Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Schneider-Kreuznach question

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I bought a Schneider-Kreuznach from a guy here in Norway and I am thinking about selling it or not.. Guess I will not use it a whole lot. I was hoping for some information and help with this lens from the great forum members!

1. The tripod thread on the lens doesn't fit a normal tripod, does anyone know of an adapter?
2. Has anyone seen one for sale and what it could be worth?

It is a tele-xenar 350mm f5.5 tele lens. See the enclosed photo of my nice japanease only-version of Electro Spotmatic.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
02-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

There's a post about this lens here somewhere, do a search!

The tripod mount may be a German size, you need one of these:
Amazon.com: 3/8" to 1/4" Tripod Thread Adapter (3 Pack): Camera & Photo

They are pretty widely available, these thread adapters.

That is some mighty lens!
02-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You probably have a 3/8" tripod socket on the lens, you will need one of these to mount the lens using the more common 1/4x20 tripod socket to your tripod: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/5pcs-1-4-3-8-Convert-Screw-Adapter-Tripod-/2807061619...item415b641d28

As for the value, I have no idea. I certainly wouldn't pay the kind of price being asked on eBay for this slow preset lens. I don't see much info on this lens out on the net, perhaps you should shoot with it somewhat extensively and draw your own conclusions. Schneider-Kreuznach have excellent optics, this lens has longer reach than the run-of-the-mill 300/5.6 preset lenses. I would test it thoroughly before deciding to keep it or not.
02-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Testing.. testing..

Thanks!!

I will try it out a few more times on my K20D. There wasnt much to find on the internet while searching for this one. Only one entry here on the forums but else not a whole lot.

Doesn't any one here on the formum have any expericens with it?

02-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
You probably have a 3/8" tripod socket on the lens, you will need one of these to mount the lens using the more common 1/4x20 tripod socket to your tripod: 5pcs 1/4" to 3/8" Convert Screw Adapter for Tripod | eBay
Thanks for that! I just ordered one, for my old Zeiss Ikonta B521/16. I'd rigged up a Rube Goldberg assemblage of bolts, brackets and nuts to fit this fine old MF cam to a modern tripod. This will be much easier!

Meanwhile: Schneider is one of the planet's leading lensmakers, period. Good commercial optics and the absolute best high-end glass. But they don't/haven't made many lenses adaptable to Pentax. Their Isco subsidiary made various lenses for M42 and other mounts. I love those, want more. My favorites: Isco Westron 35/2.8 in M42, and the Schneider Betavaron 50-125mm enlarger zoom, my weirdest+greatest lens, nearly 1kg of brutally sharp glass.
02-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
RioRico: Can you poste a photo of that big hot lens?
02-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Meanwhile: Schneider is one of the planet's leading lensmakers, period. Good commercial optics and the absolute best high-end glass.
Plus the great B+W filter range.

Phil.

02-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
RioRico: Can you poste a photo of that big hot lens?
Technical problems prevent me from posting my own shots now, so here are a couple Googled images. Remember that the Betavaron is an enlarger zoom. Here is the Schneider page on the old version. Both pictures below show the newer version, which is what I have.

Comparison between the Betavaron, the 150mm Wollensak, and the 80mm Rodenstock Rodagon (enlarger lenses)

Pretty much what my Betavaron + focusing helicoid or extension look like when mounted. (link is NSFW)

Doesn't look like much, eh? Hint: It is solid. The body is metal. The glass is thick. With M42 17-35mm focusing helicoid, the Betavaron 3,5...11/0.08 (50-125mm f/4-5.6) is ~13cm long and weighs 880g. For comparison, the Vivitar-Kiron Series 1 Version 1 70-210/3.5 is ~18cm long and weighs the same. My only heavier lenses are monsters like the Lil'Bigma 170-500 and a Russian 1000mm mirror, although the Rodenstock XR-Heligon 120/1.8 comes close at 870g. Those strange numbers refer to magnification, 3.5-11x. The aperture is only marked 1-2-3-4-5. Without a focusing helicoid, I focus by changing focal length (magnification), so it's 50mm at infinity and 125mm at close-focus.

Backstory: The Betavaron had a list price of US$3500. A couple years ago, a liquidator cleared a warehouse full of them in USA, from a supplier named Kreonite. Typical eBay price was US$70 NIB. What a deal! Current prices are somewhat higher but it's still an awful lot of glass for the money.

Last edited by RioRico; 02-01-2012 at 09:19 PM.