of life, no of shots with and wiothout internal flash etc.

12-31-2007, 11:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I also have a Z-1 but seldom use nowadays. However, even if I am going to use this camera frequently, I will not consider to try a rechargeable 2CR5. Mainly because this camera had stopped producion and electronic spare parts should not be easily available if there is any malfunction.
Why I am saying this is because I have heard from some users with rechargeable batteries for their Pentax Dlsr (DS, K100D etc) have encountered damages to their pop-up flashes due to the unstable voltages of the rechargeable batteries.
Therefore special cares must be taken when using the rechargeable, such as not to use the pop-up flash when batteries are frenshly recharged. Also, only use good quality rechargeable batteries and chargers.
I also doubt there may be a side effect of slowering the AF speed when using the rechargeable, but of course this is only my guess without proof.
So, I myself would not dare to take this risk especially my Z-1 is a 75th anniversary version.
How about taking off your battery from the camera when not in use? May be this could prolong your battery's life.
Best regards.
12-31-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
thanks for the response.

i am surprized however about damage to the camera.

I have used rechargeables (nickle metal hydride) in my *istD since the onset, and in my EI-200 before that with no issue

My AF500FTZ has had a steady diet of either Nickle metal or Nicad rechargeables since new with my PZ-1 and no issue.

It sounds like people using something different than recommended
12-31-2007, 02:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got the information from a Taiwan Pentax fan site. A site in chinese language.
Some people are reporting that poor quality rechargeable CRV3 had damaged the flash of K100d. Even if using the good quality ones, should pay attention to the voltages after recharging. Of course, Offical Pentax never suggest to use rechargeable 2CRV3 for the camera.